• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

This is THE day ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judles

alpha
Country
United States United States
You DID get a(nother) bargain on Ebay,Jo! My stool (chair) was pretty low to the ground! But when those things take off on a ceramic tile floor,,,,,,,,whoa!!!!! :)

Nursepair

supremo
Not long now Jo. It's good to see you are keeping busy to keep your mind off it. When you first get home you won't be worrying about housework at all, I couldn't have cared less for weeks after, something to do with the Percocets I think :)

Can your sister or someone come in the first day to see you are comfortable on your first day home? My mum sometimes uses those Ready Meals in the UK. She says they arequite good. Though she usually cooks good meals for herself at lunchtime.

Anyway, please take care of yourself as well as you can. You won't want too heavy a dinner at first anyway, narcotics see to that.

(((HUGS))))) Sue xoxoox

OP
OP
Josephine

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Sadly my sister's very sick - in a wheel chair waiting to have her (first) hip done. She can't even walk around her house atm.

Judles

alpha
Country
OK, Jo,,,,,I just KNEW your sister didn't have an ATM in her house,,,,At The Moment!!!Those acronyms can drive ya completely nuts!!!!
I miss the Food Halls from Marks & Spencer!
I know you're stocking up on healthy,nutritious meals!
I miss Twiglets! Nothing like them here!!!! How are you feeling today???? :)

OP
OP
Josephine

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
Just for the record (or jftr!) these are my knee xrays from last week. I've marked the areas where impingement is occurring.

ai41.tinypic.com_287n6lv.jpg
ai42.tinypic.com_2nknw94.jpg

And this is my poor little toe
at 5 weeks! The fluffy appearance around the middle is the new bone growth

ai42.tinypic.com_8x7l6o.jpg

Country
Ahhhhhh Jo,
Being alone is no fun at all. I so wish there was a way for you to have a friend come and vist for just a few days when you first get home. I have all ways been the care giver in the family. But to tell the truth, it would have been nice to have had someone here when I got home from the Hospital. But I never let it show I just say to myself "Buck-up Little Buck-o-roo" This is the way it is so deal with it!!! And I deal with it. ( I cry by myself! but I deal with it!!!)
Maybe a niece? or cousin could come and pop in for a few days Jo?????

^i^

OP
OP
Josephine

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
Sadly our family is not a 'together' kind of family. My nieces and nephews hardly know me and I don't have any cousins. Nope - the community support wagon doth not roll for me!

But how are you, dear Angel? Is that leg any better now?

aussie

graduate
Country
Australia Australia
Sorry you won't have someone with you Jo. We will all be there in spirit and hope that brings some comfort.

Chris :)

Country
Jo,
You must not worry about me!!! You were such a big help to me. I was scared I knew that something was off about the whole thing. But After Talking to You I felt better.
Remembering that if "God has brought me to it, He will see me through it" I just got scared and forgot only I can turn this around. And I will Jo!!! I will get through this.
So now we must get you taken care of. I have so much family I would be more then happy to share some with you. But I know that you must have a touch stone somewhere that you have forgotten. Someone who is going to Say "JO WHY DIDN'T
YOU CALL ME???????????????" I have a friend like that, she goes and goes so I just hate to ask her to do anything for me when I know she is so busy (She is the Head Nurse for the County.) But She will say why didn't you call??? And I know she means it.
Thats why I never even told her I was having my knees done. I would have had to deal with the guilt trip. LOL
^i^

OP
OP
Josephine

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
Ah, Angel - you are, well, an angel. All of you are! But you are all my chicks and I care about you all deeply. No kidding! And when you're a nurse, you have this auto-pilot and it just won't switch off.

I remember the day after I'd had my hsyterectomy, a lady in a nearby bed just got back from theatre having had a thyroidectomy and started being sick. You know, in an instant I was out of bed and by her side with that vomit bowl, supporting her head whilst she threw up and then wiping her mouth with tissues. Never gave it a second thought until she said "Thanks, but I really think you should go back to bed before someone sees you!". Was only then I realised I was standing there in my nightie and bare feet, shivering with cold and also feeling a tad shaky because of my recent op! Boy did I feel foolish! I mean - what was I thinking?

But you can never turn off that 'on duty' switch. Not if you were serious about your job ...

Also - just had a phone call from the hospital that I've got a urine infection! Bummer!

So I discussed this with the 'co-ordination manager', including reference to one or two more private issues - and then discovered she was just a secretary not a nurse!
ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b286_flagady15_smilies_doh.jpg
So she's faxing the report over to my GP and I'll discuss it with her instead!

Country
Dang Jo I am sorry to hear that you have a urine infection. Will this change your knee surgery date?? All I had before either of my surgeries was a blood test. No EKG no nothing. Just a vile of blood and away we go!!! LOL Please let me know what your Doctor saids Jo. I will say a extra pray for you.
^i^

OP
OP
Josephine

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
Turns out it's nothing too serious. And I'm just off to collect a three day 'better be safe than sorry' course of antibitoics.

Linda2

post-grad
Some extra antibiotics before surgery--can't hurt. Your hysterectomy story reminds me of a hospital story of my own. After I gave birth to my third son, I got stuck in a four bed ward due to a bit of overcrowding. The mother in the bed furthest from me unwrapped her first son for a first look-see after his circumcision. The screaming started. I jumped up and ran down to her, my own newborn over my shoulder, took a gander for myself and reassured her that all new circumcisions have that "meat-grinder" appearance. (Sorry, Doug) I was much slower returning to my bed.

OP
OP
Josephine

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
Yes, must come as something of a shock, that! Only slightly matched by parents whose precious sons' winkles are attached to a Plastibell!

JudyS

alpha
Country
Jo
I am so glad your urine infection did not delay your surgery. You guys are the best with your nursing instincts. I too am not happy unless I am helping others.
My doctor when I was growing up told me I should be a nurse and move to a warm climate. I was always freezing and my hands were always cold. I probably had endocrine problems way back then.

Now at the age of 51 I would love to go to nursing school. I am trying to figure out a career in the health field that would not need more than 2 years of school . Then I worry no one would hire me at my age. Life is challenging!!!
OK I'd better stop this chatting, I thought I was on my hippy thread. Sorry
judy

OP
OP
Josephine

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
Don't be sorry, Judy - this is a chatty thread too!

I had a stunning telephone call just now - my brother and his wife are coming to stay for a few days when I come out of hospital!
ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b286_flagady15_smilies_yahoo.jpg
I am so chuffed, I could hardly speak when she phoned and told me! She kept saying 'well, well?' and I just couldn't speak! They live almost 250 miles away and neither are young - both 72!

Can't stop any longer - got to get the house cleaned!

(just kidding!)

Judles

alpha
Country
Oh Jo! Chuffed? Let them help YOU! Isn't that what they should be doing?
Don't think you're "looking forward" to your knee surgery now,are you????

OP
OP
Josephine

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
Chuffed means delighted, Judles! I'm certainly viewing it with a bit less stress, that's for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dja724
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom