Ask the Expert Webinar
Lounge Doctor

THR This is what overweight discrimination in America looks like.

AngryGreg

Country
United States United States
My wife has Lupus, Psoriatic Arthritis, PCOS and a really messed up hip and knee from falling at work. She's been trying to get a total hip for 2 years, but even though she's lost over 60 lbs, she hasn't dropped below the magical 40 BMI yet. 2 years laying in bed and taking Oxy, waiting for Labor and Industries to find her a doctor that will fix her hip.

Her hip gave out today in the bathroom and she fell, now this is what her leg looks like:

Weight Discrimination 1.png

Thank goodness they made her wait for the surgery till she was at a healthy weight...

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I am so sorry for both of you. What a difficult thing to deal with and now a fracture. Are you dealing with regular insurance or is this a Worker's Comp insurance and doctors? Sometimes it is not just the doctors but the insurance guidelines/rules.

There are doctors out there that will do surgery even with a higher bmi as they realize it is hard to lose weight without being able to move due to pain.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
I'm so sorry to hear of the problems your wife is having getting a hip replacement. Since you attached a photo of her ankle, was that an injury she sustained in her recent fall? I'm assuming she went to the ER....what exactly was the diagnosis from the fall?

Do you have any x-rays or a diagnosis that pertains to her hip? I'm a bit confused as to why you would be working with a Workman's Comp claim on her hip for over 2 years. It would help if you could provide a little more detail about what has transpired during this time. It would also be helpful to know her current BMI (or height and current weight).

If you are having difficulty with a Workman's Comp claim, it is always possible to hire an attorney to assist you. You also may be able to have her hip replaced using your own health insurance instead of the Workman's Comp program. It has always been my experience that Workman's Comp can be difficult and they use their own doctors. You usually have no choice in who to see. Has that been the case for your wife? There are surgeons who will operate on higher BMI patients (over 40 BMI).

I will look forward to hearing a bit more about your wife's situation and what got her to this point. It does sound like she needs a new hip and she's working hard to lose weight, which will make her surgery and recovery easier and less risky.

Getting joints replaced for a high BMI person can be challenging, but it's not impossible. We will try to help you as much as possible.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
TKR. 2019
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom