Hip Infection* This is NOT what I thought!

Yes, the wash out was all in the surgical area, but the hematoma was in my groin and very large he said..this is what came back with MRSA. It was not down to hip bone, thank God. Any idea what would cause a hematoma like that? I also am wondering why I am still hurting in my groin and thigh so..still having trouble walking!
The haematoma was probably caused by damage to a blood vessel while your hip was being manipulated to insert the new hardware. Some haematomas do get infected, but usually not a huge problem, since your hip joint itself isn't affected.

It's very common to feel hip joint pain in your groin, so your pain is probably still post-op pain and it should settle down slowly.

The haematoma was an additional complication that gave your body one more assault to recover from, so make allowances for yourself and give yourself a bit longer to recover.

Thanks all for kind words of encouragement. Today I am limping and my "good hip" is worse than the operated one..I was not ordered any PT other than the home exercises given and walking. Any thoughts as to what to do to help? I know I have strained the better hip/leg trying to walk and thinking I may go back to my walker till this calms down, sigh. I also found out I have a UTI..it just gets better and better. Did not here from my Primary concerning bloodwork Monday, so, probably today.

Let us know what you hear from your primary - I suggest calling them first thing in the morning (squeaky wheel gets the oil). Take it easy until then. Take care.

Hi @Carolinagirl54
I'm sorry that you have had such a hard time...:console2:

I know the walker made me feel very infirmed, maybe just the optics of it all...
It was necessary as I had a "two for one" and I had my upper body in fits due to my bad posture, improper heighth of the frame, and my death grip on the handles.
I really think it is smart for you to use it and baby that hip. The surgery and subsequent surgery has things very traumatized and I know alot of sitting is also uncomfortable...but I wouldn't seek out too many exercises to add at this point.
Hope you are getting an antibiotic for your UTI as this also needs to be knocked out.

I hope that this is just a huge pothole on your recovery road and you get to feeling better very soon.
Slow and easy doesn't feel very proactive, but is necessary due to all you've been through.
Healing hugs for a better week.

Thank you for replies of encouragement!
Concerning bloodwork; all PA said was it showed "inflammation" and they called in a RX for the UTI..so now I'll be on 2. She wants me to come back and repeat the bloodwork at end of week to be sure inflammation is down..make sure its not my hip, I guess. I decided to go back to my walker until I can get my good leg calmed down.

Saw my labs on the portal tonight.

ESR (SED-RATE) 61
WBC 10.44
MCHC 28.4 says low..dont know what it is
POLYS, ABS. COUNT 7.26 says low..dont know what it is
PLATELET COUNT 548 HIGH
So this is why she wants me to repeat to see if UTI Rx brings this back to normal or if it's the hip I'm guessing? There was also a urine culture report and meds sensitive, which I understood. THOUGHTS? SED rate is the inflammation, correct? Platelets were highest. THX FOR YOUR HELP!

Hi @Carolinagirl54
I certainly am not a medical professional and it does look like to me like your immune system is in overdrive to deal with the surgery trauma and infections.
I do hope your primary care will be sharing this information with your orthopedic surgeon even though I know you feel he has come off ambivalent to some of your concerns.
Please try to eat well, iron rich foods can be helpful along with good old Vitamin C rich juices for absorption.
Hope the antibiotics knock out the UTI and things level off for you soon.
Rest all you can...:console2:

Good Morning,
I‘m sorry you’re dealing with all of this so early into your recovery. You can find the definition of the blood tests you’re questioning through a quick online search giving a detailed explanation of each and its relevancy. Hopefully the antibiotics are effective and you’re able to move forward toward complete healing. Wishing you the best with the bloodwork at the end of the week and hope the results are favorable.
I hope you have a day of peaceful relaxation.
@Carolinagirl54

Hi @Carolinagirl54 -
Going to the new antibiotic was a good move by the PA; I expect they or your PCP may want to run blood cultures after the three weeks to see it’s gone - check with them both.
I just had my second anterior approach yesterday. Had some gnarly issues with the first (in my thread) but this one going better.
Urge incontinence is common as we age or when we are under stress. With all the mechanics of getting to the bathroom with a walker ( or even just tripping over cats) I’m curren5ly opting for one of the fancy new adult pull ups. They save a lot of embarrassment and give you peace of mind and some are quite attractive.
If you go to PT, you want one who looks at your daily activities like bathroom, getting in and out of bed. As the moderators have said the hip will heal by itself withou5 a lot of manipulation.
Ask your PCP or the PA for a reasonable pain med. If you need it you need it - it’s what allows you to do what you need to do. I personally don’t do well with Vicodin or Percocet - they make me woozy but do little for pain. So I am alternating Tylenol and ibuprofen with some Tramadol as needed. Tramadol doesn’t have the same bad effects for me and helps the pan. It is sedating but not “woozy making” like the others for me - but we are all different. Some PA’s are easier to talk with that the surgeon they work for.
it will get better despite the setback - just give it the time it needs to take.

Thank you SO much for the encouragement, DesertHorses! I wish I thought my surgeon would order cultures..he is way too nonchalant about this for me!

:hi: I hope you are feeling better and you've got that UTI on the run....
Wishing you a happy Saturday
:SUNsmile:

Hey guys, it's been awhile. I think I now am in the post surgery funk. Return to PA for bloodwork showed blood count was back to normal, but sed rate still high. Still on Doxycycline for the MRSA removed in 2nd surgery, UTI treated, cleared, now a pesky ear/sinus infection that I can't get rid of. I have zero energy even tho my iron and D levels appear ok. Don't feel like doing anything but sitting in the recliner..even a shower wears me out. I am walking much better on my operated hip but now the other one is bad. SIGH...so over it..drained. I'm very nervous about stopping the Doxy..that the MRSA be gone.

I'm sorry this is taking a toll on you...:console2:
Please do try to stay mindful of your nutritional requirements as antibiotics always cause a loss if appetite for me.:sad:
Small walkabouts several times a day sound like they are more helpful than pushing longer activity while your body is still trying to rebound.

I hope this chapter in your recovery with this exhaustion phase ends soon.
Keep the faith, friend...we are rooting for you.

Just a quick note to say we are thinking of you. I hope you are feeling a bit better. Surgery takes such a toll on us and our moods and you have had extra complications. Be kind to yourself and take care. Wishing you a peaceful day.

Thanks to all, as always! I finally went up a bit on my antidepressant and it's helped some. My days and nights are mixed up. I've been on 2 REALLY strong antibiotics and I think one is causing insomnia..then I don't feel like doing anything in the day. My new hip is better, but as stated before, now the other one is about as bad as that one before surgery. It's just discouraging when it's gone on for so long and you get other things to boot. I go back tomorrow for a recheck with my OS. Not sure why, as he never wants to recheck bloodwork or MRI that I feel necessary..incision and placement of the hip seems all that is important..not to me..I want to know the MRSA is gone!

Not sure why, as he never wants to recheck bloodwork or MRI that I feel necessary..incision and placement of the hip seems all that is important..not to me..I want to know the MRSA is gone!

I hope you receive answers to your questions and gain some reassurance through your visit with the surgeon today. Let us know how it goes. We’re here fo you.
Best wishes for the day! :SUNsmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks