Thomasinna is back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jean - you are absolutely right! If he has to do things he will figure it out.

Sylvia - that's the hard part. You have your way and now must sit back and watch. But the secret is that as soon as you are able you will put it right. Patience is the key. Just keep reminding yourself this is all temporary. You will soon be cracking that whip again :hehe:.

Sorry you are having pain in the early morning hours. Ice is the key. And lots of naps!

And keeping up on the pain meds! Now that you are doing "more" you may need "more". If the Rx says take 1-2 and you've been taking 1, take 2. Or if it says, every 4-6 hours, take it at 4! Now that you are home and doing more for yourself you are using more of the poor muscles that have just taken a REAL beating!

And a word on the Narcotic meds: They HAVE to be hand delivered and signed for. They can not be callled in, at least not in the US. If you are getting low on meds either the OS has to mail you a prescription or you will have to pick it up at the office, so don't let yourself run out...:nah:

Hi Sylvia! Just getting caught up on your recovery. Sounds like it is going great! You will soon be amazed at how much progress you make day to day. As long as all the new sensations dissapate after a few days (the aches, or the bruising) you know everything is alright and normal. Looking back, I wish I enjoyed my recovery more and not have worried so much. But I do have another one to look forward to and I pledge to enjoy every minute of it.

Keep up the good work!

And keeping up on the pain meds! Now that you are doing "more" you may need "more". If the Rx says take 1-2 and you've been taking 1, take 2. Or if it says, every 4-6 hours, take it at 4! Now that you are home and doing more for yourself you are using more of the poor muscles that have just taken a REAL beating!

Hi Nana Janet.
That's exactly what I'm doing :thmb: And you hit the nail on the head.. the Rx say's take 1 or 2 every 4 hours, and I upped it to 2.. and the long acting one say's 1 or 2 a day and I upped it to 2

The aching in my leg is awful and I'm using lots of ice.

My skin is very tender and even the slightest pressure on it hurts... Is this normal??? I didn't have aching to this degree until 2 days ago.. is it because I'm trying to do more?:sigh::sigh::cry: I can't put full pressure on my leg yet.

I've been napping on and off the past 2 days and not sitting up as much watching TV.

I did take my first outing this morning and I'll save that story for my next post. I hit the bed as soon as we got home.. :thmb:

Sylvia I stopped at the local Medicine Centre today, they do deliveries, but not out here, as a rule (so maybe was the impression I got). I can call and speak to the owner on Tuesday, so thanks for that heads up, I didn't think they did, but I guess that being a real person asking can maybe have a result :thmb: Also checked when I was in Costco and they can take a faxed prescription as long as the original is mailed in, anyone can pick up for me, so that's looking like my first option if possible. Janet I was thinking there would be restrictions on how they get the prescription and pick up as well, so I was rather surprised. Anyways, the big thing is - I know the surgeon will prescribe, and now there's a couple potential plans to get it.

Jaycey, I did ask a lot of questions in the pre-hab session here. I've asked questions of the people who provide the services. It's like there is a box with certain types of patients, and there are certain scenarios, if one brings up a scenario or situation that doesn't fit the box one gets at best a blank stare, at worst an annoyed response of "well get someone". There are resources for seniors, certain race/ethnic groups, certain social or medical status groups. I'm just not fitting the boxes.

So I lurk and follow threads and rely on every little tidbit to help me plan, that's where you folks are so helpful :D

Sylvia - you got off the homestead??? Hope it was a good outing ??? At this point even shopping will look good won't it? :hehe:

Chris

Thomasina said:
The aching in my leg is awful and I'm using lots of ice.

My skin is very tender and even the slightest pressure on it hurts... Is this normal??? I didn't have aching to this degree until 2 days ago.. is it because I'm trying to do more?
Yes it is. Keep on top of those pain meds. Remember, by the clock, Don't let that pain surface else you're playing catch-up which isn't very good. Remember the pain chart?

ai35.tinypic.com_29nymuc.jpg

Jo
Thanks for the info..
Here's what I've been prescribed:

Hydromorph Contin 6mg 2 tabs a day.. 12 hours apart.

PMS-Hydromoph 2mg. 1-2 tabs every 4 hours

Blood Thinner - Rivaroxaban 10 mgs.. very expensive.. 28 pills cost $291.57 :shk: BC Pharmacare picked up $190, so that sure helped. I think my jaw hit the floor at the drugstore counter!

On the full doseage, I still have the deep aching, more at night when I'm trying to sleep..

I see my Dr. next thursday to get the staples out... Should I ask him for something different or stronger? My low blood pressure was an issue.. still is to some extent and in the hospital they gave me the lower of the prescribed doseage.. the nurse at discharge told me this.

I also take Tylenol, up to 4 grams a day and gabapentin 900mgs and 200mg of celebrex.. and still I have this awful ache...

Your advice is always appreciated and maybe I should have written this post earlier when this awful aching started..

Today I had my first outing..:wahey::wahey::wahey:

I had my first outing in 12 days and all went well.. It was only an hour and a half outing, including driving time..but just long enough.

We went to Shoppers Drug Mart and I picked up a few items and it was warm in the store and I got a bit woozy, but my husband walked behind me in case I fainted..I had my walker and people were good today and moved around me..

Then it was off to Quality Foods.. it's a small grocery store and it wasn't busy which I found strange for a Saturday morning, and once again.. people were good.. I had to go really slow, but it was so thrilling just to be out.

It's a really windy day and the wind in my hair and on my face felt so divine... I leaned up against the car and enjoyed all 5 minutes of it while I waited for my husband to help me into the car.

As soon as we got home, I went straight to bed, while my husband took care of all the unpacking and now he's making us lunch while I lounge in bed like a pampered princess with my pooch resting her head on my good leg... Bessy, the border collie... she's doesn't normally snuggle with me, but knows I'm ailing and has been very good and so quiet around me.

I am so thrilled and happy that I did this.. another milestone..:jump::jump::jump:

Well done Sylvia, glad you enjoyed your outing.

Time for me to get into bed now as it has just gone 1.00 am!
(another day nearer 8th October)

Sylvia, I am just now catching up on your progress after being on a vacation from the forum for a few days. I am SO impressed with how well you are doing!!! Girl, you are chugging right along, aren't you! You're going to be out walking those doggies in no time.

Hi Jamie
I'm sort of chugging along, at a snails pace, but a pace none the less. :thmb:

I honestly think it'll be 2011 before I'm able to hang on to a dogs leash.. that's only 4 months away, so gives me plenty of time to get going on PT and deal with the 3 month rules for the uncemented hips..

I'm so worried the dogs will pull me too hard, or a loose dog will come up and cause havoc.. I've had that happen way to many times, living in the country where there are no "loose" dog bylaws.. It's the pits and has caused me lots of grief and one good fall.:shk:

The owners do NOTHING.. :hissy::hissy: even when talked to :hissy: You can see I get very riled up over that subject..:sigh:

I'm glad you are back from vacation and stopped by to drop me a note..:wub: I am doing pretty good, considering I have Fibromyalgia to deal with also and I'm postive I've had a flare up which has contributed to my increased pain levels of late..

Sylvia - I know that felt great getting out and about. My first trip was with my daughter Megan to a Costco (warehouse store). I sat my butt in one of those electric scooters the store provides for its customers. I parked the scooter in a corner near the return counter where Megan was standing in line. My biggest fear was the mass shoppers come in and out of this store like a herd of animals somethings and I sure didn't want to be knocked down so I stayed it the scooter the whole time.

You are progressing along very well, you already see how you are doing more and more each day. :thmb:

Sylvia - you asked earlier if the aching is normal. And in the same post you said you had your first outing. All this is why Jo is reminding you of the pain chart. As you start moving around more there will be more discomfort. Just be sure and stay ahead of the pain.

I found taking a day to rest after an outing was the best way to try and build my strength. Pretty soon you will not need that day but for now it is important to let your body move in slightly slow motion.

You are taking the same blood thinner I did. Please be really careful and have someone with you when you go out. I had the same BP problem and fainting/lightheaded feelings. Still can't believe it took me 5 weeks to figure out that the op did not cause me to get dizzy!

Take care Sylvia. You are really doing well!

Hi Jaycey

I just missed you by seconds, I noticed you were online so I sent you a message and by the time I finished it, you were offline.. Murphies Law...:bow:

and hi to the rest of Bonesmart family

The pain behind and arround my knee and down the side of my calf have woken me so many times tonight, I got up, took a pain pill plus one half and got my ice packs out for the second time tonight.. It's a little after 2am right now :shk: Why only half... I worry about my blood pressure nose diving again.. that was really scar for me while in hospital..

I do rest between outings,:zzz: and have for years due to my fibromyalgia..

Heck.. I only go out on the average of once or twice a week and that's to get groceries, medical appointments and medications from the drug store..

The area where I'm the sorest is where I have all the bruising like in my pictures I posted of behind my knee.. I'll post it again, even though the bruising has gone down a fair bit since this pic was taken.:sigh:

Since this picture was taken, the bruising spread around to the top of the kneecap and down the side of the calf. That bruising has faded also, but the area hurts so much that even the skin is tender and painful.. the weight of the blankets hurts so I put a small pillow along side my legs to elevate the blankets.

I suppose my outing aggravated this, but I had to try an outing for my well being and mental health also. :bow:

My meds are kicking in, I've moved the ice pack around a few times and now it's time to see if I can get a few more hours of sleep. :zzz::zzz:

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 152
Just sent you PM Sylvia. Take care!

Hi Sylvia I find I'm in a lot of pain after outings yesterday all I did was sit in a car drive 5 minutes and sit on a friends couch for 2 hours by the time I got home my knee was throbbing :( I suppose it just part and parcel of the recovery hope your doing ok today xxx

Thanks everyone for your support..

Natalie.. I can sure empathize with the sitting too long.. my whole body stiffens up..

The pain pills kicked in and I elevated my legs and fell asleep for a couple of hours..

My morning dose of meds is just about due... thank god I made it through the night... when I woke the first time, I'd only been asleep for an hour and the aching was brutal. Thus, I figured I was in for a sleepless night...

Thankyou Jaycey for being there for me in the middle of the night... this is what Bonesmart is all about for me.. support, caring and great advice.. :thmb:

No problem Sylvia. Glad I could extend a "cyber hand". So many were there for me during those rough early days of recovery. I am so glad to be able to (in some way) return the kindness.

Hope you can rest today and get that leg elevated and settled. Naps are prescribed!

Take care!

Jo
Thanks for the info..
Here's what I've been prescribed:

Hydromorph Contin 6mg 2 tabs a day.. 12 hours apart.

PMS-Hydromoph 2mg. 1-2 tabs every 4 hours
Sylvia, sorry I've been so long getting back to this. Fact is, I'm not at all familiar with those drugs so cannot really comment. But it would seem that the Hydromorph Contin is a time release and the PMS-Hydromorphone is a back-up dose.

So since it would not seem these are giving you good control of your pain, I would suggest you have a chat with your GP and see if he can't change it for something different that will be more effective.

The use of the blood thinners is neither here nor there is this.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks Jo,
I see my GP on Thursday.. that's the soonest I can get in and he's been on vacation, so hopefully my leg will settle down by then..:pray::pray:

I got a couple more hours sleep this morning and my morning meds are helping, but the soreness in the lower leg is there.. more of a "dull" ache now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks