THR THR 5/22/2020

sandyc

Country
United States United States
I am still needing to use the walker most of the time. I can only use the quad cane a few hours at a time.
I don't feel like I am getting better.

:welome:Hello Sandy,
Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us. Please let us know which hip you had replaced and we’ll add the info to your signature along with your May 22, 2020 surgery date. Thanks in advance.

At a little over seven weeks, I wouldn’t be too alarmed. Not having any other info in regard to whether you’re on meds, if you’re still dealing with pain / swelling, if you’re icing and elevating, whether you’re involved in PT, how active you are, and what that activity involves....it’s hard to advise. Could you provide a little more info please?

Also, depending upon how bad your condition was at the time of surgery, which we know nothing about either, it could be taking you a tad longer to heal, but you’ll get there. Could you please respond to a few of the things I questioned about above aNd also whether you‘ve been to your first post op appointment yet. If so, what did your surgeon have to say? Will look forward to hearing back from you. Until then, please read through the Recovery Guidelines below. I believe you’ll find the info beneficial.

Take good care! :wave:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi and welcome @sandyc ! You do sound discouraged, I'm so sorry! This pandemic is doing nobody's mood any favors, either.

Did you have an early followup with your OS? They would have told you if there were any concerns at that time (my first FU's were at two weeks). And how responsive are they now? My OS office was always open to questions, and at my final followups I was told, go, be free, live your life-- and call us if you have any problems.

Other folks will be around soon to cheer you on!

@sandyc , I am very glad that you found us again for recovery. Sometimes it is hard when our bodies do not cooperate with what we imagined the course would be. I hope you stick around and answer some of the queries from Layla so we can try to help but in the meantime know that we are here for you.

Hey @sandyc
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hoping things have improved since we last heard from you.
Please leave an update as time allows. We would love to hear about your progress.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie