THR Thigh pain at front, 4 weeks after THR

Maldugs

Country
Australia Australia
Hi I had a THR 4 weeks ago, doing all the exercises the physio gave me, last week was walking around unaided and feeling pretty good, then I developed front thigh pain, which has stopped me walking unaided, and I am back on one crutch, any ideas?

Regards Mal.

Hello @Maldugs - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your hip replacement and which hip it is, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately in the future.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

It sounds as if you might have been doing a bit too many of the exercises. Hips actually don't need a lot of exercises to recover. They will do it themselves if you let them.

This is a case of "just because you can do the exercises doesn't mean you should."
Your therapist has given you the exercises because that's what he/she was trained to do, but your leg is telling you, loud and clear, that it needs more rest, so it can heal.

So, for now, I suggest you stop the exercises and just let your Activities of Daily Living by your exercising.

Here are some recovery guidelines, tohelp you with your recovery:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

August 12: Post edited, to comment that I should have asked for the date of your hip replacement, not knee replacement. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Hi, I had a total Left hip replacement, on 14th of July

Mal.

@Maldugs I created a signature for you.

What exercises are you doing - and how many reps, how often during the day. Sounds like you may have overdone the PT. Easy mistake to make. But as Celle pointed out, hips really don't need all that. You aren't in training, you are healing.

@Maldugs, my right THR was July 15 and started pt on the 17th. Way way way over did it and am now battling my quad muscles as well as glutes and calfs. Muscles were all over worked at PT. One size does not fit all and I wish I had found this site prior to surgery. now I am 4 weeks post-op and still need cane and spend most of my time in bed icing and resting with short 5 to 10 minute walks around the house a few times a day. This is a very frustrating situation for me and I am at a loss as to how to get through it. im telling you this so you stop the PT and just rest if you are having any pain.

You are early on in recovery and pain can move around as you recover. Mine did. Had it in butt, thigh,quad and even a little in calf. 6 plus weeks out now hardly know hip was ever replaced. Non aggressive Pt, ie walking, is pretty much your go to exercise this early on in recovery.

Did you use any heat on the quad or glutes for pain or just ice? I am trying to release the muscle tension caused by over working. Going to try a TENS machine also when it arrives. Maybe massage also. I am trying to find all my options.

Have done all the exercises they gave me at the hospital, 10 of them, 3 times a day 10 times each, so think this was the result, have stopped them and hope things improve soon.

Have done all the exercises they gave me at the hospital, 10 of them, 3 times a day 10 times each, so think this was the result,
Far too many exercises. I agree that they are the probable cause.

Your hip will get all the exercise it needs, just through your normal Activities of Daily Living (ADLs).

I’m 6 weeks out and there’s still soreness traveling all over. The more I heal the more aware I am as to how weak my leg became. Last week was the first time in three years that I was able to put on my pants standing up. That was quite an accomplishment. Lol. The leg raises and basic exercises the clinic provided to me have become fairly easy to do. Yet every few days they’re not. The inflammation and soreness returns. This little adventure takes time.

Today I am quite sore down the side of my thigh muscle, can't walk without the crutch, getting a bit concerned

:wave:
I'm sorry you are worrying, but I do agree with the others that you may have hit the Overdid It Club and this can certainly take some serious rest to get out of it...more than a day or two.
Do you have a follow up appointment soon with your OS?

I had one at one month and got some reassuring x-rays.

Hope you are still icing and elevating...it is likely just soft tissue still healing and aggravated by the exercises.

Just walking really IS all that is necessary at this point and lots of ice will hopefully get you back on track.
Healing mojo coming your way.:flwrysmile:

Hi @Maldugs
We pretty much agree you overdid it. I’m sorry you’re hurting. Following the advice you’ve received so far should get you back on track. Please give icing a dedicated try. Ice several times per day, target at least 4x daily, ice for 45-60 minutes, no less, each time you ice. Always make sure to place fabric between your skin and the ice source. You will slowly begin to notice improvement with ice and rest.
Wishing you comfort and a great end to the week. :wave:

Well today, I am not so bad, but have soreness on the outside of my hip, still walking with one crutch, I guess at my age (80) you are going to take a bit more time, but being new to this can't understand, why I could walk ok without the crutch last week, am talking to the physio tomorrow.:wave:

It's only been just over a month since you had this major surgery, @Maldugs . There's nothing wrong with still needing to use a crutch. After all, complete recovery from this surgery can take as long as a full year, or sometimes even longer.

You aren't behind and you aren't having a recovery that's slower than normal. It's just that probably no one warned you that you are in for the long haul.
This recovery is a marathon, not a sprint, I'm afraid.

@Maldugs Can I ask are you doing bridges and clamshell exercises as part of PT? If so, new hips hate these exercises. Bridges and clamshell exercises are for building core stability. They really do nothing for a new hip - except cause all kinds of aches and pains. You are not in training. Please rest, ice and elevate to get this pain under control.

but being new to this can't understand, why I could walk ok without the crutch last week, am talking to the physio tomorrow.
It can be confusing but it is part of recovery and recovery is not always a straight progression. The hip and leg get tired as do our bodies and we need extra support. This is all normal. Use the support when needed so you can walk properly. There is no timeline when to give up walking aids like canes/crutches. Use whatever you need to maintain a safe and steady recovery. You are doing very well for so early in the recovery journey. I used a walker for quite a long time and then a cane till I was 8 wks post op. After that I would take the cane if I was having a particularly tiring day or was in a store.

@Maldugs sounds to me like you are doing REALLY well What do you want to bet, that you walked slightly exuberantly without the crutch last week and are having paybacks now. Sometimes it takes a few days for your hip to decide you overdid it.

Are you still icing? I (literally, if my pockets were in the right place) wore ice 24/7 for a month, except for showers and the like. After that, I made sure to ice if I had to sit for longer than about 15 minutes, or drove/rode in the car any distance, or if I could, after a walk. I was still taking non-narcotic pain meds after the 4-6 week mark, as well.

I hope your physio is the kind who's reassuring, and won't add anothe half hour of (unnecessary!) exercises to your regular ADL's.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back