THR MammaT’s Matched Set

MammaT

supremo
Country
United States United States
Hi all-I had left thr on August 22. I had found this site and then for some reason my apple phone and computer had log-in issues. Finally figured out that be using private tabs I could get in. Thanks to Jamie for following up with my email!

I must say it has not been a horrible process. Began using cane at 2 week mark. Can drive now. Walk some inside house without can. While there is still some soreness and swelling, it is so good to not have bone on bone pain.

Home pt has been very helpful. I start outpatient pt next week and can even go to work 10 hours per week (I have a desk job). Hoping for a complete recovery.

Hi and welcome, MammaT. I'm going to leave some reading material for you, even though you are past the initial post-op period. There's still lots of stages of healing and recovery to travel through and it's common to have lots of questions for several months or more.

Also, I'm wondering if your thread title is supposed to be THR August 22 instead of THE August 22? An admin can easily change this for you if you want. Let me know.

Sharon
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock as prescribed
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

@MammaT Welcome to the other side. I hope you will keep us updated on your progress.

Have had multiple problems with site access. Not sure how to handle replies (I think it is letting me in today!). Think I am doing well at a little over 4 weeks. Started outpatient pt yesterday. They told me to walk as tolerated in between seeing them and continue a few home exercises.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

It's not you, it's the site. We're having a few issues and to make matters worse, we're in-between tech support. Not the best timing!

Sounds like you are doing great. I am a month behind you and encouraged to hear of your progress.

I think site problems are resolved so I can post! New hip is 6 weeks and 3 days old. Recovery has been good. The expected pain. Can walk four blocks (even if I slow down towards the end). Doctor let me return to work slowly (desk job). Should be full-time at the 8 week mark.

@Jamie- thanks for your help!

Wow, good job. These statements give me encouragement and something to look forward to. I'm a week behind you @MammaT.

Thanks @Dust. One thing I picked up on when I could get in and read the site, is that it is different for all of us. I had an anterior approach. I know I am still a bit out from complete healing, but now that surgical pain is over, I can really tell the difference in pain. I still get achy a bit in the evening and may take a pain pill (usually 1/2) for sleep, but doctor said that is normal and not to worry. Keep moving forward!

Hi Mammat
I am still trying to take the decision for my hip operation I want to ask you
Is the after operation pain less than bone to bone pain

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

The initial operation pain, with swelling and bruising, was intense. It was a different pain. Each day that pain lessened. Way different from bone on bone that nothing could help! I can already walk pain free most of the time and I can sleep! To me the surgical pain was worth it-I am getting my life back!

If you need it- do it- I went for my check up appt at 4 weeks- the surgeon said I'll see you in 6 months and I started crying----you see for him it's just another day at work for me it was a life changing day--- I would say it's worth the risk worth the life you get back- I have no regrets at all

Posterior Right Total Hip Replacement due to Necrosis of femoral head -August 22,2016

Been a while since I have been active on sight--just check in and read occasionally. Since I saw a post in pre-op area about seeing lots of stuff on grim side of surgery-thought I would give an update 14 months out. My left hip seems to have healed nicely. I can put on shoes, bend, walk, etc. Still get a feeling at times like numb spot in surgical area is still trying to wake up. Occasional pain in knee, but don't necessarily think it is related.

Of course, right hip is now getting into gear. Had cortisone shot to see if it will calm it down until after holidays. No way am I going to let it get as bad as my left hip did! And I know it can go quickly.

Nice to hear from you MammaT and to hear that things are going well. And very wise to decide to forestall the process before you get it done!

Thanks @Josephine. Once you’ve had one go, you recognize symptoms and it won’t magically heal itself! Also, for my insurance my out of pocket is met for the year. Will see what OS thinks November 7. This site is terrific. Even after a year, you get some good advice and reminders-like stiffness and tightness are pain!

For those who have had to have a second hip replacement--did the process of the second deteriorating have any impact on the already replaced hip?

I had my second hip replacement surgery but was 5 years bone on bone on both so I can't say my GUESS would be it would affect it some but I can't say and feel confident on it. Hugs

That's my guess too. It makes sense that slowly changing gait, etc., would have impact on muscles on other side just like it did without a new hip. Will see OS on November 7--going to find out for sure how much bone on bone I have. I haven't asked that question directly (call me chicken!), but he did say it looked "pretty gnarly" and gave ok for cortisone injection in hip. I don't think he discounts patients, but he says that when you look at X-rays you can think one thing but the patient experience is different (so just because the X-ray looks really bad doesn't mean patient has lots of pain and vice versa). Don't necessarily want a surgery right around Christmas, but also don't want it to get to point left hip was out (totally a wreck). Also, my out of pocket max has been reached for the year. Will just wait and see.

Oh please let us know... IF needed get this done WHILE your deductible or out of pocket is met... I did it was like a buy one get one free. :heehee: ... I do hate unexpected things.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562