BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Thin bones and TKR

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by ApricotPie, Jun 7, 2019.

1. ApricotPie

ApricotPie member

United States United States
    My doctor thinks I might have 'thin' bones and I am scheduled for a Dexa scan soon to find out if I do or don't have them. I was a big surprised as I consume a lot of dairy products and despite several falls over the past few years I have never broken anything.

Has anybody else had a TKR and with thin bones? How did it turn out?

2. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Did he mention osteoporosis, because that's what's generally meant and why they do Dexa bone density scans.

But don't worry. IF you have this, it's good that he knows about it but I've helped operate on scores of people with osteoporosis and it never caused us (the surgical team) any problems whatsoever.

I trust he will be using cement implants rather than uncemented? If he is going for the latter, I suggest you tell him (not meekly suggest!) that you'd sooner he used cemented ones.

3. DEL2019Aug-6

DEL2019Aug-6 junior member

They have a longer implant that gets seated deeper in your bone for patients with serious bone thinning/soft bones. My surgeon noticed that my bones were a little soft for my age but not soft enough to require the longer implant. I had a bone scan done, I have mild osteopenia. Weight bearing exercises are your bones friend. Diet is important but muscles hugging your bones are what make them stronger.

4. ApricotPie

ApricotPie member

United States United States
    Thanks for the information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk