• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[BILATERAL THRs] Thing 1 and Thing2'

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Hahaha!
Love both your recovery thread title Thing 1 and Thing 2, as well as your friends comment.
Make sure you don't miss that 5:45 alarm.
Best wishes for all! @Berber7227

BeBe

graduate
Country
Hahahahaha! Too cute! praying for everything to go smooth for you and I am counting on you to give us all the blow by blow in a day or three!

djklaugh

post-grad
Country
@Berber7227 Great names for your shiny new hips! I named mine Hunky and Dory :) nope surgeon will know exactly what to do ..... pre-op nurses though may come toward you with a marker pen asking which hip is being done ..... note their amazed and/or confused reaction when you tell them "both".

Pumpkln

Country
Berber7227,
Good luck tomorrow!

Here is your copy of the recovery guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

OP
OP
Berber7227

Berber7227

senior
Country
Had 2 hour surgery. Was in my room by 10:30. No Pain!!! Muscles are on fire. Started with my butt, moved to thighs. I have been walking, said no to stairs! Just a bit too sore. Because I had both hips done, spending the night!

Gretel

graduate
Country
Australia Australia
Wow sounds like you’re doing great! Rest well. I’d be saying no to steps at this stage too!

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
:wowspring:You sound great!
:welome: to the good side.

Hope you get the pain under control and have a good night.
Healing thoughts coming your way.... @Berber7227

OP
OP
Berber7227

Berber7227

senior
Country
@djklaugh Dr signed both! I asked which one he would start with (thing 1). He asked which hurts worst, does that hip, in case something happens, the worst one is done.

djklaugh

post-grad
Country
@Berber7227 :wowspring: :flwrysmile: :cheers2: Excellent to hear you are through your surgery and doing OK - enjoy the TV treat and the good care I hope you get. Healing vibes being sent to you :loveshwr:

djklaugh

post-grad
Country
LOL @Berber7227 I remember that from my BTHR! My HMO was not doing many bilaterals at that time so it seemed like every person associated with orthopedics - PT, OT, nurses, doctors (even ones not associated with my care) had too come in and take a look. We are a special group! Yeah charge admission - either $$ or favorite treats ;)

Top Bottom