THR Thoughts Welcome!

Croft9232

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi
I am a newbie and live in Uk. I am post Op 15 weeks. A posterior approach was performed. I was doing great up until 2 weeks age when I suddenly felt movement and noise issues. At night when quiet I can hear my hip?
I have pain at the site and around it, but not all the time, also front thigh and IT band.
My gait is good, the only thing I can remember at the time is doing stretches for tight IT band, and from then on….
I have an appointment with my surgeon on12/12 after contacting his team.
Whilst he is a fantastic surgeon with an excellent reputation and having had excellent nursing care for 3 days post op, the physical therapy is non existent once you leave the ward.
In the UK you mostly have telephone consult( I know go figure) with a Physiotherapist and leaflets with exercises given.
I wonder what on earth has happened?
Any thoughts appreciated,
Thank you, Margaret.

Hello Margaret and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.

Pain still occurs at only 15 weeks post op, usually if the healing soft tissue was aggravated. You mentioned the possibility of stretches initiating the discomfort you describe. I am wondering if you've iced the area at all?
If not, I would try icing several times per day and hopefully along with rest, the pain will dissipate. You will find an article on ICE in the Recovery Guidelines I will leave below.

the physical therapy is non existent once you leave the ward.
That's not necessarily a bad thing.
It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.

Some members complain about clicking, clunking and popping sounds. It is natural to be concerned and wonder if something is wrong. It seems more often than not that noises aren’t indication of a problem. It takes time for the soft tissue surrounding the implant to heal and settle in with the implant and begin working smoothly. If it continues occurring it’s worth discussion with your surgeon, especially if accompanied with swelling or pain, but if not over time it will most likely stop.

Please read through the Recovery Guidelines as some may still apply and also we ask that you share your surgery date and which hip was replaced so we're able to create a signature for you.

Stop back often, we'd love to follow your healing journey and support you along the way!

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

At night when quiet I can hear my hip?
What is it saying?, sorry I couldn't help it. Both of my hips made a noise or a clicking sensation when moving. Both were different and did it from different movements. My right I could make it do it when lying in bed and doing a heel slide. It eventually stopped and so did the sensation.
They moved around all of the muscles and tendons and stretched them. It takes quite a long time before they settle in. It's like stretching a rubber band and it doesn't go right back like it was. Fortunately for us our body heals and things do regain their form again.

Hi
I am a newbie and live in Uk. I am post Op 15 weeks. A posterior approach was performed. I was doing great up until 2 weeks age when I suddenly felt movement and noise issues. At night when quiet I can hear my hip?
I have pain at the site and around it, but not all the time, also front thigh and IT band.
My gait is good, the only thing I can remember at the time is doing stretches for tight IT band, and from then on….
I have an appointment with my surgeon on12/12 after contacting his team.
Whilst he is a fantastic surgeon with an excellent reputation and having had excellent nursing care for 3 days post op, the physical therapy is non existent once you leave the ward.
In the UK you mostly have telephone consult( I know go figure) with a Physiotherapist and leaflets with exercises given.
I wonder what on earth has happened?
Any thoughts appreciated,
Thank you, Margaret.
Hi. I'm 9 weeks post op and from Nottingham. I've had all face to face appointments with my physio, started at 4 weeks and been every 2 or 3 weeks. Must admit, as there is little contact with the surgeon, I'd be lost without being able to get reassurance from my physio. Like others have said and told me - you are still very early days in the healing process. It's a constant change of aches, pains, noises from one week to the other. My recent one is my knee giving way on me whilst walking, even just around the house! I keep telling myself not to worry, it's hard not to tho isn't it. Good luck with the surgeon, sure you will feel reassured, if only if you're told "it's normal"

Thanks to all, great advice all round.
As I have an appointment with the Big Man himself in 2 weeks, I will keep it. I guess he may not be impressed for troubling him with normal mechanics.
Fingers crossed.

Whoopsie...I'm sure it was an oversight, but we would appreciate if you'd share your surgery date and which hip was replaced for your signature.

If you haven't noticed, we all have signatures at the bottom of each post and it's really helpful for those stopping by to comment or advise to view this info with a quick glance to see how far along you are in the healing process. You will also learn of other's on the forum recovering along with you in real time through viewing the monthly team thread for your surgery month. Please share this info next time you stop by. Thanks in advance!
@Croft9232

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom