TKR The journey continues

I love reading of your activities and will miss your updates! You are so encouraging! Just knowing that we can do the same things that you are in our time is so uplifting! Enjoy your life girl!

Clara, your support has meant a great deal for me. I wish you only well as you face your problems with the thyroid and your father. You are an exceptional person and it has been my delight to know you.

@Floridagal
I have enjoyed "talking" to you and recovering alongside you. I will be 16 weeks along come Friday. I also feel I have come a long way, and even though I still have some heat and swelling, I am doing okay. I don't do things like golf, but this week I have restarted my modern dance and stretches. PT has agreed to have me come 2 more visits to ride the bike, and I will get them to measure one more time just for curiosity sake. I have met MY goals, and hope to continue to improve. Best of luck to you!

Thank you, @birdwatchr. I have no idea what my ROM is now but it was good when I stopped PT. I am believing that as long as I stay active it will be good. I envy those who can dance. I have two left feet and no sense of rhythm. Best of luck to you in the future. I hope you can fix the job situation. I taught 6th grade at a military school - the challenge of a lifetime. I admire those who work with children.

Best wishes to you Amy Jo. You must have some sense of rhythm if you can sing in a chorus! You've had a great recovery and are inspiring to me. We don't have to curl up and disappear in our older years. Kep up your active lifestyle!

Amy Jo I had my replacement a week before you like you I am in a good place and pain free, I wish you well and all the luck in the world. Xx

LTKR 11 May 2016

Good for you, Dawni. I can now go downstairs without thinking about it! I wish you well too. May that knee take you on many fun adventures.

I'm picturing you and @Dawni striding confidently into your futures! Best of luck to both of you.

Amy Jo, is your other knee behaving?

Ya, it is a little sore but not like last week. I really think the step-ups that the personal trainer had me do were the cause. I won't do them again. I think I did about 30 or more with each leg. It's good to know what irritates it so I can adjust. It's also good that I can go downstairs now the normal way. That takes pressure off it. Thanks for asking. I see the OS on Tuesday. I wonder if he will x-ray both knees or even the TKR.

It's good that you know your body well enough to know what not to do. Have a good visit with your OS. I don't have to see mine again until next Aug! I'll probably have the other one done by then.

Today I saw the OS and asked a question that some of you might wonder about. People have told me that I will NEVER be able to knee on the TKR knee. My OS said that I could do it but start by kneeling on a pillow and work my way to harder surfaces. He also noted that some people's incision would limit when they could kneel because of the incision's sensitivity. Mine has never been sensitive. I am going to start practicing kneeling. I want to be able to comfortable get up from the floor so I can resume doing my back exercises. He backed off from the comment that I would not need surgery on the other knee. He pulled up its x-ray and it didn't look that good. He wants to see me in a year to check on the other knee. He also told me that some people will continue to have swelling and pain in the TKR. It will not end in a year or 18 months. Of course, I hope for the best - not the worst case scenario.

Well, that sounds like both an optimistic and realistic appraisal of the process. I suppose you will have to guide your decision on your knee relative to symptoms. I wonder about age limits on knee replacement surgery.

Amy Jo, enjoy your new knee and as far as the other one just cross that bridge when you get to it.

Ladies...hello...I am so happy to have stumbled on to this forum. I spent the last hour reading every word written. Amy Jo, way to go on your success!! I believe we had our TKR around the same time and I am so pleased your journey to recovery validated mine. It was so nice to read your ups and downs through the process. I, too, over did activities and paid for it with swelling and pain....and was reminded over and over again by the PA to be patient!! Patience does not come easy for me. I want to go, go, go but my knee often stopped me and said 'not yet.' Thank you, everyone, for the pleasure of reading your comments... it made my journey feel normal.

@biebz5566 glad to have you part of the gang. :) We are a motley crew with many different experiences. I was lucky that mine was pretty easy once I left the hospital.

This morning I used the pillow and was able to do my much needed back stretches on the floor. I was certainly tight. It felt good to take one more step toward my previous life. I am now at 4 months out. I also feel like the last four months have aged me. There is still a ways to go before I have total mobility. Sometimes I feel like an old lady - but guess what I AM one. :)

[Sometimes I feel like an old lady - but guess what I AM one.]

HAHA!! Sometimes I feel the same way! I sent a message to my surgeon that I am getting back to normal and can walk much better, and he responded "Don't overdo it". Kind of hard when you still have to work, but I rest when I get home! I still haven't tried getting down on the floor yet, though. Be a while before I am that brave!

Amy Jo, you are much younger physically that many of us on here! @biebz5566, welcome. Why don't you start your own thread and tell us all about your journey. We are a big happy family and always welcome new members!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie