Knee Infection* Third time's the charm, I hope

Short story long, my fantastic revision knee replacement gave me 2.5 years of good service but I was hobbled on July 25th with an acute infection. I woke up feeling fine, and by the end of the day I could not walk and also felt very ill. Spent four days schlepping to this ER and that doctor while in no condition to be out of bed. Knee aspirate taken on July 26th got botched in the lab, repeat on Aug. 26th, then the 29th we drove 5 hours to see my surgeon. Next day I underwent an antibiotic washout and exchange of polyethylene liner. Five days in hospital (ugh), IV antibiotics at home for six weeks, plus wound vac (off now), knee immobilizer (to allow the incision to heal properly), and my best friend the knee ice machine. The worst two weeks of my life, but getting better fast. My first TKR is what originally brought me to bonesmart. I hope to very soon be in the clear. This leg also got run over January of this year (no fracture and no damage to TKR), and was treated for an invasive melanoma. I mean, how many times can lightning strike the same spot?

Sympathies to all of you who come on here looking for support and answers. When the TKR is less than good, it can be a rough road.

Last edited:
Hi, Mary, I’m so sorry to read you got an infection. And, your leg got run over! Wow, you sure have been through a lot! :console2:

I surely hope you heal well from this recent situation with your knee.

I do have a question, can you please confirm the date of this latest revision. Your signature says August 28, 2021.

Also, you’ll notice I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread for this knee, as you now have an additional situation on the same knee.

Maryo52,
You have had so many challenges with your knee, sending you healing thoughts for this latest challenge.

Thanks ladies.

I'm holding up but not sure how!

@maryo52 I read most of your posts. I am so sorry for your most recent setback. Really praying for your speedy healing and minimal pain! You are a warrior. God bless.

I'm going to hold onto your words, Gingerbread.

First day of bending. Just letting it bend passively. It feels very tight and not very bendy but not a lot of pain (thank you Aleve). A little worried about my hematocrit which is not budging from a low of 27. IV infusions going fine. Had my first PICC line maintenance today -- oh, the excitement of a "date" with an infusion clinic!! One week out of six for home IV antibiotics. Feeling scared because the infectious disease doc mentioned that I might be on antibiotics "for life." On a good note, I've had people come over and catch me up a bit on my vegetable garden chores. It's a big garden and a big piece of my heart.

My heart goes out to you and all the others who suffer infections and complications. Good luck this time.

Just for the sake of being cognizant, if this infection is not quelled there'd be another surgery and if that doesn't work out, amputation. OS says the cure rate is 80% and doing some research I see lower numbers, like 55%. Maybe 80% is his personal cure rate. Can only hope for the best.

First PT, very gentle, nice massage, kneecap mobilizations, quad sets, gentle bends. Lots of quad sets to get the quad going.

I have IV antibiotics which I self infuse three times a day, and it's due now plus at 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. Five more weeks of that!

The knee swelling, which is exacerbated by the removal of 5 lymph nodes in my groin in April, has responded to the combo of lots of icing and medium compression stockings. Tomorrow stitches out.

This is the third calamity to happen to my knee. First in January, 20 degrees outside, I stopped at a convenience store and the car starting rolling backward after I got out. I tried to jump back in but the front wheel pinned my foot, knocked me down and the front wheel of my SUV ran over my foot and right up my leg and came to rest on my thigh. I was freed when bystanders rolled the car back the way it came. I ended up with soft tissue damage and the bones and prosthesis were unharmed miraculously.

Next month I was diagnosed with melanoma and had surgery in April to remove it from my right ankle, along with those lymph nodes. That whole episode was worse than being run over.

Now this, worst of all. I dearly hope this is it!!

Stitches are out, however butterfly's were put in their place to insure wound adhesion -- just another reason to be very gentle with bending. The recovery is going smoothly.

I'm 15 days out. Today my car died (it has 285K miles). Husband was driving. What an ordeal. I stuck out my thumb and a tourist gave us a ride home! Fell asleep and woke up to thunder. Then lighting struck very near the house and I heard at least one circuit flip off. Oh the excitement!!

When it rains it pours, literally today.
Glad your stitches are out, and you are home.

@maryo52
I hope you are able to kick your infection. I had BTKR in July 2020. The left knee healed well. The right knee was always behind, and in February 2021 it went south. I had an infection in the implant and tibia bone. I had the implant and diseased bone removed and replaced with a cement antibiotic filled spacer on Feb 25th. I went home with a picc line and did 8 weeks of IV infusions. The first antibiotic almost killed me, so back into the hospital I went to get my white blood cell count under control. By May 15th I was infection free (based on blood work and a knee fluid aspiration). I had my final revision surgery on June 28, 2021. It’s been 7 weeks, and I’m doing really well at PT (flexion 107, extension -5). I’m going back to work teaching middle school face to face on Monday. But boy am I paranoid about any little ache or pain. I live in fear of the infection coming back.

I wish you a complete recovery and a full, active life!!! You’ve been through so much already. You deserve to be well!

@Mrs. Ciz
I'm supposed to work this year (school nurse, PK-8). I loved it last year despite all that it entailed. But it's the town's school board that decides the mask policy, and I've already had enough medical drama. I'm just playing it by ear. In light of the nursing shortage, it's me or no one at that school (I'm the #2 nurse).

A few days ago my neuropathy overtook my knee as far as pain levels. I am never out of pain!! So I've been able to skip the bedtime narcotic. I'm feeling good knee-wise but am moderately anemic (have only 2/3rds of my usual red blood cells).

The self infusions are creepy at first but I'm getting used to them.

Your infection seems due to bacteria seeded during surgery. Mine came from bacteria that got to my knee via my bloodstream, and no one's been able to figure out how it happened. I don't think this will make me paranoid but I do intend to be much more mindful of every little ill on my body. Fingers crossed that in six months I'll pass all the infection markers. What a nightmare this has been!

My F/U is Aug. 26th. I am also being followed by an infectious disease doctor. Each week I have PICC line maintenance, and at the same time they draw blood for standing order labs. When I left the hospital two weeks ago my hematocrit was 27 and it's still 27, which is not low enough to need transfusion but leaves me without much energy. I suspect my antibiotics are partly to blame. I will be on IV antibiotics for 3 weeks 3 days more, and the oral antibiotics will be for six months. It's a living nightmare. Just making the best of every day. My son is here to help out. I do have a chore list but I am in dire need of more than my husband can give me. Would love a hot bath (cannot immerse yet) and/or a massage (they are all booked up due to summer people and tourists). This too shall pass?

I read a post of yours elsewhere, which led me to your thread. I’m sorry you’re going through this experience, Mary and hope that your health is fully restored during this process. I think infection is something that enters all of our minds occasionally, an unpleasant thoughts we don’t care to dwell on, but here you are supporting others in the midst of your own complication. It’s admirable. Wishing you all the best as you continue journeying through.
@maryo52

@Layla Thank you! Constant lessons of having no control.

The knee is doing great. It's all the other stuff that's overwhelming. My life is ruled by medical this and that, pills, total lack of energy due to anemia. I hope I pull out of this mess.

Knee continues to do great, but the antibiotics have changed a few things. I wake up with some degree of headache every day. My gut often doesn't feel well. My sense of taste is altered so I don't enjoy food. Loss of enjoyment. Very little energy due to anemia. It's a veritable endurance test.

Sorry to hear you are having so many side effects from the antibiotics. Glad the antibiotics are doing their job and you knee is doing great.

In the late afternoon I feel chilled, close window, put on a sweater, then feel hot and take the sweater off and open windows. Temps have been in mid-99 range, peaked at 100.5 yesterday. ID doctor is letting me take a few days off from the oral antibiotic to give my gut a break. I can talk to my doctor or another from his group 24/7 so that's in my back pocket. Just feel so washed out. Knee doing fine.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom