PKR The real work begins...My recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, It has been 2 1/2 weeks since my partial knee replacement and I am still rather pleased with my progress. I am in PT 3 times per week and have been making the most of it since I haven't been able to work out with my regular trainer in what seems like forever. The PT has me on the recumbent bike and on a device designed to help increase your ROM. Fortunately, you get to control how far you want to push your knee. I like to call it "the rack". The other exercises I do are designed to increase balance and muscle strength. I was not expecting this, but the PT also does scar massage with cocoa butter, which I consider a treat. I may dust off my elliptical machine and have a go for about 5 mins to see how it feels this weekend. I am itching to increase my aerobic exercises, but I remind myself that I am only 2 1/2 weeks out! I don't want to lose the progress I have gained, especially since I have been able to gently increase my ROM to 130 degrees. I have been off oxycodone since last week, with ice, elevation and rest being the best remedies for any discomfort I have.

My right un-operated knee is starting to remind me again that it too needs some attention. While I would love to have it done as soon as I can, I will wait a couple of months, take a vacation with my boyfriend and then look at getting on my OS' schedule in sometime in October. I originally planned to have the RT knee done next year, but it made sense to have it done in 2014, one because I love having no arthritic pain or crunching in my left knee, but also because of my insurance situation. I have satisfied my deductibles and out of pocket max for the year, which means that surgery number 3 will cost me ultimately less money. It would however mean a third surgery for the year. I must admit, being able to lose weight while rehabbing my knee has been great. I was also plagued with back pain and sciatica before my gastric bypass, and now the pain is gone.

Well, off to ice, I gotta say I the ice machine has been a godsend.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Last edited by a moderator:
Just be careful with the elliptical. Five minutes is a reasonable goal.

Well, it has been about a month since my knee surgery, and progress has been steady. I am still in PT 3 times/week, and so far have achieved 134 degrees ROM. I got to use the elliptical machine in PT and it felt even better than I expected. My PT is very pleased with my progress, as my surgeon's ROM goal is at least 120. I will be seeing my OS on May 13th for my 6 week follow up and to discuss the other knee.

Even though I had a partial knee replacement, I did not expect my recovery to be any different than that of a total knee replacement. So far, I have achieved good ROM a lot faster than I thought I would. I go back to work in 2 weeks, and face a lot of sitting at my desk, sitting on a plane, and sitting at meetings. Sitting for long periods creates stiffness in my operated knee, so I am curious as to how the knee will respond to my regular work schedule. Any advice from those of you who have dealt with this on going back to a traveling desk job after knee surgery?

The other issue I face are my coworkers and how they will respond to my weight loss. I have lost around 40lbs (40lbs to go) since my gastric bypass and did not tell either my boss or my team that I had this surgery. As far as I am concerned, it's none of their business. I don't really want to answer a lot of questions about it, but don't want to lie either.

@Racewalker45
I agree that you don't owe your co-workers any explanations about your weight loss. Can you just smile sweetly and say that you are eating less nowadays (which is true), plus the knee surgery meant you weren't eating much at all for a few days? There's no need to go into any details.

Going back to work early will be tough on your knee, so try and elevate and ice it when you can. Don't plan to do anything after work, except come home and rest.

You might find an aisle seat is more comfortable on the plane. Allow extra time for going through Security at the airports, because your knee will probably ring the bells. I don't know the airports you'll be using but, if they have a long walk to the boarding gate, it might be a good idea to ask for a wheelchair.

Thank you @Celle! Good advice for someone who will stubbornly try to do more, only to be reminded (by my healing knee that it is only 6 weeks old!) I fly out of the Atlanta airport, and the concourses are quite long, so at the very least I will bring my folding cane or arrange for a wheelchair if I need to. They also have carts on the concourses that can transport you to your gate. My walking tolerance is better, but not great, so I need to really plan my trips carefully because of everything you mentioned. I forgot about security, so have to be prepared for "special screening" even though I am a "Trusted Traveller" and can go through the TSA PreCheck line at the airport.

I'm glad I could help a bit. (Don't forget to allow for being very tired - you're still going to be suffering the energy drain caused by your surgery.)

I hope it all goes well for you. Be kind to yourself and to your knee!

With a desk job it is helpful to get up and walk around for a minute or two every hour when you first come back. Also try to ice and elevate as much as you can.

One thing I struggled with was the airport guard would tell me to "watch" my stuff while it sat 100 yards away. I complained one day to the shift manager and he told me it is their job to go and get if for you and to bring your purse and other valuables---iPad---close to where you are.

If you need a cart, you have to book it early like when you get your ticket.

Thanks @kneeper! I have a ice bag the hospital gave me, I think I will use it when I travel. I can toss some ice cubes into and slap it on the knee.

As attractive as they are your TED hose may be an important part of the equation when you are first flying to avoid blood clots. Also you can do ankle flips at your seat for some leg movement. I plan to use transportation assistance on an upcoming flight just to save my energy for important things other than getting through the airport.happy traveling to you.
Pippi

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®

Hi Racewalker! Living in Atlanta, I know how much walking it is in the airport. Also standing. I requested a wheelchair for over a year before surgery and intend to do it again even months from one! They really zip and know shortcuts. It will save much wear and tear. Otherwise, how are you doing with pain and walking?
Christie

Hi Christie, I will take advantage of the wheelchair service, especially since I still have a bum knee. As for pain and walking, I had my last PT session before my first post-op appointment with my OS. I have very little pain and my ROM is 130. I still ice and elevate daily, especially after walking for long periods of time. I am back to work next week, so will see how I do behind a desk and at the airport.

How are you progressing?

Best wises for going back to work next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker