THR THR/A Doing Well

Rock on! :chuckmarch: Have a nice Memorial weekend!
@ForumUser

Good day!

Skipped my mid day Tylenol ... took just now, so can drop back to 3 g/day or less. No issues with 4 g, but looking to adjust as needed.

Leg muscles continue to loosen, but gonna take some time. Exercises a bit easier, and walks a bit further. Could tell the distance change , but ice and elevate helps!

Did some more reading on the Zip System they used for closure ... very interesting solution with supposedly less chance of infection as there are no staples, stitches or additional skin perforations. Will see how it peels off next week. Does have a pronounced FrankenHip appearance.

Does have a pronounced FrankenHip appearance.
:wink:

"Beware. I am fearless. Therefore, I am powerful."
Frankenstein

Hope all keeps getting better and better!

OK sleep, but a bit more fitful ... woke up several times as I tried to roll over to the operative hip. The downside of the Zip system may be that the device is proud of the skin by 1/16” or so.

I had a fun day with couple longer walks, exercises, but probably overdid it a bit by putting on R&B channel and “dancing” around for 15 minutes ... felt good, but muscles sore this morning.

Day 11

OK today, but friends visited from out of town and I way overdid it ... exercised and walked, but didn’t elevate and ice, and by 7 pm operative area was feeling a swollen and stiff.

Definitely ready for bed!

Sorry you cracked the door open to the ODIC - OverDid It Club
It happens. Glad you recognize the need to baby this hip.
Easy does it today and :ice:

:happyfeet: Might be a little early for "dancing" even for only 15 mins.
Nothing like a quick drive thru the ODIC to help us balance activity.
I'm sure rest, ice and elevation today will help.
Wishing you comfort.
@ForumUser

Day 12

Ha ... yeah ... ODIC.

Slept ok ... still being careful with the Zip Line ends. Bruising continuing to fade, but was pretty widespread.

Music kinda interesting in that it helps prevent limping as the beat gives one a mark to follow ...

Probably will ease more into the dance component

Felt better today ...friends visiting from out of town so took short walk with them thus morning. Exercised a bit. Lots of elevate and ice. Another longer walk as it cooled off. More elevate and ice.

Walking does not really “feel” much better, and leg muscles sore, but no real pain.

Bruising continuing to fade.

Day 13

Sore operative leg muscles, and sort non operative leg muscles.

Still in the ODIC, I guess ... definitely gonna slow down today.

Hi @ForumUser
If you're not opposed to it, following the Activity Progression for THR from the Recovery Guidelines should keep you out of trouble. I referred to it often. It's when we get ahead of ourselves that we often get into trouble. Take a look and see what you think -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
Hope you feel better after another day of rest.
A great day to you!

Thanks ... I’m doing a bit too much ... kinda in week three with walking, so may tune back a bit ... feeling better now after a few minutes walking in house ... and, I assisted in washing wife’s car. - hose handling, only

Elevate and ice right now ... feels good!

Tylenol still doing the job on pain!

Well, I’ve managed to turn ok recovery into painful recovery ...

Today the walking pain increased ... from near zero to maybe 3-5 ... location is back side of the lower hip area, much sharper pain. No pain without weight on it. No pain from the surgical incision.

Does this sound like ODIC effect? Went from no pain, then slow increase over three days, to sore muscles, to pretty distinct weight-based pain presenting in the joint area?

Off of it now ...

Sounds like you've earned a few days in the icing chair. I was there a few times, gives you time to think and worry about whether you screwed up the implant or it's just tissue pain. Most likely tissue and sitting and icing will make it better.

Good Afternoon @ForumUser
Yes, in my opinion, you overdid it. Let's look back...

Leg muscles continue to loosen, but gonna take some time. Exercises a bit easier, and walks a bit further. Could tell the distance change, but ice and elevate helps!

Friday - You added distance to your walk and were doing exercises which really aren't necessary.

I had a fun day with couple longer walks, exercises, but probably overdid it a bit by putting on R&B channel and “dancing” around for 15 minutes ... felt good, but muscles sore this morning.

Saturday - Longer walks, exercises, dancing for 15 mins.

Felt better today ...friends visiting from out of town so took short walk with them thus morning. Exercised a bit. Lots of elevate and ice. Another longer walk as it cooled off. More elevate and ice.

Yesterday - Walking in the a.m. Exercises. Walking again later.

I think your best bet would be to stop the exercises as they're really not necessary.
Following is the BIG TIP from the Recovery Guidelines -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Consider icing any / all areas of discomfort for 40-60 mins, no less, each time you ice. Target 4x daily. Not sure if you're taking anything....if not, you may want to until you're feeling better. The forum Nurse recommends Extra Strength Tylenol at 1000 mg (4x daily) not to exceed 4000 mg in any 24 hr period.

I hope you feel better soon. With rest, icing, OTC meds and no exercise, I think you'll bounce back quickly. If you're willing, try to follow the Activity Progression for THR guidelines increasing your walks accordingly. I really believe it will keep you out of trouble.

Ha ... yeah ...payback.

I have been careful to put no more than normal weight on the op leg ... walks have not been strenuous ... nothing extreme, just maybe early.

I’m in iced penance!

Layla,

Yes ... been using Tylenol only since day of op. Have not had any issues with pain, even while walking, until two days ago.

Have consistently iced and elevated 4-6 times a day.

And since you'll only be two weeks post op tomorrow, without significant pain and using only Tylenol, it's very easy to overdo it.....which you now understand through experience.
Wishing you comfort as you do your penance on ice :ice:

Day 14

Pretty good sleep last night - no indication of the walking pain while sleeping. Inadvertently rolled over on the op side several times, no real pain - just recognition that I should roll back the other way. Btw, one of the characteristics of the zip line closure system is the ends of the short ties/straps sometimes get caught on clothing.

I don’t think the walking pain is quite as bad, today. I babied it yesterday using a crutch.

Layla, could you take a shot explaining what you think the sharp “walking” pain is caused by - no standing pain, just when the weight shift occurs during step. Reading provided a very long list of potential issues, but most sounded more severe than my recent ... there are a few tendinitis effects that sound like the more common issue at this point.

I’ll be xrayed tomorrow which should assist in diagnosing any device or implant issues.

@ForumUser Are you taking any medication for pain. At only days out of major surgery you should be trying to stay ahead of post op pain. Tylenol only may not be enough.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back