The Waiting Game

Elf1

Staff member since October 2019
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
Morning all, so glad to have found this site and all of you, has helped me with my decision making a lot. Looking at a Right THR, have not gotten the surgery scheduled yet, will put in my signature once I get a call back from the OS office. Called them yesterday but got the schedulers voicemail and haven't heard back. Trying to be patient, not always good at that.

Been reading as much as I can here on what I need for recovery and such. Will have to figure out something for a chair as our furniture tends to be overstuffed and lower. Feel better after reading all the different posts but still scared to death. Not sure why this bothers me as bad as it is, had fusion of my L5/S1 back in November 2015 and didn't really bat too much of an eyelash.

Thanks for listening and sharing your stories, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I go along. :scaredycat:

I'm glad to see you started a thread. I understand the fear, but THR is probably less risky than the surgery you've already had.

As for a chair, I found a matching pair of fairly upright armchairs at a used furniture shop. That might be an option for you.

Hang in there - once you have a surgery date, it's relatively easy. You'll get plenty of guidance from your OS and from your family here.

Last edited:
Welcome @Elf1 The waiting is difficult at times but then, suddenly the day is here. I'm on my first day after surgery and truly wish I had not waited so long. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have done it years ago.

Find a surgeon you trust! You don:t have to like him. Make he preparations you can while you can so you can pace yourself. I found my energy lagging as I got closer to the time.

Wishing you well! And we are all right here!

Not sure why this bothers me as bad as it is, had fusion of my L5/S1 back in November 2015 and didn't really bat too much of an eyelash.
My friend if you have had spinal fusion your THR will be a walk in the park. I had spinal decompression and that recovery was very complex. THR is far more straight forward.

Stick with us - we will be with you all the way.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and good wishes. Just got off the phone with the scheduler and she has me coming in to see the OS again to finalize details on 23 May and tentative surgery date of 24 Jun. We're starting to get serious here. I sure hope this goes as well as my back did, once I quit using the crappy pain meds they gave me and used my regular ones I was great! Could actually function and get on with healing. I've been looking online (Amazon) at some different ideas for cushions, think my chair can be adapted to work. Now to get the cats inline for this surgery! :catbutterfly:

I hope time goes quickly for you. I think I am still a day or two away from being really happy I did this but I know that will come. In many ways I already am because I am moving forward with recovery now. Still so early in my recovery that my discomfort is making joy foggy but better than still waiting to get started.

Pillows, extra ones in the bed. You can get pretty comfy with pillows to help support you in the position that is relaxing. Pillows in your chair. I liked one on the arm positioned on surgery side. Helped to keep dog at safe descent.

I remember when I got my date it was 8+weeks. Tomorrow it will be just one! It's been a wait that's for sure, lots of time to think about what's to come, for better or worse. One thing for sure is the time will go by and before you know it you'll be there!.

I know one of the things we all worry about for after surgery is dislocation. The OS commented in our previous office call that since I have had back surgery (L5/S1 fusion) that I was at a higher risk of dislocation. Has anyone else out there had back surgery prior to THR and did it cause any additional problems or restrictions that you're aware of? I see him again towards end of May and plan to talk to him a bit more in-depth about this. I know he had them take additional xrays of my back before I left. I'm assuming it was maybe so he has a better idea of how best to put in my replacements. Kind of curious. Thanks.

I've had two back surgeries and no added complications/risks were mentioned at all. The only time it was mentioned was in reference to the spinal. Apparently it can sometimes make the spinal insertion a little more difficult. They did x-ray my back at my pre-op to make sure they had recent pictures because I have a current bulge but in the end it all went very smoothly.

I know one of the things we all worry about for after surgery is dislocation. The OS commented in our previous office call that since I have had back surgery (L5/S1 fusion) that I was at a higher risk of dislocation. Has anyone else out there had back surgery prior to THR and did it cause any additional problems or restrictions that you're aware of? I see him again towards end of May and plan to talk to him a bit more in-depth about this. I know he had them take additional xrays of my back before I left. I'm assuming it was maybe so he has a better idea of how best to put in my replacements. Kind of curious. Thanks.

I know it's easy to say, but truly... It's not gonna be nearly as bad as you're thinking. I have not had back surgery but I do have scoliosis from arthritis. With the newer implants dislocation isn't the big issue it used to be. Your hip is gonna tell you when you move in a way it doesn't like. If it hurts, don't do it.

How are things with you holding up? Coming up to 2 months out now! Hopefully pain isn't too intense so you can rest. :)

@Carriemay60 thanks for checking in on me. Reading everyone's recovery threads is the only thing keeping me sane and the nerves at bay while I wait. Today has been a bad day, worked from home as I just couldn't drag myself out to do the 45 minute drive. We're expecting some possibly severe spring storms this evening so I'm sure it's adding to my discomfort. Pain is all the way down right leg to foot and is even in the back, haven't had a lot of pain there since back surgery. I just have to remember, this is temporary and the surgery will out me back in control of living life on my terms. Y'all are a Godsend!

What kind of gel cold packs is everyone finding to be helpful?
:ice:

@Elf1 , we were given a "recipe" in our pre op class and my husband made some up for me. Even if they "thaw", they remain super cold. One part rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol to three parts water. Put in zip lock bag, push out as much air as possible and seal. Put first bag in second bag, push out air and seal. He used quart and gallon bags. They also.mold themselves nicely to area needing ice. :ice:

Hi @Elf1
We sure understand your anxiety. The lead up to surgery is the worst. As you can see here, most will tell you that nothing was as bad as they anticipated. You sadly have to wait to realize that.

Following are a few articles that you may not have read and will find interesting.
Stick with us. We're here for you and will support and encourage you in any way we're able.
Wishing you comfort as you move toward a surgery date!

http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/choosing-a-surgeon-and-a-prosthesis.2491/
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/...visions-how-long-will-my-new-joint-last.4491/
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/pre-op-interviews-whats-involved.13327/
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/recovery-aids-a-comprehensive-list-for-hospital-and-home.12499/
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/...o-know-if-buying-one-for-your-recovery.21212/

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back