Thoughts on antibiotic??

Lovestoread

supremo
Country
United States United States
I know the use of antibiotics prior to dental procedures is controversial. My dentist says I don't need them, but to do what my surgeon advises. Surgeon says yes. (There have been times I have forgotten and I've been fine). Next week I'm having two cysts removed from my back and since they are deep, the surgeon is doing it at the hospital and under anesthesia. I phoned my Ortho's office and was told to absolutely take the amoxicillin in the morning before the procedure. You guessed it....the nurse at the surgeons office said it wasn't necessary. I know I am allowed to take my blood pressure pill with a small sip of water when I get up in the morning. Should I take the amoxicillin at the same time? Maybe take it afterwards? I'm 3½ years out from my TKR's if that matters.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart[emoji768]

If you agree with your ortho, I am sure you can take it will a sip of water in the am. But, just to be sure, why not check with the nurse at the surgeon's office.

(There have been times I have forgotten and I've been fine)
But the whole point about PPI (peri-prosthetic infection is that it can take months or even years to show itself. It's totally unlike any usual infection.
I'm having two cysts removed from my back at the hospital. I phoned my Ortho's office and was told to absolutely take the amoxicillin in the morning before the procedure.
I think that's a total overkill since the surgery will be done in an operating theatre with full aseptic technique so there is absolutely no risk of infection whatsoever. There is a risk though, with taking antibiotics unnecessarily and especially with taking a single dose. It's irresponsible and exactly the kind of thing that's landed us with issues like MRSA - because odd doses are what contributes to antibiotic resistant bacteria. I will never ever take an odd dose of antibiotic as a prophylactic for any procedure.

I wonder also since it's being done under anesthesia if they will be giving you IV antibiotics as well.

@Josephine, so you're not in favor or think it is necessary to take antiboitics (sp) prior to dental cleanings and dental work? I had a dental cleaning scheduled a few wks back, have had some upper respitory (sp) issues and with having the extra issues with my knee healing decided to postpone my dental cleaning, figured I didn't need any more issues at the current time. Is there info to read regarding this subject also, as I feel caught in the middle, don't want to take things that aren't necessary, but yet don't want any additional issues.

the only trouble is that my dentist and surgeon talk to each other. The surgeon says two years post TKR antibiotics must be taken. The dentist confers with the surgeon. I should have kept my mouth shut.. And just gone to the dentist as usual 12 weeks after surgery.

I just spoke with a nurse at the hospital who told me that the doctor has prescribed in the IV and that there is no need to take the amoxicillin my Ortho wants me to take. I feel better knowing that I'll have something. Thanks for everyone's input.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart[emoji768]

Is there info to read regarding this subject also, as I feel caught in the middle, don't want to take things that aren't necessary, but yet don't want any additional issues.

Dental antibiotics: Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures

https://www.lexi.com/individuals/dentistry/newsletters.jsp?id=march_10
https://www.lexi.com/individuals/dentistry/newsletters.jsp?id=march_10
At the moment, dentists will probably say that prophylactic antibiotics are not necessary, while the orthopaedic community is still divided about it.

My dentist insisted they weren't necessary, while my OS prefers his patients to use them. I compromised, by taking antibiotics for invasive procedures, such as extractions and root canals, but I haven't taken any antibiotics for the last two root canals.

so you're not in favor or think it is necessary to take antiboitics (sp) prior to dental cleanings and dental work?
It's not me, it's the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), and the American Dental Association (ADA) who think that. Also the British equivalents, the British Orthopaedic Association and the British Dental Association.
I feel caught in the middle, don't want to take things that aren't necessary, but yet don't want any additional issues.
Then don't go by what I say, go by what the 4 associations I've quoted have said. (see the article Celle left you)
the doctor has prescribed in the IV and that there is no need to take the amoxicillin
I think that rather beggars the reason for this discussion. If a person is given small doses of antibiotics, any bacteria in their body will get enough exposure to allow them to become resistant to that antibiotic. This is how come we are now confronted with MRSA and similar issues. And that we are rapidly moving into the serious state of having no effective antibiotics. This is my concern.

But you are a grow woman and should make up your own mind. You should also read this article about consent which explains how you have the right to concur with or refute any treatment offered by any professional treating you. In other words, it's your choice!

@Josephine thanks for the feed back. I am realizing on most issues there is more than one side and I should check it all out before considering any one thing set in stone. I've put off my dental cleaning for the time being, figured needed my system to settle down for a bit, I had one a month or 2 prior to my replacement so I feel good at waiting some additional time.

I think that waiting will be fine, @zzevi . As long as you normally have good dental hygiene, you should be OK. I don't see a need for professional dental cleaning more than once a year - nor does my dentist.

That's probably a good idea.

Totally agree don't feel it necessary to have 2 a yr, but I think because it's covered by insurance that's why the push on the dentist end.

The way some dentists talk about plaque, you'd think it was a virulent plague. Instead, I think it's a nice money spinner for some of them.
If only as much publicity was given to the prevention of skin melanomas, lives would be saved!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back