BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

The waiting is finally over

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by rbabycks, Jan 13, 2018.

1. rbabycks

rbabycks TKR January 25, 2018

United States United States
    when I found this site I had many questions. I have read so many pre-op and post-op concerns,questions, whether to do the PT or not. My TKR date is January 25,18. Less than 2 weeks. The anticipation has had me feeling like a roller coaster. I’ve had all my blood work done, EKG, chest x-ray. I have even gone through 21/2 months of allergy tests as well as nickel which is the cobalt and alloy in the prosthetic but I did find out I came in contact with a low grade nickel years ago. This a much higher grade of material. After two months of allergy tests and many injections, I now know all of my allergies which are finally controlled.i definitely am nervous about this upcoming surgery but I have been in so much pain for years. I am ready to get back to life. My husband and I meet with the surgeon next Wednesday to discuss the procedure and at that time he will explain the surgery. My husband and I participated in 2 seminars which were very informative and helpful. I wish these seminars had been around years ago. They help prepare you mind and body wise. I believe I have done all my homework and research to prepare me this TKR. I’m hoping my hospital stay will be short, no more than 2-3 days. I have read and researched enough I hope that I know when enough is enough as far as PT is concerned. I have heard many horror stories which has made me apprehensive on doing this but, I have heard some really good success stories which is what I’m hoping for. I have complete confidence in my surgeon. He seems to be extremely knowledgeable many years experience. Now I’m going to put my knee in his hands I’m looking for a good outcome. Depending on how I’m doing after surgery or the day after hopefully I will be able to add an update. I guess time will tell. Good luck to those with upcoming TKRs and all the best for those post-op.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

You certainly have done a great job of prepping for this life-changing event. You are ready!!! I wish you all the best and will look forward to your first post from recovery. Your new life is coming....and soon.:thumb:

3. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm glad you feel so prepared for your TKR, @rbabycks .

Have you joined the January Jackpots monthly group yet?
    Just post your surgery date in the 2018 January Jackpots - Are you having knee surgery in January?
    thread at the top of the Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area page and you'll be added to the list.
    It's a good idea to get to know your fellow BoneSmarties who will be getting new joints this month. We've found that it helps to have a group of folks who are going through surgery and do it as a team....helping and supporting each other.

4. jboles

jboles graduate

You do sound very prepared. I also have metal allergies and did lots of research and testing to find the most appropriate replacement. I had the first knee done 6 months ago and am getting ready to have the other one done in 2 days.

5. rbabycks

Everything done, all bloodwork, pre-op. Ready for next Thursday 1/25/18 surgery scheduled for10:00AM. Had pondered on having a regional thinking it would be a better way to go than general anesthesia. But, after speaking with the DR and PA, I would be aware of what’s going on around me. Even though I’d be sedated,I would hear the DRs talking ,that wouldn’t be the worst part. The worst part would being able to hear the saw a and other machines which could definitely upset me. I do not want the after effect of the general anesthesia,i.e. nausea which I’ve had medication for nausea which has helped the last three surgeries. I don’t like waking confused, recovery takes a bit longer, but I do not want to know anything going on in the operating room. I still have the option the day of surgery but the day of surgery I’ll will be very nervous and not alert enough to remember everything. I’ll mainly be ready to get it done and over with and begin healing. I understand three weeks of in home therapy 3x week for 3 weeks then my follow up, then to out patient PT. Hopefully by 6 weeks after surgery I hope to be up and around maybe not great but good would be nice. I planned a spa day next Wednesday, my hair stylist is going to pamper me with French mani/ pedi and hair done. At least I’ll feel better going in. I’m as ready as I can be. Hopefully the weather will be better by next Thursday. Bracing for snow today. Last week was 10” hopefully on 1-3” this time. Definitely not a fan of snow or cold. There’s my rant for the day. Thanks to anyone listening. I’m sure I’ll have more to vent about post op.

6. bottomshollow

bottomshollow ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

moved 5.jpg @rbabycks, from the January surgery list thread into your own thread where you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

7. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Most people who have a spinal also have sedation that makes them sleep through the operation. They are not aware of what is going on unless they ask the anaesthetist to let them be aware.

8. rbabycks

I have always had general anesthesia when I’ve had surgery. I know I will not know what’s going on verses a regional there’s a possibility of it not taking at that point I would have to have general anesthesia. I definitely do not want to be half way through surgery and the possibility of hearing machines and saws. I’ve been given nausea meds plus a patch before anesthesia. The last three surgeries the nausea has not been to bad. I think I’m more concerned about the level of pain afterwards. It shouldn’t be more than a four. I know as long as I don’t try to brave the pain and take pain meds every 4 hrs hopefully pain will be minimal. One week from today I’ll be about ready for surgery, surgery is at 10:00AM. Hopefully around noon or early afternoon it will all be over but the healing. The waiting is the worst part. But as long as I’ve waited one more week will definitely go by quick. Hoping I will feel well enough to update while in the hospital. If not I’m sure I’ll have lots of time once I come home. That will be the best part, home, rest and regular food. Hospitals are the last place to sleep or get a good home cooked meal. “No green jello “ Thanks to all for the wonderful support so far. I’m sure I’ll learn a lot more after next Thursday.