THR THR - 7/14 Posterior

Lucy4

Country
United States United States
I‘m 56 and in good shape (except the hip) as I’ve been doing Pilates and walking because I thought all of it was tight hip flexors. I think I’m more nervous about the restrictions and length of them than anything. I’m a side sleeper and I cross my legs like it’s my job and I love Pilates. I keep wondering if I should have found a Surgeon who recommends anterior. My surgeon is great and highly recommended but my mind won’t stop thinking about this.

I’d love any thoughts or advice! Thank you!

Welcome to bonesmart. Yes, you will be able to do Pilates again, many on here do. I am also a side sleeper but I survived sleeping on my back. I slept in my recliner for the first week or so for multiple reasons. It was easier getting out of bed for me and also it kept me in position with some pillows around me. I actually put pillows around me in bed as a reminder not to turn since something was there - I used the long body pillows but K size pillows would probably work also. You will not be able to cross your legs for a while but it comes back. One of my hips is 3yo and I can cross it easily, the other is 7m and I can cross my legs but it is slightly less comfortable at this point.

The restrictions are minor and time passes rather quickly and even with anterior there are certain moves that your body just does not feel comfortable doing after a major surgery. Your body still has to recovery and your muscles and everything else has to recover from being manhandled to get the new hip in place. If you chose a great surgeon that you trust that is all that is important. Both of my hip replacements were posterior but I had good recoveries and almost no bruising or swelling. Some of that is from the fact that I iced almost constantly when sitting, reclining or laying down even during the night.

The best part is the relief of pain. I was in severe pain the last 6m of waiting for my surgical date and the minute surgery was done and I stood up that pain was gone. All the inconveniences of recovery are more than worth the cessation of pain. The other thing with recovery is that you are working toward reclaiming your life and activities instead of your world shrinking as the pain increases and that helps get through the slow times.

Please do some reading here for pre op and recovery and you will see how many people get back to the activities they love and regain their lives.

Thank you. I needed to hear that. I’m so happy I found this group. I found another one but no one had good updates and I knew that wasn’t normal.

Off to researching here!

@Lucy4 Do you know for a fact that you will have restrictions. Many surgeon are no longer imposing restrictions not matter what approach is used.

In any case if you do have restrictions they are not that hard to follow. In my case my hip just didn't want to move a certain way for a few weeks post op. And ask your surgeon if you can sleep on your non-op side with a pillow between your legs.

They said we had restrictions in the hip class. But my surgeon is extremely cautious, hopefully It won’t be for long. I just need to toughen up a bit I think.

Do ask your surgeon directly if there will be restrictions. Many times staff assume there are restrictions but surgeons don't necessarily want them imposed.

Welcome @Lucy4 ! I had two anteriors, but only because that's what the surgeon does, and I'd had a couple of glowing recommendations from medical practitioners whose mother and best friend had recently gone to him and were really happy.

I didn't learn anything about approaches until I found Bonesmart-- and then I learned sooooo much more, made friends, and had a great time chatting with folks too!

My hips are 7 and 3 years old. A couple of years ago I lost a significant amount of weight and now instead of just crossing my legs cos it feels good on the outer hip muscles, I cross them "all the way"-- my top foot anchors to the floor. I can even do one more twist if showing off, but my knees really don't care for that.

In January of 2019, when second hip was 19 months old, I determined to return (after 30+ years :flabber: ) to ballet classes. I think the hips were fine, but the rest of the body was definitely almost 67! While attempting to dance, I accidentally learned of a barre studio at the same location. Tried one class and have been hooked ever since. I know there are some overlaps with Pilates, right? Barre is much more about what I can do, and ballet was more about how much I couldn't.
I also walk. I confess to hip pain but it's all soft tissue and for all I know I'd have it even if my hips had never needed replacement. One day I'll do something about it lol.

Recovery is a good time to be patient and allow your body to heal. Almost every one of us overdoes things at some early or middle stage of recovery, and learns the hard way (pain, swelling, exhaustion...) to back off and rest. Some folks have had the nerves to watch a THR on Youtube, to see for themselves what a traumatic experience it is for the body. I don't dare!

:wave: @Lucy4 glad you've joined us! I found this group about 5 months or so before my surgery and so happy I did. If you have restrictions they usually aren't for all that long, especially when you look at how long you're planning on keeping this new hip.

I'm a year out as of yesterday, can cross my legs, can sit cross legged on the floor and get up. Not always pretty getting up but I'm getting old so I'll take it! :heehee:

I went to a joint class at the local hospital that they do for hips and knees, I was the only hip that day. Wasn't really impressed with the class and actually gave some feedback to the hospital about it. I did find out they had someone new to run the class and were reworking their take home packets, etc. I learned way more useful information here pre-op than I did from the OS office, the joint class or the hospital PT/OT.

I've had 2 posteriors, restrictions are no big deal. I worried about them before my first but following them was pretty straight forward. I am a leg crosser but I was just aware of not crossing and I just didn't want to have any problems. I didn't like back sleeping but like everything else it's just for a short time.

:wave: @Lucy4 glad you've joined us! I found this group about 5 months or so before my surgery and so happy I did. If you have restrictions they usually aren't for all that long, especially when you look at how long you're planning on keeping this new hip.

I'm a year out as of yesterday, can cross my legs, can sit cross legged on the floor and get up. Not always pretty getting up but I'm getting old so I'll take it! :heehee:

I went to a joint class at the local hospital that they do for hips and knees, I was the only hip that day. Wasn't really impressed with the class and actually gave some feedback to the hospital about it. I did find out they had someone new to run the class and were reworking their take home packets, etc. I learned way more useful information here pre-op than I did from the OS office, the joint class or the hospital PT/OT.
Thank you for this! The hip class I went to was so dry. They read off the handout. I think I have also read too many recoveries with issues and not concentrated on just being prepared!

Today, I’m onto the files here and getting mentally prepared. I’m not an athlete and have never had to work hard for something physical. I’m so glad I found this group!

I've had 2 posteriors, restrictions are no big deal. I worried about them before my first but following them was pretty straight forward. I am a leg crosser but I was just aware of not crossing and I just didn't want to have any problems. I didn't like back sleeping but like everything else it's just for a short time.
Thank you! I feel like all I’ve seen are anterior or complications. As I tip-toe up to surgery, I alternate between ready and terrified. I had a complete retina detachment and a few tears just under 2 years ago (Along with 2 cataract surgeries) to add to my worry about surgery. Although, I know it’s not relevant now.

They tell me cataract surgery is on my to do list! I honestly didn't know or care about the approach once I found a surgeon that I felt confident could handle my hip as I had previous surgeries on my left. I didn't know the approach until after I had set the surgery up and called the nurse to just see if they were going to use the same spot as the previous as the scar was a little rough looking. Previous was directly on the side of the hip where the new is around back. I only had clear tape on the incision and it was like a pencil line. Once it healed I really have to look to see it as it's just a faint pink line.
The first 2 weeks aren't a day at the beach, but it can't be that bad as I went back for a 2nd. Get in the right frame of mind that this is all about the end result and your patience in getting there. My recommended restrictions were 6 weeks and with the 2nd I went a little longer as my follow up visit was delayed so I just went with it. Getting to put on socks and shoes, washing your feet and cutting your toe nails will be a big milestone.

That was me: so ready then so terrified. Interesting. I had bilateral detached retinas a long time ago. You would think as your surgery “resume” grows it would get easier. Unfortunately, no and I have quite the resume like a lot of folks here. Lol. I think the THR was so different than any of the others, the unknown got to me more than anything. It had also been a while since my last surgery. Like the others, once it’s done, you just deal with it because that’s all you can do. The best part: no more OA pain! The rest is all short lived. Not very much longer now. Sending blessings of peace and comfort and courage. My PCP doctor has a framed note from his now late mother on a shelf in one of his exam rooms: “Courage is fear that has said its prayers.” ❤️

I’m not an athlete and have never had to work hard for something physical. I’m so glad I found this group!
You don't have to work hard at this recovery, either. Your hip will know what it's doing. Here are our recommended guidelines for recovery. Take particular notice of the BIG TIP (written in green font).

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. You should try to follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

They tell me cataract surgery is on my to do list! I honestly didn't know or care about the approach once I found a surgeon that I felt confident could handle my hip as I had previous surgeries on my left. I didn't know the approach until after I had set the surgery up and called the nurse to just see if they were going to use the same spot as the previous as the scar was a little rough looking. Previous was directly on the side of the hip where the new is around back. I only had clear tape on the incision and it was like a pencil line. Once it healed I really have to look to see it as it's just a faint pink line.
The first 2 weeks aren't a day at the beach, but it can't be that bad as I went back for a 2nd. Get in the right frame of mind that this is all about the end result and your patience in getting there. My recommended restrictions were 6 weeks and with the 2nd I went a little longer as my follow up visit was delayed so I just went with it. Getting to put on socks and shoes, washing your feet and cutting your toe nails will be a big milestone.
Cataracts are a breeze! So nice to see and totally painless! Thank you for the encouragement- it’s so appreciated!

That was me: so ready then so terrified. Interesting. I had bilateral detached retinas a long time ago. You would think as your surgery “resume” grows it would get easier. Unfortunately, no and I have quite the resume like a lot of folks here. Lol. I think the THR was so different than any of the others, the unknown got to me more than anything. It had also been a while since my last surgery. Like the others, once it’s done, you just deal with it because that’s all you can do. The best part: no more OA pain! The rest is all short lived. Not very much longer now. Sending blessings of peace and comfort and courage. My PCP doctor has a framed note from his now late mother on a shelf in one of his exam rooms: “Courage is fear that has said its prayers.” ❤
Thank you! It really is the unknown and how I’ll handle the challenge. This was so helpful! Love that Note!

Thanks for the encouragement on the cataracts. As far as the hips went I just wanted to lose the pain and keep mobility, everything past that has been a plus the way I look at it. Having surgery on my eyes kind of freaks me out a lot more than the hip.

Don’t worry one second about cataracts! Totally painless and just eye drops for a few weeks. I’ll stop freaking out about my hip surgery if you promise to stop worrying about your cataract surgery!

Wishing you the best for your surgery on Tuesday and a great recovery. I hope to see you on the shiny side (recovery) when you are able. One hint is to set up your recovery thread before surgery so it is easier when you want to post regarding your recovery or have any questions. Wishing you a peaceful Sun.

@Lucy4 wishing you the best for surgery on Tuesday! Look forward to seeing you on the recovery side once you're feeling up to posting!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back