THR THR 8/5

purplehip

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I had my left THR on Tues 8th May. Struggling with dizziness which is not helping with getting mobile. I made it up to have a wash today which is better than yesterday. Very stiff today. Feeling a bit disappointed as hadn’t banked on the dizziness which is holding up the mobility (oh and have a catheter as couldn’t wee after op - hopefully that will come out today).

So better than yesterday but not quite as far in as I thought I would be :0)

H

Congratulations @purplehip on getting your new shiny hip, I'm sure you will feel much better over the next few days. I had my surgery last October and I'm really enjoying being more active now. What were once obstacles are now opportunities, although all the weeds that need removing from the garden might not fit into that category!

These first days can be rough stuff.
Your body has had alot of trauma.
I was a mess for the first week...don't compare recoveries.
It's going to get better!
Hope you have a better day.:friends:

Sorry you're struggling. I'll bet you'll feel even better tomorrow.
First days can be tough. Hang in there, it will get better.
Take lots of naps and ice, ice ice. Hope today is peaceful!
@purplehip

Last edited:
Day 2, you're just beginning the journey! Dizziness wasn't
something I experienced but I did lose quite a bit of blood, I was white as a sheet for 2 weeks. I based part of my recovery on diet, I knew I need to rebuild my systems and they needed the right fuel. Plenty of time to sit and do research and figure out what your body needs. This made a world of difference for me.

@purplehip Welcome to the other side. Things will get easier as your body adjusts to your medication. Just move slowly and never leave your walking aid behind for now.

I'll leave your recovery articles here for you:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@purplehip.
I couldn't not go either. Just something about trying to go in bed just wouldn't work and I had to be catheterd. I really hated that. Hurt. Had enough hurting to last a life time.

@purplehip
Every day gets you closer to the goal of the fully recovered hip. But for now lots of baby steps along the way.
Sometimes it can seem two forward and one back but it's a big surgery and you need patience to allow healing to happen.
It will happen but remember to take it easy these early days. Ice, elevate sleep repeat.

The first days can be so tough.
I'm sorry for the tough stuff.
All temporary, don't despair.
My first weeks I was questioning the surgery, whining on bonesmart, hating on my OS, and worrying my poor saint of a partner endlessly.
Healing hugs...:console2:

Thank for the encouragement. Made it home today. Feeling extremely stiff but very glad to be home.

There's no place like home for comfort and relaxation. Glad you made it home safely!
Wishing you a peaceful relaxing weekend as you begin your healing journey.
Keep us posted! We'd love to follow your recovery.
@purplehip

:friends: good for getting home
Ice it up and take your meds...
Big surgery, big shock to our systems.
You've got this !:yes:

@purplehip
Good to hear you're home!
Hope you are icing, elevating and resting. Keep up with your pain management too.
Definitely don't want to get behind with that!
Post when you're up to it. Bonesmart is always open!

Had a fairly good sleep last night. Have got up this morning had wash at the sink and walked around the kitchen for a minute or two. Absolutely shattered now and leg is sore. I’m taking my pain meds regularly, I have stronger stuff but it says it can cause side effects and I’ve been struggling with faintness and dizziness so am a bit loathe to take anything more. Keep telling myself this will get better in it’s own time and it’s only day 4. I’m thinking another wander at around midday and then one in the evening. Don’t want to not do enough!

:hi:So sorry you are having rough first days...don't worry about not doing enough..getting up to go to the bathroom...and to kitchen for a drink is enough for now.
Especially if you are feeling dizzy or wompy.
It takes a bit too get all effects of anaesthesia out of the system...and then it was a big surgery!
Try to make sure you take your meds with food, drink lots, and ice IS a wonderful pain reliever.
You are right, it is going to take some time.
Hope today is a better day.:console2:

Glad to see you are at home @purplehip. I had problems with hospital prescribed meds (oxycodone) and GP changed them to co-codamol which made me feel MUCH better! The pain meds are important so if you are struggling get advice rather than reduce what you are taking. Walking to the bathroom is enough in the first few days and don't forget the ice packs. I was a convert to them having read about them here, so much so I was taking 4 to bed with me in an insulated lunch pack to use throughout the night. Hope you have a restful weekend.

So good to hear you had a restful sleep! So very important for healing.
I would echo mojo and em em
Walks to bathroom, elevate and ice. Can't say enough good things about ice!

Good Morning,
If you're anything like me you probably haven't read the Recovery Article yet. It took too much concentration early on for me so I gave up until I was a few weeks in. Not much activity is expected of you right now as you will see if you give this article a quick glimpse under Week 1
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

My concern with you feeling dizzy or faint is whether you're alone, or have someone with you now?
If you're alone you may need to talk to your OS about those symptoms and see if your meds can be adjusted.

Ice like crazy! :ice:It helps with the pain. I iced every time I was sitting or laying down, which was most of the time in those early days and first weeks.

Hope today is a good one!
@purplehip

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018