Thinking again on surgery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gretelin

Country
United States United States
Any recommendations on which is the best hip implant?

Not a clue. I have what my OS put in and he told me he's using the same manufacturer but the new and improved model. He's a class act and knows what he's doing so I'm going with his choice. If I remember mine is Stryker and it works.

@Gretelin I think a lot of us focused on finding a very accomplished surgeon and then the surgeon use what he thought best. I am like @Eman85 and have a Stryker for my left hip.. I haven't received my surgical report yet for the right hip but I imagine it's another Stryker. :flwrysmile:

Last edited:
My advice would be to do your research choosing a surgeon based on skill and number of surgeries performed annually, trusting him with the rest.
Following is a BoneSmart Library article that may be of interest.

Wishing you all the best in your decision making.
A great week to you!
@Gretelin

@Gretelin I have interviewed two surgeons and each one used a different type of implant. I thought both were very good surgeons, one used Smith and Nephew and the other, Stryker. I am going with the surgeon who used Stryker, not because of the implant, but because of his assessment of my situation and goals. My surgeon expects my implant to last 35 years.

Thank you,so much Layla and Vslowlife.
I was told that Stryker has a law suit and in metal on metal. I dont know, I have never seen one.

I believe no one is using Metal on Metal anymore in the US. Stryker did have a lawsuit for MOM but that was some six years ago. There has been a recall. If you Google a bit you will learn Stryker was not alone. Other Mfrs were sued too.

Like the others above, I chose the surgeon, not the implant. I found a wonderful, competent surgeon and I trusted his judgment as choosing the right implant for me. Not sure what it is but it works great!

I chose the surgeon and he chose the implant by default. It is the one he uses and is most comfortable with. I have DePuy implants for knees and hip and no issues and great results. Not sure what he will use in Nov.- I will see him pre op at end of month and will ask out of curiosity not that I would change my surgeon. He did my other 3 replacements so I trust him. He has great reputation and does many replacements and has great patient manner. Find a good OS that you like who does a lot of procedures and all will be well.

Thank you,so much Layla and Vslowlife.
I was told that Stryker has a law suit and in metal on metal. I dont know, I have never seen one.

I have no idea about what is best. However, I can share where I am in this process and what I've learned about what will be used for my surgery.

My surgeon will be using a Stryker for my THR. I picked the surgeon and it's what he uses. Ceramic ball and some super plastic liner that moves in the cup and makes the whole thing dual mobility. He's also using a Stryker robotic assist which should result in a precise cup placement and component selection.

I was impressed with the sample and explanation of how my hips are mapped with ct and that info is fed into the robotic assist.

I did look up several of the manufacturer websites. There is interesting information available.

Here are some links:

Your title is thinking again, are you overthinking this? There comes a point where you just have to go ahead and choose an OS and go with your gut feeling. I'm not above walking out of a Dr.'s office and I've fired a few.

@BruceH That was great information to share. I am hoping for the same equipment and procedure in January 2020, too! Hoping to learn my surgical date in the next week or so.
@Gretelin It took me a while to feel comfortable with this, too. After reading and asking questions on Bonesmart, I decided it was best to choose two surgeons and get appointments, because depending on where you live, it can take months to get an appointment and then months to have the surgery. Meanwhile your hip may be getting worse.
I agree with @Eman85, once you start interviewing surgeons, you can decide which is the best fit for you.
There is a bookmark feature on the top of each post, so you can accumulate some information for future reference, if that helps you.
When I chose my surgeon, I was given a thirty page surgical packet and in the packet, it specifically said the surgeon was not using any previously recalled implants. The surgical packet answered more questions.

Yes. I have choosen another surgeon and will go forward with it. I will have prep ops exams all next week. Surgery will be in November. Now Im excited because I dont want to live with pain NO MORE!!

Good luck with all your pre-op exams. I hope it all goes smoothly. I think hospitals have become better about streamlining the pre-op items, so it is not too taxing an experience.

It is very exciting to start the pre op processes and move along to recovery and regaining a pain free life. My hospital pre op was yesterday and Tues it is with my OS and then 11/1 with my PC for the official release for surgery. Soon we will be recovering our lives and ready for adventures without pain.

Yes, true can wait!! finished with all pre ops and the OS visit for measurements. Next week is the big day. Soon, I will be pain free. Doctor tells me today Im going to fix you soon so you and your husband can spread the gospel. We did missionary work
and my husband is a pastor.

:yes!:
Great to hear!

Leejaa keep me post it. Im counting down in less than 48 hrs I will be pain free. I cant wait to start living normal again.Well, you know how it is cant walk always in constabt pain, cant sleep either, but soon real soon with God on my side all this will be gone, just afterwards dealing with post op surgical pains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015