Thomasinna is back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Sylvia lovely to hear from you glad your doing well,I had the same thing with the thirst after the op and still do and I also suffered constipation it's a horrible thing and I hope you can get on top of it.
Enjoy your rest xxx

You might try making ( or having you sister's make for you) some stewed prunes, or be sure to get some stool softeners. I found Miralax to be the best as it was used in Rehab. Can be added to any liquid, even water. Tasteless too!

I'm curious if the hospital gave you bed, standing and sitting exercises. Those would be the best for you to do right now. All the in house PT does (well for me anyway) was to monitor how I was doing them and to help teach me (when ready) how to climb the stairs and shower. They came to monitor me getting into the car for my first Dr. visit. Very helpful btu i had to do the exercises on my own a number of times a day, and still do!

You do sound much better than the first day. Glad to see you perking up a bit. PLEASE listen to all of us and REST, ICE and ELEVATE! You'll have the rest of your life to make up for your sitting and healing. XOXOX

Aw Sylvia - are your meds making you sick? You can ask for some anti nausea meds you know. I can't take any of the heavy duty pain stuff. They started my anti nausea meds when I got to the hospital and I took them throughout my stay. Sure makes things easier.

Be sure and have PT show you how to use the crutches and fit them correctly. Unless - did you use them pre-op? My hip was gone pre-op as well so I was on crutches for 7 months. I really wasn't as comfortable with the walker so they let me "graduate" to crutches before I was discharged. Before long you will be running races with them :hehe:.

Are you in a lot of pain? Things will start to ease very soon.

Hang in there Sylvia. Tomorrow you are one week out! Yippeeee! So happy you are on the other side!

I forgot about your upset stomach. Jamie had told me to have Bill eat something before taking his pills. Sometimes taking them on an upset stomach can make you sick.

All such good advice!! The PT gave me bed exercises to do, the ankle pumps, heel slide and press the knee into the bed. I didn't use crutches preop, but the Red Cross folks fitted me with some.

Ahhhh, the anti nausea meds.. I did get some in the hospital, but none for home. If this continues, I'll get some gravol, or call the Dr. for some.

The hospital gave me some laxative to take home along with the stool softner and told me to use lots of fibre.. I did that pre op, with psylium husk, flax seed (ground) and benefibre, all stirred into my morning yogurt. I use the Benefibre in hot liquids too as it dissolves and is tastless and non thickening.

I'm back in bed and here's proof I'm taking it easy.. I had my husband take a picture for all my Bonesmart friends. :thmb:

I knit the bed shawl I'm wearing pre op...and in this picture I'm knitting a pair of socks.

Attachments

• Patient Sylvia at rest Sept 2010 003.jpg
    Patient Sylvia at rest Sept 2010 003.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 199
Ah Sylvia I am so sorry these first few days are being so nasty to you! I guess the bright side is - you are home, and being surrounded by all the loving critters, hubby included ( :hehe: ) and that is a slow wave of healing all on its own.

Thank you for posting, I'm thinking of you and sending the best of healing thoughts your way!

Chris

Sylvia, a couple of points from reading your post....

Be sure you are taking those pain meds with a few bites of food - a couple of crackers, some banana bread, a small brownie. That will help your tummy.

If you aren't taking stool softeners (NOT a laxative), you need to. They will help with the constipation. Be sure the label says "stool softener" and nowhere on it mentions the word "stimulant."

At this early point, you can expect to be VERY, VERY tired after the least little effort. Getting dressed can require a nap. Same with getting a meal or even spending a little time sitting at the table. It's important to listen to your body because it is telling you what it needs you to do.

You're doing just fine! I'm so glad to hear that you ARE able to get up and around a little. That's fabulous!!

Hi Jamie
Yes, I do know I should take a bit of food with the pills, but it was 5am and I was sleepy, so I skipped it.. Wrong thing to do!!!

The Dr. never gave me any stool softners.. can these be purchased over the counter, or do I need a prescription? I sure do need some.

The smallest activities are tiring and that's why I have "learned" the hard way, but as my picture shows.. I am taking it easy.. today I feel queesy and not much like eating, but have managed to keep my breakfast down.. a small lunch is coming my way soon too.

Thanks for the good advice..:thmb:

Stool softeners are an over-the-counter item. Your hubby should be able to pick them up at any grocery or pharmacy store. They really do work and you can take them as long as you need them with no side effects or risk. Eating prunes or drinking prune juice usually works also if you want to give it a "double whammy." :hehe:

I've found the store brands to be JUST as effective as the Name Brands. Mostly they are a soft gel cap. Dulcolax is one name brand, my preference if I don't have store (less expensive) brands. The Miralax is also like the Benefiber. They probably are the same ingredients, but I wouldn't swear to it. Just be sure to take them EVERY day, as long as you are on the narcotic meds.

I've been stirring Benefibre into my soup, coffee, and tea at least twice a day as per directions. I think I'm going to need the softners.. Thanks Janet for some names...

Dulcolax (least, the one I know) is a laxative, not a softener. Dulcoease is the softener.

But Sylvia, it's so good to see that big, wide smile on your face! I know you are doing things right. You just have to take things as you can and what suits you as it goes. In time, all this will settle down and you'll be getting back to your 'normal' self again.

((((((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))) to you my dear!

Sylvia, You look great! I'm glad you're resting. And I'm impressed that you are knitting. I felt too sleepy to knit. I was able to read some and watch a lot of TV, but I would fall asleep all the time.

I took a half a Phenergan when I took my pain medicine (Tramadol), and that kept my nausea under control. Initially, I had been prescribed Percocet for pain, and it made me so, so sick. I also kept a supply of saltines to help with nausea.

My doctor told me to take a stool softener in the morning and one at night, but that wasn't enough. I had to add fiber tablets, prunes, and prune juice. Just do everything you can to keep the constipation under control.

Sending you healing energy!

FYI: Dulcolax does make a laxative (tiny orange pill), but they also have Dulcolax Stool Softeners (red gel caps). I only know this after buying the wrong one :doh:after a ventral hernia surgery...There is also Colace another name brand.

Ah - the one's I was referring to must be the UK versions. Vive la differènce!

Sylvia,
What a cute picture of you!!! You do look like you are all set up there! Well, I won't scold you as that's been done, just say that I'm glad you are taking it easy! I didn't do much the first couple weeks other than shower, eat my meals, and do my pt exercises. Other than that it was pretty much just rest, elevate, ice, and watch movies on the computer! :D

It is kind of frustrating to be so limited, I know....and my husband is SOO not the domestic type. It was actually easier the second time around, he wasn't around as much and the boys were able to cope better I think and there was less drama. (don't tell him I said that, LOL)

It's early days yet and I'd say you should expect to be tired for awhile. It will gradually lessen of course but even after I was up and around for weeks, a bit day would totally wipe my out - and I don't have the fibro to contend with.

So sorry to hear that things did not go the smoothest for you in the hospital - but the good news is that is all behind you now and hopefully things will just get better and better. As you heal and start to feel better I'm sure you'll love how it is not to have that hip hurting you.

Take care and keep us posted as you feel up to it.
:gphg:

Sylvia - you quite comfortable sitting up in your bed. You are actually doing better than me by using the bed. It will be three weeks for this coming Tuesday and I have yet to sleep in a bed. I tried it a few times but I just can not get comfortable laying on my back, so I'm still sleeping in the recliner.

I sure hope you start feeling better soon. As others have said we can hear it in your writing your'e starting to bounce back (somewhat). Well wishes to you..:dogkiss::dogkiss::dogkiss::dogkiss:

Hi Sylvia
It's so hard not to do things when you're so used to doing them but soon you'll be doing more & more things. I felt like I couldn't do much & now, 6 wks post op, it all seems to be coming together. I'm doing most things in the house again although I don't feel ready to drive yet, just don't feel my leg is strong enough or maybe its just my confidence.
Good luck
melanie x p.s. enjoy your :zzz: & rest as much as you can x

Morning Sylvia,
Pain pills made me sick, I can take a darvocet once a day and that was it!! When I am constipated I use Fleets supositorys, they are easiest on the system to me. Flax is great I used to sprinkle it on my cereal or yogurt also. Also I had that UTI infection so the Cipro really had me going to the bathroom!!!

Your picture is so cute and so homey. I think it takes a long time to feel like we did before surgery. I mean walking to the bathroom or kitchen I used to have to lay back down and rest. Just got tired so easy. Kept a bar stool in the kitchen so I could sit and cook or do dishes later. It just takes time to get over the trauma to the body I guess.

Just hang in there, your only a few days out and take one day at a time....This seems like the hard part because I think we all just want to better yesterday!!! And when we do the littlest thing it's :jump:like Hurray!! Sounds likeyou have some good help too so that is nice for you. How are the poochies doing? I know your worry about them so!

Lots of hugs and get wells. Next week you will feel better then this week.... and each week will change a little for the better.:wink: Slow and easy gets it.....Doing nothing and having no pain is better then doing nothing and having pain too!!!! So see your up on that one.:D Be strong and patient...Eat lots of choclate it helps:hehe:
Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks