TKR The Ups and Downs of LTKR

Thank you too @Axx72
I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and you are right. I am a founding member of the ODIC :heehee: but this experience does remind me to be humble or get humbled!……in life but also in TKR. I have taken a step back from physio, the voices are very loud here in terms of the six week window but it just doesn’t make sense to get new exercises every week when you still can’t do the ones from the week before!

I am listening to your sound advice and also to the other bonesmarties who have been kind enough to comment.

I had a setback yesterday evening, just relaxing on the sofa when my knee suddenly popped/clicked and instantly….. I couldn’t straighten or flex my leg to the same degree. Swelling before my eyes on the lateral side of the knee. This has happened before at 4 days post op. A couple of days later it popped again and there was instant relief. Like a ligament or tendon had gone back into place. I am hoping the same thing happens this time so icing, resting and trying not to stress too much. Will contact my surgeon if it doesn’t rectify itself.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Grateful for any advice :prayer:

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Grateful for any advice :prayer:
I have not but what you're doing is the right thing: icing, resting and elevating. Your baby knee is still in charge and listening to it is the best thing right now. Your knee WILL heal given time and normal, daily activities.

Best wishes on your continued recovery! :flwrysmile:

Like a ligament or tendon had gone back into place.
This sounds reasonable. As the swelling goes down more and your leg heals, the tendon should not, if that is what it is, shouldn't be so flexible. There is a whole lot of healing and improvements that will occur in that knee of yours.

Like a ligament or tendon had gone back into place.
This sounds reasonable. As the swelling goes down more and your leg heals, the tendon should not, if that is what it is, shouldn't be so flexible. There is a whole lot of healing and improvements that will occur in that knee of yours.
Ah. I hadn’t thought about how The operation will loosen up ligaments/tendons @sistersinhim. Thank you

This is a challenge, but if I feel low, I look in my full length mirror and see my lovely straight leg, with no valgus deformity, and that really lifts my spirits
I love this!

You're doing well! Thanks for sharing the update and keep up the good work!
@Oons

Happy Tw/o Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re having a great September! :wave:
@Oons

Thank you @Layla. It’s going ok I think. 12 week check up next week. Time is going fast but within that what a slow, challenging recovery! Walking more each week and good ROM. Definitely paying the ferryman when I try and go too fast!! Sometimes it aches. Sometimes it makes me yelp…..and sometimes it feels actually ok and I am so grateful and full of hope again :spin::spin:

Great attitude! I wish you all the best with your three month post op next week. Let us know how it goes if you have time and don't mind sharing. A peaceful week to you, Oons!
@Oons

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope your post op appointment went well and you left feeling reassured about your progress.
All the best!
@Oons

Thank you @Layla. All going well. ROM 143/0 so very grateful. Surgeon is pleased. Right knee scheduled for 23rd Jan 24. Just continuing the exercises for both knees (have done this all the way through since covid lockdown as I knew both would need replacing). I wanted to have them both done at once but my surgeon said no! He also wanted me to get to at least 3 months after 1st TKR to see how I was coping. Am nervous but feel it’s the right decision. Bone on bone ain’t going to get better!

Glad to read all is going well in your recovery. I'm sorry you're nervous while awaiting your Right TKR. I wish you comfort and hope you're able to manage pain well until your surgery date. We're here for support it you need us.
Take care!
@Oons

Best Wishes tomorrow @Oons if you kept your scheduled date.
Let us know if it was postponed. We'd love to hear how you're doing also.
Hope to hear from you soon!
@Oons

Hi @Layla
Thank you so much for keeping in touch. Am 24 hours out as I type. Still in hospital…And in the thick of it! Well. I heard each knee is very different but right now my second knee is a world away from my first at this early stage, funny as my first was the worst knee. I have so much more swelling, and so much less flexion and extension. Having said that I am up and about on crutches….And did some gentle work with the physio. Will see my surgeon later to try to clarify some of the points he mentioned last night……I was a bit woozy at the time. He apparently had to cut an extra angle on my tibia and do something to the soft tissues which was limiting my extension. He said he could press the knee flat In the end. Will update when I know exactly what I‘m talking about. I guess this may be a tougher journey but praying I have done the best thing in tackling it early before further issues.
Hey ho. Still have big plans to dance again:chuckmarch:

Welcome to the Healing Side, @Oons!

Even though you've been through this all before, I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines as a reminder. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

As you note, every knee is different! The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thanks for responding…from your hospital bed. :) Your spirits sound high.
I do hope this is not a tougher journey than your first. It’s still such early days so let’s hold onto hope that it’s a manageable recovery.
Stay in touch, Oons, we’re here to cheer you on!
@Oons

Yay!!!! Two done and let the healing begin! :SUNsmile:

Remember, the swelling and less flexion are just one thing. Flexion is less because swelling is more. So as your swelling comes down your flexion will naturally improve. Good luck with this knee!

Hi Oons!
How are you doing on this one month anniversary of your Right TKR?
I hope recovery is going well for you, progress is steady and you're looking forward to a great Summer 2024.
Happy One Month Anniversary! Hope to hear from you soon!
@Oons

Hi @Layla. Thank you again for checking in! Was 5 weeks yesterday. Am sorry if this is a long post but I am thinking back and trying to compare how this second TKR differs from the first 6 months ago. It’s still early stages but just in case anyone finds it helpful! I know I would read everything so want to pass it on.

Left TKR 25th July 23.
Good flexion very early and 0 extension first week. Almost a poster child recovery but some difficulties.
Terrible constipation! Became a real worry for me and took a while to overcome. It made me forget about my knee pain!
Off heavy duty narcotics at 4 days due to nausea.
Set back by some knee buckling in first week, I was told by PT this was probably due to weak quads. Took it easy and it did recover.
Unwell 3 weeks post op, weight loss, fatigue and low grade fever for a couple of weeks. Still able to continue with PT but reeled it back in after advice from Bonesmart members as I was definitely overdoing it. After that I went to PT every now and then but mainly did my own PT at home which worked really well. At three months went back to my old exercise routine….very slowly and carefully and built up my strength again. Introduced light weights about 4 months post op And prepared for knee replacement no 2. Lots of emphasis on upper body strength to help the still healing left knee and the next operation.
Throughout, there was the ongoing challenge of trying to stay positive when in pain and also having setbacks. This site really helped and also keeping in mind the long term hopes and goals!
But it was hard!!

Right TKR 23rd Jan 24.
A more complex surgery. More bone shaved and soft tissue released.
My surgeon told me I would have to work harder this time round. The issues were not obvious until the surgery took place. In fact it was my ‘good knee’!
It has been a more painful recovery. My whole leg aches at times but I understand why and this does help…..a bit!….But I am trying to stay grateful, especially when reading of other people’s experiences and my heart goes out to them as this is not easy.
Again good early flexion but issues with extension. At five weeks I still can’t straighten my leg fully. I guess I am around 4/5 degrees off despite working hard every day.
My other knee is carrying the load well but complains every now and then. It’s doing a great job considering how painful it was before surgery.
Another positive, I was far better prepared for the dreaded constipation and managed to keep ahead by drinking way more water! Taking stool softeners and Movicol.
It’s my second time around. I don’t panic with the setbacks as my knee is teaching me what it can and can’t cope with. I tried a slightly longer walk yesterday and today my knee says ‘nope’.
I have had a slightly raised temperature again for a couple of weeks. Not sure why. It’s not an infection and paracetamol seems to bring it back to normal. Just waiting for it to pass. Maybe it is my own peculiar reaction to the trauma of the surgery. I have lost weight again but know it will come back as will muscle strength……just wishing it would hurry up!

So…..i am doing little and often ie; hourly stretches to work on extension, plus my own home PT and a visit to my physio every now and then.

Should I be worried about my extension at this point? I can push it manually to 0 but it pops back when I release.

I read different points of view. For example extension is slower to achieve but really needs to be tackled early. Others have said it comes in time as healing progresses. Any input would be so appreciated

Oh……and the mental side? Well…ups and downs but keeping on keeping on. Not regretting doing this at all!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
dxross
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom