• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

The Good, the bad and the ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prohack

Had my Right THR (metal on metal) at the end of October 2007 (a day before my 59 birthday)
Bad - I was a total baby with needles etc. who had never previously been in hospital
Good - Having to wait 12 months for my operation I was able to lose 14 Kgs (about 31lbs) down from 111 to 97 kgs
Good - Hospital - fantastic care and a "pain pump" PCA
Good - Discharged after 4 days with 2 crutches, a raised toilet seat and chair blocks
Good - Original hip pain disappeared immediately after surgery
Bad - Healing pains in my leg and back
Good - Resolved by excercise and working through each issue. Easy to get disillusioned since one pain seemed to be replaced by another
Bad - Sleeping on my back in bed for first 7 weeks. Pain in my heals I believe was pressure sore. Resolved by putting my legs on a pillow to lift the heels slightly off the mattress
Good - Getting permission to lay on my side after 7 weeks
Bad - Much reduced activity (particularly in the first 3 weeks) and fantastic home care resulting in weight gain up to 107 kgs
Good - Walking without any support after 10 weeks post op
Bad - Struggling with my gait at the moment. I feel a bit like the Hunchback of Notre Dame - just another issue I have to (will) resolve
Good - I can put my socks on without using any aids
What about the Ugly? - that's me!
My only advice is when trying something new, act like the Six Million Dollar Man - He always did the important things in slow motion.
Good luck to everyone considering this procedure.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Oh oh!! My sides are aching! What a wonderful post, Prohack! Thank you, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GermanQueen
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom