ConforMIS
Lounge Doctor

THR THR 42 yrs old

evie1000

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi All,

I'll be going in next month, I think, for a full hip replacement. I had hip dysplasia as a child and started getting arthritis in my teens so I've waited as long as I can.

As I'm quite young for this operation I was wondering if there was anyone roughly around my age that had surgery and what bearings etc they used. Curious as obviously it needs to last. They were speaking about cross polymer but I'm speaking the surgeon tomorrow so should get more of an idea. Any info or insight would be amazing!

Thank you

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@evie1000 Welcome to BoneSmart! Yes, we have many members your age and younger that have had THR. Even teenagers!

Please don't worry about what implant will the used. Your surgeon will select the best implant based on your own situation (including lifestyle) the their experience with the prosthesis.

The most important criteria are your trust in the surgeon and the surgeon's experience. Ask them how many THRs they do in one year. They should have no problem answering this question.

Do you have a date for your surgery? Let us know the date and which hip and we will make a signature for you.

Meanwhile a bit of reading:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

If you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

TomT

Country
United States United States
I'm around your age and I had mine replaced almost 4 months ago, much like you I was very concerned about what type of implant and the model and stuff like that before the surgery, I think everyone is. Hip replacement is so advanced now that all of the implants are going to be fine and as Jaycey said you should be more concerned with your surgeon's skill at putting the implant in.

OP
OP
E

evie1000

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Feel free to tag me with any specific questions. I have ceramic with cross linked pe. Very happy with surgery and I have my life back!
hi, thank yo. I met my surgeon today and really happy. I'm getting the same implant as you. He's sending me for a CT scan as the problems I had as a child make it a little more complicated but feeling loads better. Have a date now as well, 10th DEC, 3 weeks away.
Did anyone do anything pre-op? Hoe long before you could just walk around the house type stuff? lol.

TomT

Country
United States United States
Feel free to tag me with any specific questions. I have ceramic with cross linked pe. Very happy with surgery and I have my life back!
hi, thank yo. I met my surgeon today and really happy. I'm getting the same implant as you. He's sending me for a CT scan as the problems I had as a child make it a little more complicated but feeling loads better. Have a date now as well, 10th DEC, 3 weeks away.
Did anyone do anything pre-op? Hoe long before you could just walk around the house type stuff? lol.
I tried to get into the best shape possible to make it easier to recover, but my surgery was during the height of the pandemic and most gyms were closed so I swam laps.

minifab

Country
Canada Canada
@evie1000. Nothing really, I only had 3 weeks notice as well. Prior to surgery I set up my house, moving rugs, toilet riser, and having ice packs in the fridge! You can go back and look at my recovery thread; but I was mobile day 1, I was home and in my bed (2nd floor) 3.5 hours after surgery... so was definitely able to move around. I found crutches easier than a walker as it allowed me to move around faster and I didn’t have balance issues. I was using a cane somewhere in the 1-2 week mark

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kevmo
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom