The Waiting Game

It is miserable waiting. I have collected a few different ice packs from the pharmacy and home health over the years. I find I like a bigger square ish one to sit one, longer ones for both sides of thigh and knee if needed. We found one today in my collection that is quite long and tubular and fits nicely in the thigh crease and into the groin. Ice irritated me pre-op an although it didn't help the pain, I liked heat for the soothing.

I bought 2 gel packs on Amazon and then in hospital they had several they used just for me and they gave them to me to take home so I ended up with 4 I think which was a good number since I always had one or two frozen ones ready to use. I used ice almost all day those first couple of weeks. I sometimes took an ice pack to bed early on but did not replace it during the night.

As far as your chair/couch, you could always check a nearby thrift store or even Craig’s List to look for something you feel will work. Our couch has the option to raise the footrest that can be put up plus the sit can recline so that is where I spent my days. Many others swear by a recliner and some even sleep in them for the first days or even weeks. My only thought on where you sit is that if it is fairly low, it will be rather difficult to get in and out of for a while. Some on here have even needed their spouse to lift them out of their chair or off the couch because it was too low. It is nice to have a good place to sit where you can also nap because you will need extra rest those first few weeks.

I’m sure looking ahead it seems like a long wait but it will go by sooner than you think. Sending good wishes your way....

Hi @Elf1 Thought I'd check in to see how you were doing today with the waiting game. When I went to my OS to schedule my RTHR and his schedule was 2 months out, I was disappointed. But that particular day, my hip seemed to be great and really no pain to speak of so. It didn't sink in how long that wait would really be. But typical of hips, the pain was back full force the next day. I was pretty much just hobbling through my days waiting but I didn't have a 45 minute drive to work either......that sounds horrendous! Hopefully your weather will be decent for the weekend and you're able to rest in comfort. It will be nice to see you on the other side soon when your recovery begins! :flwrysmile:

@SE Florida I'm hanging in there. Pain is staying around just to make sure I remember that I need this surgery, actually had a small reprieve a while back and started doubting. Yeah, not anymore!

@julesglass and @SarahBee I had read that as well, even saw something on Amazon that you buy to put under the legs. The cats would really love that, could find all their lost toys! I think I'm going to be ok with our one easy chair, it comes up to about the back of my knees so should be good and I saw something you can buy to put under the cushions that gives you a place to pull yourself up. Wanted to show my husband and see what he thinks.

Was just telling my husband (he called to check on me at work) about all you fine folks and what a help you have been with giving me good information and helping keep me sane so far. He's really glad I have someplace to go and find things out since this is the first time for this. Kind of went into the back surgery totally blind.

Hope everyone has a great, pain free Easter Weekend!

:loveshwr:

Hi Elf1! Ahh, the waiting game.. and here I am, doing it for the second time! Except this time I know what to expect. I will say to you, there are several friends that I've kept in touch with off of this site over the years, and it all came from "the wait". :roseshwr: I've got about ten weeks to go.. hoping it's another time of good memories for me.

I see you lurking...and I'm sorry you are still waiting for your surgery...but you will have such a tremendous support system and oh my stars...will you feel ten years younger.
I remember months on the heating pad and praying for a good nights sleep!
Your time is coming and the rest of the summer will be getting Better!

Last edited:
Hello @Elf1 Just wanted to chime in that this community has been wonderful. I have learned so much since joining. It’s also invaluable to share the journey. Many a day a kind word here was exactly what I needed. Hope your pain stays manageable.

Hi @Elf1
I hope you had a nice weekend and some pain free moments.
In hindsight I wish I became a member sooner, like you, rather than the night before my surgery. I was a lurker for quite some time but the biggest scaredy cat of all. All I ever did was peruse the line up looking for thread titles that might help me become less fearful about it all. Your involvement is teaching you a lot about recovery and I'm sure it's being reinforced that most often our pre op anxiety and fears were all in vain.

I hope the next two months move quickly. I had my surgery at the end of June, just as you are and aside from some dreadfully hot, humid days where I stayed indoors with the AC, it was a great time of year for recovery. I live way up North though where we spend more time indoors than other parts of the country due to frigid temps and icy slippery pavements for several months of the year.

I'll bet your going to be the most organized hippie. Lots of time to research and prep which will make it all run smoother for you.

Wishing you a warm sunny week and loads of comfort as you await your big day!

Thanks everyone for checking in on me and all the kind words. Means a lot right now and has really helped with my fears.

Hoping the next two months go quick as well as I'm about ready to go after this hip with a chain saw! :oyvey:

You would think with all this time that I would be super prepared by the time surgery hits but I already know that is not going to happen. Unfortunately am still working full time, add in the 45 minute commute each way, barring any military convoys or herds of cattle blocking the roads. (I work on a military installation and travel across it to get to work daily.) By the time I get home I do a couple of things like tend to the cats, get something ready to wear to work tomorrow, etc and then I'm ready to pretty much fall down. House looks like a tornado went through it. And to make matters worse my husband, up until now, has been working in another part of the state and has only been coming home on weekends so that adds to clutter. Hopefully now that he's back home full time we can get caught up on some of this stuff. I did clean some stuff out of one of my closets yesterday so I can pull things to the front that I'll probably being wanting to wear during recovery, now have to work on the dressers. :) :-) (:

Hope everyone had a great weekend, the weather was awesome here, wish I could share with those that got snow this past weekend!
:holysheep:

It is very hard to deal with the hip and work. I had to deal with this when I had my first hip done and it was a struggle as it takes such a toll on your energy level. Just try to prioritize as to what really needs to be done before surgery so you are set for recovery and try not to worry too much about the rest. I eliminated enough clutter so that I could safely maneuver where I needed to travel in the house and made sure that I had plenty of staples in the house so that my husband did not have to do any major shopping. Once recovered, you can always catch up on the rest and do it without pain.

So glad your husband is home, it will be nice for you to have him close. You are working and the long drive. I'm retired, just went out with my husband and cane, to get my mom a mother's day card and bestie a bday card. Felt so tired after. You are super woman! You should have a great recovery....:wow:

:hi:Ready made cheering squad and fan club ...for You when you start your Recovery Road!
Hip pain is the worst!:blackcloud:
Hang in there friend!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mtcwp
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom