• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Revision TKR Third Surgery on Right Knee

TKRPAIN

Country
United States United States
I saw my new doctor today for my 6 week follow up since a Revision TKR that was on 10/15/2019, 5 1/2 weeks ago. The surgery was for fixing a problem with a ITBand problem, continued pain on stairs, in bed and driving. Original TKR surgery on 9/22/2016 that resulted with the IT Band issue that would not get better. Then I did the Windowing surgery on that IT band that made it worse. Prior to 10/15/2019, 2 different doctors agreed that my knee was very loose and replacing the spacer with a thicker one seemed to be what was needed. I don’t know if my ITBand is fixed but my knee is tighter which feels good but the ITBand symptoms are still there.

I’m thinking that if this last surgery doesn’t fix it, I’m leaning toward thinking the device is causing my problem. I’m posting a photo my doctor says is my knee in surgery as he was looking at the alignment. Can someone from Staff with Bonesmart tell me if you see anything wrong with the photo? Like, I don’t see the part that attaches to the Tibia. Isn’t the rounded metal part the one attached to the Femor? That metal bar going along the bottom is where the spacer attaches but I would think we should be able to see the metal piece that is attached to. Seems like a lot of loose soft tissue that can be damaged when the knees are bending. What can you see from this photo? Looks like a mess. Lol

Attachments

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I’m posting a photo my doctor says is my knee in surgery as he was looking at the alignment. Can someone from Staff with Bonesmart tell me if you see anything wrong with the photo?
@TKRPAIN - As your surgeon said, that photo was taken during surgery. It's not a mess at all. It's just a surgery that hasn't yet been completed.

Yes, it shows the part that is attached to the femur. The other bit of metal you see is part of the instrumentation used during surgery, to enable the parts to be placed correctly. It isn't inside your knee now. The round, white thing is your kneecap, turned over and pulled out of the way.

No, you can't see the tibia or any of the hardware that is attached to it in this photo, because the surgery hasn't been completed yet and the surgeon isn't working on the tibia. .And the spacer won't have been introduced yet.

All that soft tissue you see will have been retracted to the sides, to make room for the instruments and the knee replacement parts. By the end of surgery, it will all be back in its proper place, stitched back together, if necessary.

What you're seeing is a work-in-progress photo, with the surgery still incomplete. You can't draw any conclusions or make any assumptions from it.

It's only 6 weeks since you had this Revision TKR, far too early to expect great results yet. You need to give it time. Your IT band has been irritated for years and it's not going to settle down in just a few weeks.
Don't be hasty in deciding that something is wrong with the implant. Your knee needs time to heal and to settle down.

Remember that complete recovery from a knee replacement, or a revision, takes a full year.

OP
OP
T

TKRPAIN

Country
Thank you for that great explanation. However, the doc said that he did not remove any parts except the plastic spacer. I would think I should be able to see both metal implants. Maybe this isn’t my photo but it belongs to someone else. At my appointment today, he pulled out his phone, opened his photos and asked me for my phone number to send it to me. Maybe tomorrow, I’ll text him back and double check that it’s my knee in the photo.

Again, the surgery was just to replace the spacer. Both metal implants stayed in place.

I will give it more time as you said and keep up with exercises and icing. Thank you.

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Celle, that was an excellent explanation. Thanks, especially, for pointing out the patella.

TKRPAIN, thanks for sharing that photo!

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Thank you for that great explanation. However, the doc said that he did not remove any parts except the plastic spacer. I would think I should be able to see both metal implants.
On reconsidering, and with your assurance that your surgeon only replaced the spacer, I've had another look at the photo and I have possibly misinterpreted the second piece of metal in it. I apologise if I've made a mistake and misled you initially.

It is probably the top of the tibial implant, seen sideways, with the notched part being the spacer. The notch in the spacer is to accommodate your cruciate ligaments, since the femoral component is the type used for a cruciate-sparing surgery.

If I'm now correct, then your knee is very slightly out of alignment, but I don't think that would be enough to cause a problem.

The photo is probably of your own knee. If you should speak to your surgeon, please ask him his interpretation, as I'm very interested to know if my second explanation is correct.

(@Jockette - please see my second assessment, above.)

I will give it more time as you said and keep up with exercises and icing.
Certainly, give it more time. Don't work too hard at the exercises - you'll get most of the exercise your knee needs, just in your activities of daily living.

OP
OP
T

TKRPAIN

Country
@Jockette - I agree with your revised assessment. I think the camera angle and the alignment of the metal bar in the hands are not aligned correctly. By the feel of my knee, it definitely feels better than the original alignment.

I do have a new question. In my new photo below I highlighted and pulled to the side an enlarged picture of the piece of the femoral metal part. It looks scraped or damaged.

Does that look to be an issue as far as it may wear out the implant sooner? It just doesn’t look good to me. Or is it just a reflection from the shiny metal?

Thank you,
Gary

Attachments

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Jockette - I agree with your revised assessment.
It was Celle, who offered the additional assessment, she’s much more experienced than me. :heehee:

I really think you are seeing a reflection in that circled area, as you can see other things from the room in that area. Who knew our hardware was so shiny as to reflect things like that, even in the middle of surgery!

OP
OP
T

TKRPAIN

Country
Ah ha!! Hee hee! No problem Jockette. Yes, pretty funny to see the operating room in the reflection. You’re probably right about the part I was referring to is a reflection. Ok I’ll give this time to recover. It definitely feels better everyday so I’m feeling positive about it. Thank you, Gary

Lynne Cleveland

Country
Looks like you just had the spacer switched. I just had my revision from a TKR IN 2017. He switched
the spacer for a thicker one. He’s telling me about a 3 week recovery. I’m having a hard time
believing that right now. What are your expectations as far as recovery?

OP
OP
T

TKRPAIN

Country
Hi Lynne,

Yes, My doctor replaced my spacer. It was 10 mm and now it is 13 mm. I just saw him for my 6 week follow up. He said I look great! I said I’m not great! He said I need to give it another 6 weeks. It’s been a bit over 7 weeks. It does feel like it is getting better. I still get pain when driving as it’s my right leg. I think it’s getting better but I still feel a bit reluctant.

How are you doing? Where are you located? I am near Seattle.

I hope you feel better!

looking forward to hearing from you!

gary

Lynne Cleveland

Country
Gary,

My device was from Microport. He told me in the recovery room what size he increased it to but Indont remember. I will see his surgical assistant on Thursday. I don't think this is going to be a 3 week recovery. Using Tramadal
(50 mg) every 4 hours and supplementing with Advil. It's just not taking care of the pain. I have a call in today about changing it to 100 mg. instead. A little
frustrating!

OP
OP
T

TKRPAIN

Country
Hi Lynne,

I’m sorry you are having so much pain. When my doctor did my revision surgery, I was off pain pills by the third week. I only have a small pain when going up stairs and driving but Ive been able to handle it without medication.

I am sorry you are having so much pain. You probably need to ask him what he did in surgery to cause you so much pain. How long has it been since your revision surgery?

Lynne Cleveland

Country
It will be 3 weeks Thursday (11/21) Today has been some better. Maybe it’s the 3 week mark I need to wait on!

OP
OP
T

TKRPAIN

Country
Hi Lynn, I think you will start to feel better beyond the 3 week mark. I was still on a bit of pain at 3 weeks but I could tell I was getting around the corner. I’m at 8 weeks today and do not have any pain at rest or walking. I think I was at this point between 4-6 weeks but can’t remember exact date. My problem is the IT band is still enlarged and hurts a bit going up and down stairs and when driving. I have 4 more weeks to get to 12 weeks out where my doc says I should be all better. I have my reservations about that. Only time will tell. I hope you feel better soon!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
KneedAdvice101
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom