THR Exercise progression

@RinTinTin Very discouraging for you when you want to be well, even on the new hip side. Hopefully the end is in sight is some comfort. Is there any way they can give you pain meds to help so you can continue PT on the new hip?

I do have a chance to take stronger medication like Naproxen for OA (but we all know it does help.)
I still have leftovers of Hydromorphone which I also avoid as I am not sure if it would help when I bear the weight on my left hip. I am okay when sitting or lying, even walking with a walker... it's hurts when I try to stand on it to do the PT exercises for the other hip... and I am afraid it will collapse at some point... so I am babying and taking really easy.
It's to fun but I hope it will hold till Dec 3 :)
I shouldn't post about me in your thread :)
Hope you are doing fine. Where in Canada are you?
I totally understand. Both hips were giving out before surgery and it was hard to pick which one. And the fear of the old hip not hanging in when working with new hip, that’s got to be a common concern. Sounds like you are doing the best thing possible. Don’t worry about being on my thread, anyone who reads what you are going through will benefit or understand, so all good.

I think RinTinTin is taking the best route. Certain NSAIDS can be problematic and some studies even suggest they can inhibit bone healing.
When the 2nd hip is repaired...very soon...he will be able to walk more which is the best PT for new hips.

I hope you are still babying that new hip @Chrismcd
Things need to heal before being asked to perform.
Glad your recovery seems to being going well so far.
You caught me considering doing more today. But it is my week anniversary for this hip, and based on your insight, maybe I should just walk a little longer once an hour with walker. I can get in and out of bed by myself, and even shuffled to the weight scale in the corner of my bedroom without any aid this morning. Here is what I learned from that...I limp, and don’t want that to become the habit. So back to the walker. I can’t thank you all enough for your comments, so helpful! Other people don’t really understand and I hate to burden them with questions concerns and even victories that do t seem that important to them.

@Chrismcd You intrigue me about the mention of a scale. How are you using your scale? Wondering if it helps you measure any swelling that is leaving?

@Chrismcd You intrigue me about the mention of a scale. How are you using your scale? Wondering if it helps you measure any swelling that is leaving?
What an interesting idea! Okay will do. I appear to have lost a few lbs in the last week, unfortunately probably muscle.

I appear to have lost a few lbs in the last week, unfortunately probably muscle.
With a fancy bioelectrical impedance scale, you might have a better idea. I was just curious because some folks have mentioned as much as a 20 lb. increase due to swelling and others not so much.

I appear to have lost a few lbs in the last week, unfortunately probably muscle.
With a fancy bioelectrical impedance scale, you might have a better idea. I was just curious because some folks have mentioned as much as a 20 lb. increase due to swelling and others not so much.
I have been very lucky, not too much swelling, except where my puppy slammed her paw down exactly on surgery site. I howled! Poor pup! So just a wee bit of seepage that day (lots of icing). I have a really curvy hip, but mostly fairly mild, No knee or thigh swelling otherwise. I think my surgeon did an amazing job as far as I can tell. That article about the stages of sutures is quite an eye opener, and the idea of infection at any one of those closures. It is good to be grateful for the care he gave to me, which is part of gratitude for minimal swelling.

@Chrismcd I am glad to hear you do not have much swelling! Ouch on the puppy paw. They can be so unpredictable in their happiness and playfulness, as well as such a joy.
It’s great to hear you think your doctor did a good job and you are healing well.

It is sort of a morphone high too, and I guess we will see when I start weaning off the drugs.

My surgeon, I have a lot of confidence in him. He is from Iran originally, a surgeon there, came to Canada and had to do the whole medical school and orthopaedic surgeon specialty, etc in English! So he has been through a lot to be where he is, and he works with a world class group out of St Paul’s hospital. Truly lovely person. I just love him. I want to do well, for him as well as for myself.

A question just occurred to me that maybe some of you can answer. I am on 1 mg hydramorphone 6 x a day. Other drugs too, acetaminophen, a muscle relaxant, nerve drug, and celecoxib, senno, and an aspirin. I am not having any pain issues except when being too aggressive with exercises and soft tissue awakening. How should I start getting off hydromorphone and what is your experience with these kinds of drugs?

I can only speak about the hydromorphone. For me, it was a gradual and successful process with no side effects, from a different kind of surgery. Everyone is different and I would think it’s a good question for your doctor who prescribed it.

Thank you, I will call his office tomorrow. Reading some medical papers, all the drugs I am on are good for now. The only habit forming is hydramorphone. Many comments regarding use “as needed”, but I don’t know what “needed” looks like.

So glad you are taking the slow and steady approach.
I lost 15 pounds post op most to do with appetite being blah I think and all that energy going for healing.
Doubt that it is really loss of muscle.
Anything I lost in muscle tone or weight was quickly regained after a few months...so don't worry.
Ypu are doing just fine.
Just remember...
When you are icing and elevating and watching telly you are not 'dossing around' you are 'engaging a carefully considered proactively designed heuristically programmed dynamically structured recovery programme'.
:heehee:

So glad you are taking the slow and steady approach.
I lost 15 pounds post op most to do with appetite being blah I think and all that energy going for healing.
Doubt that it is really loss of muscle.
Anything I lost in muscle tone or weight was quickly regained after a few months...so don't worry.
Ypu are doing just fine.
Just remember...
When you are icing and elevating and watching telly you are not 'dossing around' you are 'engaging a carefully considered proactively designed heuristically programmed dynamically structured recovery programme'.
:heehee:
That is too funny! I have only started watching Netflix...but I will remember the no guilt phrase! The only thing missing is a pint of Haagen daz...chocolate!

:giggle: Food for your body and food for your soul!
• It provides the body with nutrients and valuable ingredients such as calcium, riboflavin, niacin, phosphorus, zinc, potassium and magnesium. In particular, it contains a non-negligible amount of calcium, reaching 120 mg per 100 g of ice cream when the corresponding amount in whole milk is 140 mg.

• It offers proteins of high biological value, corresponding to those of the dairy that builds our body tissues. So, next time that you consume some ice cream, remember that you consume some of the protein you need.

• Ice cream carbs mainly come from sweeteners and milk lactose. Carbohydrates are useful for the body because they constitute a direct source of energy, which can be used for the smooth function of the central nervous system, for the protection of tissue proteins, etc. It has also been found that lactose in children helps absorb calcium, a mineral that is necessary for the formation of strong bones.

• As a milk product, it has also "inherited" important vitamins such as vitamin A, a vitamin that is "hidden" in food fat and is responsible for smooth development and good vision, and B complex vitamins such as B1, B2 and B12, which are responsible for the smooth function of the nervous system.

Just wondering how long malaise and feeling nauseous lasts?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom