Think it’s time for a new knee

Arlene56

senior
Country
United States United States
Hello:
I’m a 58yr old female who had a THR almost 3 yrs ago. It was a piece of cake. Between my THR 3 years ago, I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Ovarian Cancer. Thank the Lord I am still clear. When I was undergoing chemo, most of the pain from chemo centered in my knees. A very deep bone ache. I am wondering if chemo contributed to that fast track of decline of knee.

Now I have been having problems with my knee. My Dr said it’s Degenerative Arthritis. The only thing that will work is a TKR. I had a cortisone shot about 5wks ago. That helped with inflammation and pain. Dr suggested some sort of shot to help lubricate knee but unfortunately our insurance does not cover those types of shots.

I have always been very active, walking 4-5 miles per day, strength training, bike riding and Pilates. I can only walk about 1 mile b4 I’m in some pain. I work in the school system so I am on my feet a good part of the day.

I am rather fearful of having this surgery for a number of reasons. One being (which I confirmed with Oncologist would not happen) that surgery would be disrupted to my body and maybe awake some cancer cells. It probably sounds like a weird thought, but just a few months after THR, my cancer was diagnosed. So that’s in the back of my mind.

I just want my life back to what it was just 2 months ago. This sedentary lifestyle is not working for me.

I have an appointment with the Dr Dec 4th and will see when I can get this taken care of.

Thanks for listening/reading

Arlene56,
Welcome back to BoneSmart!
Sorry to hear you are having difficulties with your knees.
Here is a helpful link about surgeons and prosthesis.
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
Keep us posted on how your OS appointment goes.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

About 5 years before my knee replacement almost 2 years ago, I started physical therapy. I believe that I delayed the need for replacement. I know that my knee was stronger when I finally went through with surgery and think that helped my recovery. Good luck!

@Arlene56 I remember you from your THR. Welcome back! So sorry you had to deal with the cancer. Of course you are worried. But we have many cancer survivors on this forum who have had multiple joints replaced. Trust your Oncologist and find yourself an excellent surgeon. You need to get back to living again! We will be with you through this journey as always.

Hello again! Well, I haven’t had knee pain in 5 days. Am rethinking my upcoming surgery. I was able to take a cycle class yesterday, albeit hardly any resistance and did not get out of seat. I went 30 minutes. Did some weight training, no squats. Being very protective of knees.

So not sure what to do. If I was in a lot of pain when walking in a consistent basis, I would proceed.

What do you all think? I knew it was time with my hip, not so sure with knee at this time.

Thanks for reading!!

Well the decision is yours of course but you do know that your knees will not get better and indeed can get a whole lot worse very quickly. Why wait - get that knee replaced and get on with living. Having to protect you knees means you are not living to the fullest.

I remember my knee pain very well. When my knee doctor told me my knees both needed to be replaced because they were bone-on-bone, I balked. My knees hurt only sometimes, and other times they didn’t hurt at all, maybe not for weeks. So I didn’t get surgery right away. I waited. Because who wants surgery, right?

What happened was my knees kept getting worse... and the pain stopped being good days/weeks and bad days/weeks. The pain became bad all the time. I tried everything, including those shots, two sets of them. But the pain reached the point NOTHING helped. Even painkillers when I had my own cancer surgery (hysterectomy) didn’t get rid of the knee pain. So healed up from that and then had the knees done.

Best thing I ever did! First, the pain was gone. Gone. All gone. There was surgical pain, but the knee pain was gone, and that in itself was a wonder. And then surgical pain got better and better until it too was gone. I can walk again, and go up and down stairs normally, and dance, and play with my grandchildren. Bike. It’s wonderful. Kind of amazing, too, because I’d literally forgotten what having fully functional, pain-free knees could be like.

You can wait, of course. Many people do, and I was one of them. But having traveled that road, I wish I’d gotten my knees replaced much sooner.

Last edited:
@SusieShoes - thanks for your response. Maybe I will go ahead and get it done. Getting the inevitable out of the way.
What kind of cancer did you have, if I can ask? I had Stage 1 Ovarian. I’m thinking I may have a CT scan done prior to TKR yo make sure I’m still clear.
Thanks again for your advice!

@Jaycey - thanks for advice. Probably just going to get it done before it gets worse and other problems could arise.

Mine was endometrial cancer, Stage 1, least invasive type of cell and lowest risk of spread. Caught super-early when it was endometrium only, and surgery removed it all. I didn’t need radiation or chemo. I was fortunate to have an on-the-ball gynecologist who insisted on following up on something she suspected that I thought was a complete waste of time/money. Boy, was I wrong! :doh:

You may find that your knees, or maybe your brain, are fickle. A week before surgery, my knees, which had been horribly painful for a year or two, decided they didn’t hurt all that much anymore. Not completely pain-free (no longer possible for them) but much better! Like maybe I don’t need to cut them out better. Complete fake-out. I didn’t listen to them. But you will read many other people will say the same thing happens to them pre-op.

I agree with SusieShoes. Those knees are sneaky! They stop hurting before surgery. Don't believe them. Once you cancel surgery (if you do) they will start hurting again, worse than ever!

My left knee did that to me. I was convinced that I was jumping the gun and having the surgery too soon. However, my surgeon had told me it was time for a replacement. Fortunately, I believed him, because he said that during surgery he found that my knee was, indeed, ready for surgery and it would have gone downhill fast if I had postponed the surgery.

Hello~I’ve decided to postpone knee replacement. My knee has improved a bit. Not nearly as bad as a few months ago. I can walk 3-4 miles without it hurting and spin class. So I’m going to wait hopefully another year. We shall see.
Still going to read about everyone’s recovery. I’m sure, without a doubt, you will see me post.
Good luck friends!!

Best wishes as you go forward without surgery at the moment. It’s a personal decision and a big one and you know your body. You’ll know when it’s time.

@Jockette-hello-you are right that I will know when to have surgery. I knew with my hip.
Is there a certain time during the year that is best for surgery?

I had an October replacement. Mid to late fall seemed perfect. The days are shorter and cooler. By the time I felt half way decent it was springtime! @Arlene56 it is a personal decision, if I could of walked 3-4 miles , I would of put it off as well. Good luck to you!

:) :-) (:Best wishes Arlene56 !:fingersx:

Is there a certain time during the year that is best for surgery?
I think that’s pretty personal, too, depending on what’s going on in your life and your preferences.

I had mine done in March. I live in Delaware, so not a super cold area, but it was plenty cold enough for those out patient PT appointments in the early days when I was moving slow and wearing shorts!

I’m thinking, for me, late April or May might be nice. By the time I feel up to walking a bit outside, the weather should be nice and warm.

Personally I wouldn’t want to have it done anywhere near before Christmas time as that’s just a busy time.

Although @Mutti3 was real happy with October. My recovery from this one was difficult and what I thought was slow (though I learned it was normal) and I would not have handled Christmas time well at 2 months post op.

So, it’s all very individual. My uncle always says, that’s why there’s chocolate and vanilla!

@Jockette . Very interesting how where you live has a influence on the month you choose! Late April, first week of May is Kentucky Derby! :horseriding:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads