THR My Recovery Journey

Sweetpea39

Country
United States United States
Hi all. So I'm having the lateral posterior done. Has anyone had this that can give me some kind info as to what I'm in for. I feel so in the dark as what to expect after surgery

Hi sweet pea,
Why are you in the dark! Did your surgeon explain everything to you! Did you take the pre surgery hip class that tells you everything. Your hospital where your having surgery provides classes for ortho patients have knee & hip replacement.

@Brushis in the dark as to how people feel on the other side when they wake up. He went over where the incision would be, the implant and that for 2wks I wouldnt be doing much so the soft tissue could heal. I did not take the class bc my sx is 2hrs away I spoke to a woman on the phone but it seemed pointless. I'm just concerned about how much pain I'm going to be in afterwards seeing as anterior dont have much.

I'm not a forum moderator, but someone will instruct you to probably post in the pre-surgery area along with which hip and the surgery date in your forum signature. You've posted in the post surgery recovery area. Don't worry, the moderators will help and point you in the right direction.

However, to answer your immediate question a forum moderator will usually post helpful tips and milestones of what to expect - but everyone is different and therefore has experiences and healing at different rates. I found that I quizzed my OS more AFTER my hip replacement(s) than initially. I knew I was going to have the posterior approach and MAKO robotic assisted surgery. I did go to the hospital joint replacement class before my first surgery, but I found the information rather generic and not extremely helpful. Your "personal mileage" may vary...

Unfortunately, no one can tell you how you're going to feel after surgery and how much pain you'll personally experience. Some people have more, some less. However, the most important thing that you can focus on is that the "experience" is temporary and you'll begin to feel better and stronger. If you have questions, you'll find that there's quite a bit of support here - not only from moderators, but people who have been through this experience. Hip replacement is not a walk in the park, but I'm sure you'll do just fine...

Hi @Sweetpea39

That is the procedure I had with MAKO assist, same as DesertDiva and @VSlowLife . I had a spinal and a profofol iv, woke up on the way to recovery. The surgery itself was a non-event.

After an overnight stay I went home. Pain is different for everyone. The worst pain for me was during the first few days. At 6 weeks post surgery I still have mild pain while walking and random pains from time to time but it's far less than the pain experienced prior to surgery.

I'd suggest reading some recovery threads for insight. Even though my THR was only 6 weeks ago my memory is already forgetting some of the details and timelines of events. Here is a link to my recovery thread: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/bruceh-after-thr-recovery.58370/

I'm surprised your OS didn't require the class. My hospital is over 2 hrs away but I went to class and it prepared me. Kind of late but reading posts on here will give you some idea what to expect. Be sure to read the hip recovery guidelines and get a realistic idea of recovery timeline. 2 weeks will be the hardest, but it's not the end of recovery. Hard to directly relate how you will feel. I had 2 THR's and they each had their own characteristics.

Hi @Sweetpea39 and welcome to the forum.
I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to have the anterior approach...you want the OS to be able to do this on the way he knows best and any short-term advantages from anterior quickly level off and coincides with all recoveries, in my opinion.
After surgery, I woke up elated to be done and not in much pain at all, as they had the medication cocktail just right, I suppose. 12 hours later it needed a bit of tweaking, but they quickly got it sorted.

Many members have had posterior hip replacement and did very well in recovery, including my cohort @Layla .

Since your surgery is tomorrow...you can stay right here and if you have a preference for a thread title for recovery, let us know and we can change it for you tomorrow.
I will also leave you the guidelines below.
You are going to do just great and that new hip will get you back to life...happy and healthy.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@DesertDiva @Eman85 @Mojo333 thank you all for your responses and encouragement. I really am so happy to have found this site . I have been reading some recovery threads. I just need to remember no matter what this is for the greater good so I can be active again not in pain constantly and not having to manage it with painkillers anymore and above all else be able to run around and enjoy my growing boys.

You will be able to do more than you think and being patient will likely be the hardest part.
I got back to my busy life, love that I can actually Sleep Well Again, and Best of All...Bye Bye Hip Pain.
:happydance::happydance:
Healing hugs in advance, @Sweetpea39

@Mojo333 Sleep:yes!: definitely looking forward to not waking up from the pain. Today I go for my type and screen in case I need blood. I am the first case tomorrow @830 have to be at the hospital @530. Sure there wont be too much sleep tonight lol. :hugzz:

@Sweetpea39
On Jan 29 I had a LTHR with posterior lateral approach and so far I am doing fine. You will have hip precautions— 90 degree bending rule, no crossing legs/crossing past midline, no toe-in on operated side, but I have found them not a problem at all if you have a reacher to pick up things that fall and have a stiff seat cushion you can use when sitting in low chairs. I take this seat cushion, from Amazon made especially for hip patients, everywhere with me and I never have a problem sitting in chairs. I also try to find a chair with arms. I also sleep with a pillow between my legs to make sure I don’t cross them accidentally while sleeping. My surgeon has me on these precautions for just 6-8 weeks. Because I had surgery on my left side I am already driving and have no problem getting out of the car. I also have a smaller seat cushion for the car. Feel free to ask me any questions about the surgery.

It will be hard but you have to keep the greater good in mind during recovery. The timeline is different for everyone but it does take time. Post op use the pain medications as needed as it will help your recovery. If possible try and enjoy doing very little for the first 2 weeks as your body will need the rest.

Tomorrow is your big day! :happydance:
We'll look forward to following your recovery thread as you're healing.
Hope to hear from you once you're settled in and resting comfortably.
All the best to you! :)
@Sweetpea39

I feel so in the dark as what to expect after surgery
First I want to wish you a successful surgery and recovery :flwrysmile:

I did not need a hospital class. I only have extreme angle restrictions, and my surgeon, at the hospital demonstrated for me the most severe angle to cause dislocation, and to avoid it, just before my surgery. PT at the hospital reinforced that.

PT and OT were there everyday carefully watching me and reinforcing the best way to move. My aide and nurse did as well.

Everyone reacts differently to surgery. There is no crystal ball. My general view of it after reading many recovery threads, was that the first three days were the worst, in general.

I iced, iced, iced :ice::ice::ice:at the hospital and at home. I was essentially sleeping whenever I could, day or night, eating when my body allowed me to eat something, going to the bathroom quite a bit from all the fluids, icing and repeat, repeat, the first week. Much healing going on and I respected that.

This is my thread: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/vslowlifes-recovery-thread.58734/

The advice from this forum, in general, is to make sure your pain is well controlled before leaving the hospital.

@Sweetpea39 sending you good thoughts and prayers for your surgery tomorrow. The waiting is really the hardest part pre-op and then exercising the patience muscle after.

Good luck with your surgery. You may have some different protocols to follow early in your recovery since you are having the posterior approach, but ultimately, you hopefully will have the same positive outcome. Once your surgery is done, and you are on the road to recovery, I think the key is listening to your body, and not overdoing in terms of excessive exercise and therapy. Be prepared--the first couple of weeks may be uncomfortable, but before you know it, a few weeks, and then a few months will have passed and you will be so glad you had the hip replaced!

Hello @Sweetpea39
I hope you're resting comfortably by now and your pain is well managed.
With any luck they're keeping you on ice :ice: as it's great for pain and swelling. Will look forward to hearing from you once you're feeling up to it.
Sending a hug and wishing you comfort. :friends:

@Sweetpea39
Hope your surgery today went very well and you are resting comfortably in the hospital. The hardest part is over!! Your bad hip has gone and now the recovery begins.
Every day will be better. Now you start to get your life back!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom