Lounge Doctor

THR The nightmare began July 10 2020

Lamby121

Country
United States United States
I had a left thr in 2018. My surgeon used the posterior approach for both surgeries. In 2018 I went home the same day, no precautions or restrictions. My pt was walking. I was 46 and healed quickly. July 10 2020, my right hip was done. My surgeon has always been a talented compassionate doctor. I didn’t see him that day. His PA signed my hip before surgery. That’s never happened before. The surgeon has done total knee replacements over 10 years ago. The left hip and right shoulder repair. He’s always been in before the procedure to go over things and cover any questions. Not this time. I asked 3 staff members of the hospital to have the surgeon call Me and leave a message Sharing how the surgery went. My husband has memory issues and this was done previously. I was surprised the Pa is who I saw before surgery, but went with it. When I was back in my pre op room, I was given precautions and exercises and restrictions. I checked my phone to see if something unexpected happened. There was no message. The surgeon called my husband and reported everything went well?! I was having severe pain and continuously asked why things had changed? The surgeon had not even covered these as possibilities. I was repeatedly told all surgeries are different. I went through two weeks of an ongoing nightmare. I’ve got to finish this post tomorrow with more details. At two weeks I requested my records because no one help me. I live 2 hours away from the doctor. My husband works full time. I was on my own, barely surviving. When I requested my records, the surgeon called!? The kicker? I was sent home with the wrong discharge orders. I wasn’t to have anything but what I followed from my other hip surgery. . That’s just the beginning. I’ll be back tomorrow and try to write the rest of my experience to the current situation.

Pumpkln

Country
@Lamby121 ,
Sorry to hear of all the challenges you are having since your surgery.
Suggest in the meantime you stop all exercises you were given and let your hip rest.

If you know the date of your left THR, a moderator will add it to your signature for you. Thanks!

Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines for you to look over, the articles are short and will not take long to read. Pay particular attention to the Big Tip.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I am sorry this hip recovery has started off rough and made you anxious.
The surgeon has done total knee replacements over 10 years ago. The left hip and right shoulder repair. He’s always been in before the procedure to go over things and cover any questions. Not this time.
Did you have your knees replaced also by him along with the other hip and shoulder repair? Can we have the dates of those as well, please?
, I was given precautions and exercises and restrictions
I had the same protocol as you first hip, but obviously I had reasonable precautions and restrictions ....self imposed.
The exercises could be the concern that would be unhelpful.
Will look forward to hearing about the further details and I am guessing you have had a Post-op appointment by now?

Last edited by a moderator:

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
HI @Lamby121 - I'm sorry to hear things have been so difficult for you so far. I hope everything improves for you from now on.

I've moved your thread to the recovery area, since you've already had your surgery.

Woodstockhip

Country
That sounds awful! It’s enough just to deal with the anxiety and pain, and to have that kind of breakdown in communication on top of it is mind-boggling. Look forward hearing the rest.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
I’m sorry for your struggles. Hopefully you can provide more details so we’re able to have a better understanding of your situation and the ability to offer advice if that’s what you’re seeking. Otherwise, we‘ll be here for support.
Hope to hear from you soon.
@Lamby121

OP
OP
Lamby121

Lamby121

Country
I am sorry this hip recovery has started off rough and made you anxious.
The surgeon has done total knee replacements over 10 years ago. The left hip and right shoulder repair. He’s always been in before the procedure to go over things and cover any questions. Not this time.
Did you have your knees replaced also by him along with the other hip and shoulder repair? Can we have the dates of those as well, please?
, I was given precautions and exercises and restrictions
I had the same protocol as you first hip, but obviously I had reasonable precautions and restrictions ....self imposed.
The exercises could be the concern that would be unhelpful.
Will look forward to hearing about the further details and I am guessing you have had a Post-op appointment by now?
I had my knees done by the same surgeon in 2010.
L THR was done in 2018-same surgeon
July 10th was the Right THR. I scheduled a 12 week follow up for this Friday Oct 2. It will be the first tIme I’ve seen the actual surgeon. A PA in their local branch has seen me 3 times. The last visit was 6 weeks ago. The lump I have on the side of my leg was thought to be swelling. I still have swelling in my entire r leg, with pain especially in
B09013F5-6170-4739-8FFF-6186309EA4A0.jpeg
my knee. I was told to ice and do the exercises I had and it would go away. It hasn’t. The picture is a current side g rated view. It literally looks like there is a large hotdog bun underneath my scar. It’s also hard, warm and painful. That is one of the main reasons I’m driving 4 hours round trip on Friday to address the surgeon instead of a local PA.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Sorry you're still having pain and swelling. Are you icing for 45-60 minutes each time, 3-4 times a day and elevating? Actually a lot of us iced anytime we weren't up and walking around.

Also, have you stopped doing the exercises and just concentrate on walking? I hope you get some answers from your visit on Friday, please let us know what you find out.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Lamby121
Is there anyway to send you that pic, or better one to your OS office.
I hate that you have such a journey Friday but I certainly would do the same.
My thought is perhaps a hematoma could be formed and all that I read says icing and elevating (with area being elevated above heart) will help most.
Take it easy and try not to project (easy for me to say, I know)
Maybe they could get you in earlier if you send them the pictures?

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
@Lamby121 I'm so sorry for what has happened with this surgery. And I do hope the surgeon has a good explanation why he has been so absent as part of your procedure. It's a bit difficult to tell exactly from the photo you posted, but since the bump is near your incision, it does seem that it may be a hemotoma. I'm glad you are scheduled to see your surgeon soon. I do hope you're having someone drive you to and from your appointment, right? In the meantime, rest, elevate and ice the area that hurts. Take something for the pain. It could be some of your prescribed pain medications or Extra Strength Tylenol in 1000mg doses every 6 hours. If you take the Tylenol, be sure and count any meds (prescription or over the counter) that you take with acetaminophen in them so you don't go over the 4000mg maximum allowed in any 24 hour period.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Saturday, @Lamby121
Hoping your appointment went well and you got some answers.
Hope today is a good day.:SUNsmile:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hey @Lamby121
Wondering how your lengthy trip to the surgeon went on Friday?
Hopefully it was insightful and you’re feeling reassured.
We‘re here and we care...Hope to hear from you as time allows. :)

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Sending best wishes and hope you’re doing well.
Take good care! :)
@Lamby121

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Deme78
Recent bookmarks