Knee Infection* Third time's the charm, I hope

maryo52

Former BoneSmart staff member
Country
United States United States
Surgery is done and I have stemmed nickel-free implants and a remodeled kneecap. Surgeon was amazed I could walk on what I had (I used a brace). I had been trying to connect with him in the month leading up to surgery, to discuss my worry about arthrofibrosis. So I brought the topic up when I signed the consent for surgery while in pre-op. He totally went off on me, said in front of 2-3 people that I was the most difficult patient he'd had in years, had twice considered cancelling the surgery, didn't think I trusted him, he fixes knees for kings and queens and there are 120 people waiting for him to do surgery on him. Then he stormed out. I was beyond flabbergasted. The nurse sat there for a while and then said, he's a really good surgeon, can you get beyond this and have the surgery? I arranged for my husband to come in and told him what happened. After a while the surgeon returned, a little more composed, and explained himself a little more although I think the issue is he has a big ego and my questions made him feel as if I didn't have faith in him. It was unbelievable. Ultimately I did my best to apologize and do a little ego massage, and he agreed to go ahead. He's a world class surgeon and I couldn't envision setting up my life again for a rescheduled surgery with a different surgeon. My leg is moving well, I am having very little pain and that's without narcotics. I have to keep the leg straight for a few days because he doesn't want to stress the incision. Apparently he had trouble closing the wound.They/I am keeping it elevated and nicely iced, up walking every few hours. Doing really really well. Everything is much much much better than my first knee replacement experience.

I'm sorry that the surgeon took that attitude. The surgeon who did my last hip surgery was a big jerk with a lot of ego. I had to keep reminding myself that he was just there to fix my hip. He's not meant to be my new best friend. I already have plenty of friends. He did a good job with my THR and, in the long term, that's all that really matters.

I'm glad that surgery is behind you now. Best wishes for an easy recovery.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

I'm glad your surgery is done, @maryo52 .

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry that you had that experience with your surgeon. You handled it better then I would have. My surgeon is amazing and I think he did a wonderful job on my knee. Im healing well and my scar looks months old to me not weeks and I am so grateful he has a beautiful bedside manner to match. Now onto healing for you!

I have to pinch myself, things are going so well. Every single thing, big and little, is way better than my original TKA experience. My TKA from 2010 was never right.

This time, PT is gentle, and the instructions say if you get more swelling and pain, ice and elevate. But what's really blowing my mind is how little pain I have. I am only taking tylenol! I have the option for other pain meds but seem to be doing well without them. The one little hitch is the surgeon had difficulty closing the wound, and he wants to give the wound a week to heal and wants me to keep the leg straight for that period. My original implants came out easily (as they were loose), and apparently the patella was rather chewed up from the deformity of the knee caused by the loose components. The surgeon was amazed I was able to walk.

Hello again, Mary, and welcome to recovery. Thank you for starting a recovery thread.

Here's the post-op reading we give to everyone - you'll probably have already read most of it!

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not long and they and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I’m so glad you have a great start! It is very encouraging.

Wow, that sounds wonderful. But,.... just because you think your feeling good, remember that is a brand new baby knee. It needs rest, elevation and ice to keep being happy.

Doctor says I can bend the leg three times a day, morning noon and night. Yes just once each time. The wound needs to heal before much bending so it doesn't open up. They iced me almost every minute I was in bed. I am icing now and will ice & elevate constantly the first week as, again, they stressed doing this and healing before much PT. Love it!!! Feeling great and only using tylenol although I did take 2.5 mg oxycodone at bed time last night. The difference between this surgery and my original TKR is like night and day. Very happy! Two days post op and am smiling and laughing, plus clear headed due to almost no narcotics.

So happy for you!

What a wonderful outcome you are having! Don't worry about not being allowed to bend much yet. I was in an immobilizer twice, once for each knee, for 6 weeks and my bend came back just fine.

Good to know. Although I have a history of arthrofibrosis so bend will be hard to not entirely worry about. However, so far so good.

In the past years, did you feel something in your knee shift with certain movements?

. The wound needs to heal before much bending so it doesn't open up
Bending only once a day is a very different approach. Is there something particular about your incision to make him feel this way? Or is he like this with all his knee replacements?

Cancel that question, I just went back and found this:
The one little hitch is the surgeon had difficulty closing the wound, and he wants to give the wound a week to heal

Hi maryo52. Glad to hear your exprience this time is better. Keep up the positive attitude and take it slow and easy.:)

I am having almost no pain. I got home from a 6 hour drive and was able to get up and fix my coffee and snack (with husband handing me things, and I'm fussy about my coffee). Same with breakfast this morning. I love being clear headed. PT and home nursing visited today. Sun is pouring in through the south facing windows keeping me warm as I ice. The ice machine is on all the time I'm off my feet. Just healing and moving as needed.

and I'm fussy about my coffee).
This is how I feel about my scrambled egg!

So glad things are going so well.

When do you have to go back for a follow up?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom