THR THR/A Doing Well

ForumUser

senior
Country
United States United States
Left THR/A on 14 May
Posterior Approach

Far different from first THR/A (2000) on right hip. (early life injuries from horses, motorcycles, falls in cold-weather inclement remote military sites and circumstances)

Some pain establishing nerve block - finding right spot. 0720 start, and 0815 close.

Limited oxycodone - 5 mg in recovery room, 10 mg twice day of op, with last at 1730 same day. None since. 1000 mg Tylenol every 6-8 hours. Discharged day following op - was offered opportunity to do the procedure outpatient, but had just turned 65 and Medicare requires at least one night in hospital.

Recovery room experience different than first hip. First time was fully covered staff working several types of surgeries, whereas this one was joint replacement area so was more casual and friendly, without full bio suits. First hip I spent three nights in hospital.

First PT "walk the hall" occurred about an hour after I returned from the recovery room, around 1030, or so same day. Staff monitored vitals all day with usual drip for antibiotics, blood thinner, stool softener, etc. Chatted with staff, had great breakfast and then lunch, etc. Oxycodone probably kept edge off during that period of time.

Slept OK for a couple hours at a time the one night in hospital - the usual interruptions to measure BP, oxygen, etc. And, a 0200 blood work call. By 0600, I was well awake and ready to get going.

PT discussion regarding exercises, etc, and walk the halls at 0830, occupational therapy discussion at 1000, and was released at around 1100 - back home by 1130 day following surgery.

Evaluated options for using a walker and/or crutches and decided to use both a bit ... walker is easier to carry stuff around :). Tylenol, Celebrex, and 81 mg aspirin.

Walking getting easier each day ... icing every couple of hours. Looking forward to full recovery!

Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery :welome: Thanks for joining us, it sounds like you're doing very well so far. Check out the Recovery Guidelines below and stop back often. We'd love to follow your journey.
Happy Sunday!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @ForumUser

Last edited:
Quick update ... end of 5th day. Tylenol keeping edge off. Being careful on the “don’t do” list.

Drinking more fluids than usual, but seems to help with alertness.

Walking hourly at least around the house for maybe five minutes at a time. Stiffness is decreasing. Full weight bearing, but being careful to maintain crutch or walker position. Can maneuver around kitchen using countertops pretty comfortably.

Icing with legs elevated seems pretty comfortable.

No formal pt scheduled - they may want to discuss in 10 days when I go back for first post op visit. Have been using an app called MedbridgeGo ... short videos on exercises ... straightforward. Being careful not to overdo.

Bruising inside thigh and on ankle yesterday. Today bruising noted back of leg. Wound pain level about the same - tolerable with Tylenol.

You're really doing amazingly well for only 5 days post op.
I like your sensible measured approach. I believe it will serve you well.
Sweet dreams tonight! :yawn: :sleep:

6th morning update.

Bruising fading to yellow inner thigh and back of leg. A bit of bruising starting to show just outside bandaged area.

Good night sleep with pillow between legs ... keeping legs parallel.

Continuing with Tylenol every 6-8 hours ... no real issues with pain.

Started the ice and elevate for another day!

Exercises next!!

Love reading how well you are doing! I’m having my RTHR/posterior done this Thursday and keeping a positive attitude that my recovery will go as well as yours.

Yours will go better than you imagine! You will likely wonder why you waited so long :)

The first one was in 2000 as a 45 yr old with a positive attitude and returned to work and play with kids 10 and 15 within a couple of months. It changed my life!

The devices, procedures and pain management are so much improved, now.

Smile when you remember how much the previous pain and lack of mobility was, and how it has changed ... walk, walk, walk ... tell everyone how happy you are and you will feel better and recover better!

One week today.

Consistent pattern with a bit of improvement each day.

Meds - 1000 mg Tylenol at 0700, 1300-1400, and 2200. 81 mg aspirin at 0700 and 1900. 200 mg Celebrex at 0700 and 1900.

Ice about once an hour to once every two hours.

Walk every hour for about 5-10 minutes - crutch and walker as very light assistance.

Exercises 2-3 times a day.

A bit more tired this morning so I may have overdone the walking yesterday. Moving leg around under sheets in bed seemed more comfortable this morning - kinda more natural. Pretty darn tired of keeping leg geometry the same with pillow between and not being able to lay on wound side, yet.

Bruising yellowing more so apparently normal process is occurring with bilirubin - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilirubin

I have full feeling with entire leg, knee, foot and toes - no numbness anywhere.

Good Morning, @ForumUser
A yellow bruise is a fading / healing bruise.

The heaviness in your leg is due to swelling. Please read the article on proper elevating from the Recovery Guidelines - http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/pain-and-swelling-control-elevation-is-the-key.7602/

Also icing multiple times per day for 40-60 minutes, no less, each time you ice, may help with the swelling which will help with the sensation of heaviness in the leg. - http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/ice-to-control-pain-and-swelling.5493/

It sounds like you're doing really well for only one week post op.
Happy One Week Anniversary! I hope you have a great day.

Leg doesn't feel "heavy." No apparent swelling. I'm probably pretty close to 30-40 minutes on icing but will strive to increase.

I'm elevating consistent with the link ... again, no apparent swelling thus far.

Thanks for reviewing!

Sleep is VERY important ... slept ok last night, got up 0630 or so, but by 1030 it was clear a nap was appropriate. 1.5 hour nap and felt much better!

Staying very hydrated also VERY important ... every time I didn’t drink enough fluids I began to drag.

Tylenol still working magic.

Good day, today. After the nap I felt waaay better!

Have shifted to cane and trying to square up shoulders and body walking around house. I know the toughest thing is going to be getting my gait reestablished.

Only did exercises twice, but iced longer per Layla advice.

Pretty darn mobile and beginning to unconsciously move leg around to do things like push sheets out of the way, or move clothing into position on floor prior to grabbing with the grabber device ... when elevating leg as sliding onto sofa it is much easier, requiring less concentration.

Slept, ok. Rolled to the operative side just before fully awake ... not exactly painful, but not comfortable, yet.

Removed the outer bandage per instructions ... the zip system was intact and had tiny bits of dried blood. No dampness or seepage.

Bruising continuing to yellow - doesn’t seem like any further expansion of the bruising, as had been consistent during the first 5-6 days.

Good appetite, alert without pain (continuing soreness) being careful to follow safety rules... and, icing both the wound area and the top front of the thigh area.

:thumb: Keep on keeping on. You're doing well!
@ForumUser

Lots of walking - cane at the ready but using it less and less, mainly to ensure stand from sitting posture safely. Still no natural feel to my gait - will take some time and lots of discipline to keep straight, I guess.

Exercised a bit more, today ... a bit easier, but still some “oofing” on my part

9th day.

Tossed a bit - harder to sleep until awoke 0100, and took an ambien. Very thoughtful wife believes because I drank a caffeinated soft drink for dinner.

Slept well, but woke up at 0730 on operative side - unexpected - not as uncomfortable as the day prior. Zip stitch device holding well, but sure feels odd to the touch.

Still no pain. Med’d up and walked around for awhile, carrying cane ...feels more comfortable than last two days.

Bruising - dark areas consolidating a bit. Yellow areas fading a bit. No new bruising noted. Area around zip system less tender, as is the inner thigh area.

You're doing well. You'll be dancing on the holiday weekend :happyfeet:
Not really...but you are progressing nicely.
Have a good one!
@ForumUser

Closing out ninth day ...

Kept icing and elevating with walks around the house. Worst position was working, seated at office desk - ugh.

Did another walkabout for a couple of blocks outside without cane ... came back in and iced and elevated ... ahhh.

The zipper closure device is beginning to feel a bit looser ... and, the wound area is less sensitive.

Bedtime!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member