TKR Think Positive

Had staples removed yesterday. A few pinched a little. The nurse put steri strips on. Doctor says all looks good. I have my last home pt today then I go to outpatient pt. I was beat after doctor trip took an oxy and iced and elevated.

It's normal to be exhausted after the busy day you had yesterday. You did just right after getting back home! How are you feeling today?

Another milestone reached with staple removal. I felt so much better with them gone. Our bodies get exhausted easily after surgery and it takes a while to regain that energy. Resting and icing is awesome and a nap. Keep listening to your body and rest as needed.

I just removed steri strips after 10 days How do I clean the glue off and should it be covered?
I started out patient pt I have gone twice Really sore after and next day Not sure if I want to keep going Now both knees hurt

Mine was not covered as you want it to keep dry and did not bother me. How often are you going to PT and how much are they having you do for exercises? Slow and steady works better than trying to be forceful and pushing this early. Are you continuing to ice and elevate and especially after PT?

I did not do any PT for my second knee after home PT ended which was very minimal. I walked and rode my stationary recumbent exercise bike (starting with no tension but just for the movement) starting with only a few minutes and very slowly adding time and a bit of tension as my knee recovered.

I did do OP PT with the first knee but again it was very light and progressive movements. You should not be hurting for two days after PT. I actually took ice with me for the ride to PT and they would ice it at tend of exercises.

Many people have chosen not to do any formal PT post replacements and they have done well.

Well I quit therapy today she hurt me so bad she kept pushing and shoving my knee I told her to stop and she said I had to push thru pain I finally sat up and told her to stop I left It has been 3 hours and my knee is still hurting I'm icing and I took an oxy but it still hurts

I’m sorry your PT hurt you, you don’t need that kind of PT. :console2:

You will be fine doing your own rehab, on your own, at your pace.

Good for you. You do not push through pain on a newly operated knee. I hope you are elevating and icing and resting. After that it might take a few days to get the knee to settle down. I hope your evening is peaceful.

Do not go back to that therapist. She has no idea how to rehab a joint replacement. What she did to you was abuse. That is against the law. If you want to continue PT go someplace else. Discuss with them first what their treatment plan is for you and make it plain in no uncertain terms that you will not allow any pain. The best for you to tell them is hands-off. All that pushing just causes a setback in your recovery. Gentle movements is all your knee needs to recover.

I hate hearing this "push through the pain" nonsense your PT was giving you. And she shouldn't have been pushing on your leg. My philosophy was to try to bend (it wasn't going to be comfortable) but not to the point of major pain. And no "cranking" on the leg--One of my PTs put it that way. "I won't crank on your leg." Good! There is a technique where they do handle your leg a bit, but no cranking. ;)

Also a swollen knee isn't going to bend beyond what the swelling lets it do.

Give your knee a rest this weekend. If you go back to PT, I'd say schedule with a different PT and first thing say no pushing on your leg.

At 7 weeks, I can get up from a chair normally without using the arms of the chair. But early on, I needed to use the chair arms. And I found that if I spread my feet far apart and bent forward at the waist then stood up, I could stand up easier. It didn’t look pretty but it worked. I don’t have to do that now though.

I used the arms of the chair. If it didn't have arms, I used the seat of the chair to push up on.

This early I always used the chairs of arms, seat or if there was something in front of me like the table, I would grab the table for balance. Early days still. Slow and steady and you will get there.

Mrs. Ciz -which knee did you Have replaced?

@Reh3
I had bilateral TKR on July 6th. It has been rough. I’m 11 weeks post op today and go back to work (teaching middle school) next week. Sleep is still hard - so hard to get comfy and stay comfy. Walking is getting easier. I’m tracking my steps each day. I feel ok with about 6000 to 7000 steps a day. I have 5 more PT sessions left. I can go up stairs normally, but going down normally is harder. I can do it if I’m not sore and I can go slowly. I can’t ride my bike yet, but I can ride both the easy and the hard recumbent bikes at PT. I also was able to give up the raised toilet seat last week! Wooohoooo!!!!

I saw doctor for my 12 week check Bend is very good I have to work on extension Some soft tissue issues I need to massage back of knee She said to use a rolling pin or a tennis ball and put heat on back of knee
I scheduled surgery for left knee Doctor was kind of surprised that I was ready I just want all this over with and I want to get rid of all knee stuff (walker ,shower chair, ice machine etc.) I didn't want to put it all away and then drag it out again My LKTR is set for Nov 16 if it doesn't get canceled due to Covid I was cancelled 3 times before I got right knee done

I am in the same boat as you with my right knee. I had BTKR on July 6th. I’ve had tight hamstring issues in the right leg, which are affecting my extension in that leg and making me limp. I stretch it out multiple times a day. Thanks for the tip about the rolling pin. I’m going to try it. I also ordered a bike trainer stand yesterday so I can work on ROM on my bike. I can’t make the pedals go all the way around yet, but I’m going to work on it!!!

Now that right knee is done I'm getting ready for LKTR on Nov 16 Blood test Mon Covid test Wed and then I wait I'm not as nervous this time because I know what to expect I hope things go as well as they did on right knee I'm 15 weeks out on right knee Still some sleeping problems but everything else is moving along

Best wishes for your second knee!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mtcwp
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom