Status
Not open for further replies.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
gold
It was me that said that recovery isn't a marathon!

Sylvia, I am delighted for you! What a brilliant turn of events. I can't wait til Jean comes and reads that.

OP
OP
Thomasinaa

Thomasinaa

post-grad
Country
Canada Canada
AT LAST,
I get my staples out tomorrow.. they are so itchy and pulling, so out they must come...

I navigated off the back porch this morning using crutches.. it felt to so good to get out and get fresh air and sunshine. I made it to the apple tree.(it's not far) and they've just come ripe and those first fall apples off the tree are so good, sweet and juicy.. then I sat in the sun, knit a bit and just relaxed...

I crashed yesterday afternoon after doing a bit too much in the morning and I was shocked by how profoundly tired just being up and on my feet got me.. even though I used my walker...:shk:

My husband did all the dinner, dishes and I went to bed.. took a pain med and managed to sleep through the night for the 2nd time since my surgery. :thmb:

I tried walking with my cane, but only made a few steps.. weight bearing is still really difficult .. so I shall wait until Oct. 5 when I start my first PT session..

My milestone this week... getting off the porch using crutches:wahey:
I've been resting all day.. husbands orders before leaving for work and I actually listened :hehe:

Leslee

Sylvia -
It's great to read about your progress. Good luck with your doctor's appt. and enjoy the bath/ shower post staples.
~Leslie

OP
OP
Thomasinaa

Thomasinaa

post-grad
Country
Canada Canada
Ahh, the AT LAST BATH.:wahey:. I can hardly wait... as I sat on my slider bath seat tonight, I was thinking about that... just soaking my feet and splashing water about on me like a bird in a shallow bath, is getting old hat so to speak... It will feel divine to soak :thmb:

Jamie

OneStep AMBASSADOR ..Staff member since Feb, 2009
Senior Administrator
Country
United States United States
OneStep Ambassador Icon
Sylvia, you are doing so well!!! I can just feel the strength coming back into your body through your posts. Don't feel the least bit guilty with all the napping and resting. Your body needs it. In no time you'll be flying around again and keeping those dust bunnies under control!!

OP
OP
Thomasinaa

Thomasinaa

post-grad
Country
Canada Canada
That's a good thing Jamie... some of those dust bunnies are getting so big I can pick them up with my reacher!! :hehe: my husband doesn't notice..

Speaking of reachers... I think I should duct tape one to my arm.:hehe:. a shorter version... I can't believe how many things I drop on the floor!!!!!

Jamie

OneStep AMBASSADOR ..Staff member since Feb, 2009
Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
Now THAT would be quite attractive, wouldn't it!!! Just call you the bionic woman....:rotfl:

Jaycey

ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
Administrator
Country
Sylvia - I had to have a reacher in each room. Sometimes I needed a reacher to pick up the reacher I dropped :hehe:.

You sound much better these days. You will feel so good when those staples come out! Major milestone. Let us know how it goes!

sunshine

graduate
Wow, thinking about you going to an apple tree and picking a fresh apple sounds devine!! Better then picking a bag off the counter at the store LOL:hehe:
I agree with everyone you can hear the excitment in your posts and stronger each day.

I am so happy for you and your so glad your not suffering anymore! New beginnings and the worst behind you finally. How about some apple crisp!Lol

Keepon feeling better and stronger every day!!! Your PT will be good for you and make you feel better in the long run. ((hugs)):wahey:

melani

Country
hi Sylvia
Sounds like you're doing well. It does feel great to get out. doesn't it? I overdid it but couldn't resist doing it again! You appreciate everything you've been missing, fresh air, wind, sun etc.
I know what you mean about seeing dust & things I honestly don't think men have the same vision as us. They certainly don't see mess and dirt like we do! Or is selective sight!!! I remember 2 weeks ago getting down onto the floor to dust my tv unit, around Sky machine, VCR etc. It felt so good. I'd been looking at it for weeks & couldn't get down to clean it I'd just had my 6 week check & my surgeon said I could get down to floor if I knelt onto operated leg first, so I had a good tidy up. I'm not complaining, my husband & my family have been great. I just like to do it my way as we all do!
Hope things continue to improve for you.
Melanie x

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
gold
Thomasina said:
I was shocked by how profoundly tired just being up and on my feet got me.. even though I used my walker...
Actually you say that but I think walking with a walker takes more energy than with crutches or with nothing! The way one keeps transferring weight and having to move the walker forward. No wonder you all get tired!

OP
OP
Thomasinaa

Thomasinaa

post-grad
Country
Canada Canada
My Staples are out!! :wahey:

When I got home, I laid down and it feels ok to lie on the operated side.. my surgeon didn't have any stay on your back rules. :thmb:

The Doctor said all looks really good, and the bruising will take time, and to keep on doing what I've been doing.. He gave me 30 more pain pills and wants me to try really hard to wean myself off of them.

AND... I walked with a cane for a bit today.. very slowly, but it felt OK.. the hip a little weird, my knee OK... WHAT a milestone..:thmb: :jump::wahey:

Now I'm elevating and icing to stay ahead of any swelling from my biggest day of activity yet... My husband is home for the next 5 days, so don't worry, I can't get into any trouble with him watching me like a hawk.:hehe:

Thankyou all for your stories too.. I love them.. Sandy.. no apple crisp from these apples.. I gobble them all up raw.. it's not a big tree and I can usually clean it off before frost by eating a few apples a day..

Jaycey.. a reacher in every room.. but I can sure see why.. I'm always looking for mine..

Melanie.. it's when the morning sun shines in the windows that I see all the dust down low too, I love those rainy days.. the house looks cleaner..:hehe:

Jo, now that is something.. I thought a walker was supposed to make walking easier :pzld: I must admit... I will be so glad to shed the walker around the house.. I bang into so many things and if I don't give it up soon, I'll soon destroy the walls and door frames..:hehe:

My day started off with a really bad aching leg, but turned out to be an awesome day... and I'm really CHUFFED...:wahey:

nanamac

big-cheese
Country
Great news Sylvia! I'm thrilled for you, but easy does it, ok? Best! OXOXO

alexthecat

Former BoneSmart staff member
Country
Sylvia, I'm glad you got your staples out! I think the longest I've ever had staples after any of my surgeries was 15 days. You certainly did put up with those for a long time. Did any of yours fall out? That always starts happening to me after about 10 days.

Jo, now that is something.. I thought a walker was supposed to make walking easier :pzld:

The walker makes walking safer for people whose balance and coordination are impaired after surgery. Your gait is much less efficient with a walker though.

The most efficient way for humans to walk is with a cross-coordination of arms and legs. In other words, as you step forward with one leg, the opposite arm swings forward as well. The walker separates the motion of the arms and legs, so it takes more energy to move around.

Plus, it takes energy to drag that heavy, awkward walker around, especially if you need to turn...

OP
OP
Thomasinaa

Thomasinaa

post-grad
Country
Canada Canada
Thanks for the explanation Alex, that is really interesting, things that I've never even thought about before.

My staples were all intact, but they did come out really easy and each one had a drop of blood pop out.. the Dr. said it was because of the blood thinners I'm on.

I'm really tired tonight, but so happy I actually shed the walker for a bit.

Jaycey

Administrator
Country
Yeah Sylvia - what a day for you. So glad to hear things are going well. Now it's rest and recovery day, right?

I think you mentioned before you had crutches. Have you tried progressing to them instead of straight to a cane? They give you a bit more stability than a cane but certainly don't weigh you down like a walker.

Hope you are sleeping soundly now that you are "staple free"! :zzz:

Jean

senior
Country
Stitches out! That's great Sylvia.

For indoors I have a trolley-walker with wheels so it is quite easy to manoeuvre.
I don't have to lift it and I couldn't manage without it. It's only a little bigger
than an ordinary walker. Quite handy for taking plates of food and cups of tea
through from kitchen to dining area.

ai55.tinypic.com_2youwzs.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics