THR 7½ weeks ago, fractured femur during operation - doing well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyphi

Hi. It's funny, you would think that I would have found this forum prior to my surgery but to be honest, outside of the info I received from my surgeon and the hospital, I didn't read much on my THR. I am glad that I didn't because its much better to read about it on the other side.

I had my THR - Right side on Feb 20 but during the surgery, my femur was fractured when he was inserting the prosthetic. What would've been a three day hospital stay turned into 3 days, + 7 more which included inpatient rehab. I was discharged on Mar 1 and did 5 wks of home PT.

I was on a walker until last Friday and I am returning to work on Monday. I'm a bit apprehensive. My biggest concern is falling or tripping.

I had touch down weight bearing for the first 5 weeks which caused pain in my knee. That pain has subsided since I went to 50-75% weight to now full weight.

The best thing about this whole thing, when my husband puts lotion on my right foot.

To all the hippies. Hang in there. This is so much better than the 2 yrs of pain I suffered. I went from a 3 to a 10 and knew it was time to get the surgery done.

I'll be glad when I'm pain free. I just have muscle pain but nothing like what I had with osteoarthritis in my hip.

To God be the glory

Re: THR 7 1/2 weeks ago, fractured femur during operation - doing well

I just realized that I posted in the wrong forum. So sorry Can I move it?

Cyphi,
One of the moderators will come along and move your thread to hip post op.
Welcome to bonesmart you will find lots of support here.
@Jamie:

No, only an admin or moderator can more posts. So just take yourself to the hip forum and start a new thread there and don't worry about this one here. Easy mistake to make. Hope everything goes well for you. Judy

Hi, Cyphi....welcome to BoneSmart! I have moved your thread to the hip recovery forum, so post away and let us know all about your recovery!

It sounds like you're doing just fine. Do take things easy now that you've started back to work. It's a bit soon timewise, so you'll need to rest a lot whenever you can.

Hi Cyphi, welcome to BoneSmart, lovely to have you join the family :)

I went back to work at the 7 week mark, but graduated for three weeks, working three days each week... Is there a chance you may be able to go back graduated.

The biggest issue I had to contend with was energy drain, still do if truth be known. Also as my job is desk bound, I made sure I got up and moved around a fair bit every 45 mins at the minimum. Even if I just stood at the back of my chair or leaned on the filing cabinet and did some stretches it helped.

I also took my walker and my cane to work for about four weeks, left the walker there for end of day exhaustion.. Some days it was good to just have it there as a comfort thing. My cane still sits in my office, I don't use it at all.

Good luck going back to work and please keep us posted as to how you go :)

How are you doing? Did I see you are going back to work? Please don't overdue it. Take Sandy advice and do the walker and cane. You have come far but do remember you are still healing. I find that the minute I feel good I overdue it so please don't follow me in that. Welcome to Bone Smart. We are here 24 hours a day so if you need come here for support or just blow off steam. Please take care. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:

Hi Cyphi and welcome to BoneSmart,

Congratulations on your new hip! You sound well considering you had to also deal with the fracture ontop of the normal recovery. The fear of tripping or falling is very natural it goes away with time.

Glad you joined us and keep us posted with your recovery. Take it easy with work it can be an adjustment getting use to working again, takes a few weeks to get back into a routine.

All the best,

Sarah

Thank you all so much for the postings. Yes - today is my first day back to work. Sandy, my job is desk bound as well. I made sure to set a reminder to get up at the top of each hour, ride down to the 1st floor and take a walk outside in the front of the building. I work in Augusta GA and the Masters golf tournament just finished, so the weather is absolutely gorgeous! I am so glad to be able to go outside after being indoors for so very long!.

Last week was also my last week for my in home PT. She was an Angel! I feel as though she gave me my life back. She mentioned that i should start some cardio - and thought that a stationary bike might be a good thing. I was going to run it by my surgeon first.

Also - i am not taking any more of the heavy meds, but i have been taking Metaxalone (Skelaxin) and Ibuprofen twice a day (morning and night) to help with the discomfort that i do feel in my thigh muscle.

I am only 46, but i was born with a dislocated hip (R), clubbed foot (L) and have severe scoliosis. The clubbed foot and hip was corrected at birth, but 46 yrs later, the hip developed displacia and as a result, ostioarthritis. Ive been in pain for the past 2 yrs. It started out as a "3" and I was scared to d the surgery. My doctor said that i will be back to see him when it gets to be a "10" and he was right!

I no longer have any pain in my hip (today i was a little sore - which is why i made the point to get up and walk each hour), but mostly i just have pain in my thigh and muscle due to the healing hairline fracture caused by the THR.

any thoughts on the stationary bike or even the meds?

Thanks again. I feel as though i have a new lease on life. Cyphi V2.0!!

Wow, quite the extra ordeal with the fracture. Good for you, you are doing so well. I am sure working will tire you out so take it easy with yourself in the evenings. I wish you continued progress -Cathy

Hi Cyphi! Congratulations on your new hip :thumb:. I'm so sorry to hear about the fracture but there are a few members who had fractures during surgery and they ended up having great recoveries. I bet the same will happen for you.

I use a stationary bike at my PT's office and I must say that I really like it. It was very helpful in restoring mobility and relieving my hips of that post-surgery tightness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Pbrunmier
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom