Knee Infection* The girl with the two fake knees

God bless you, Jen. You have many prayers from many people.

I'm finally home!!! What a trial this whole situation has been! I haven't taken the time to process it yet, but I will be speaking my mind to a few different people, that's for sure!!! I will never again NOT speak up for myself when I feel something is going on. But, at least the clot didn't kill me and maybe it was even a wake up call to make some changes that I've honestly needed to make for quite some time.

Anyway, I got out today rather than yesterday as they were still trying to figure out my levels. I am giving myself 2 shots of Lovenox twice a day along with one Warfarin pill. I'll have to have blood draws at least once a week, most likely more, until my levels are consistent. Once I am in the target zone, 9 days maybe it less, I will stop the Lovenox and stick with the Warfarin for 3-6 months. I'll have to have an ultrasound on my legs to verify any clots are gone. Then I'm done since they are almost positive it's surgery related and not spontaneous DVT. Whew!!!

I am breathing much better and easier and I don't get so tired so quickly. Once I was transferred to Rochester General, they had me do a walk test and my oxygen dropped from 94 to 74 within a minute...not good. When I laid down on the platform for the CT scan, I couldn't breathe! Scary stuff! I was poked so many times for an IV and for blood, 26 at my count, for no good reason at all. The ER at the local hospital where I've had my last 5 surgeries was a joke! It took 8 hours to draw labs to test for a pulmonary embolism and transfer me because I was over the capacity for their scanner (I'm a fat fattie) 8 hours!!! Not once did I get oxygen even though that was my chief complaint! So, I'll be making some waves! Yes, I'm bigger, but never had there been so much trouble finding a vein, 3 attempts at the most, which is rare. They even had to get blood out of my foot!!! Once I was in the floor at Rochester General, every single person got the vein on their first try!

I'm calming down... I promise. I'm just glad I didn't die and trusted my instincts and went to the ER. I'll gladly stick with orthopedic issues in the future, but no surgeries for a while and I need to make sure this infection is fine ASAP!

That's all I have for now! Thank you for your positive thoughts!

Alive and grateful,
Jen

:console2: I hope you can rest and unwind and try to relax now that you’re home.

I'm glad you're home and feeling a bit better, Jen! :friends:

Thank God you are home and that you listened to your body!

I realize my last post was basically a repeat of an earlier one! Guess I was still a bit hawky about the whole situation!! Anyway....

Feeling better all the time!!! I went for my first Protime blood draw today (got it on the 2nd poke!!!!). Already got a call from my PCP because the test showed that my blood was dangerously thin! My levels are supposed to be between 2-3, mine was a 5!!! It was 1.3 when I left the hospital Tuesday. So, I have to hold the Lovenox and Warfarin until my next Protime on Saturday. They also cautioned me not to fall or injure myself because I will bleed, even internally too! So, that prospect is scary and I'm going to be careful!! Maybe even wrap myself in bubble wrap too. :)

My next OS appt was moved from Monday to SATURDAY! They had to move all the appts with the PA so they opened up weekend hours...weird, but ok because I'll be seeing the actual doctor. I'll have a nice little chat with him, you can bet on it!!! I'm hoping I can start more activity with my ankle, but I have a feeling he will continue to be cautious because of the infection and the clotting concerns. Just when I think the worst that could happen has happened.....it keeps coming! I feel so pathetic, but trying to remain optimistic. :) I have had a few minutes here and there, especially when I look back since 2015...so I hope the next few years will make up for it!!

That's all I have for now! Feel so much better. Getting up more for spins around the house on my crutches. Drinking a TON of water. Eating well (but very little). Sitting upright more. All good stuff!!

Thank you so much for your continued support and well wishes!!! I'll get there!!

Jen

You are such an inspiration! Everything you have been through and you still sound upbeat. We are praying for you!

Well, I've been having a bit of a go of it! Dealing with some residual pain, chest tightness, shortness of breath, and coughing from the PE. I actually had to see my doctor and get an x-ray yesterday to rule out pneumonia. Thankfully, it was ruled out!! I still feel unwell, but at least I know it's part of the process rather than something else going on.

My blood levels have been high, so I have to be careful with my "thin" blood. It was as high as 9 (dangerously thin) at one point. It's a 4 as of the last blood draw, which is still higher than the range of 2-3 that my doctor wants. It will get even wackier once I'm done with the antibiotic for my ankle in a few days. I hope that it will level out soon after that. I have lost 20 pounds during this process as I have lost my appetite most of the time!!!

As for my ankle...I am on day 6 with the dreaded wound vac! Yes...operation "no wound vac" failed. It's awkward, but not as bad as I feared it would be. It leaked on the second day, so I redressed it and it's been water tight and quiet since! I guess I picked up more than I thought when I had it on my knee for so long last year. I'm hoping I won't need it after it dies out tomorrow, which it automatically does after 7 days. I see my OS, well, the PA, on Friday. (The one who didn't seem to think my disappearing calf pain was a big deal...he's got some 'splainin' to do!)

There are days when my ankle feels ok, but there are more when it's quite painful, way more than it should be at this point. There are also times when it looks puffy and red, like it's infected, which it is. I do have to have a Cat Scan to check the position of the dissolvable hardware. My OS thinks that one of the screws may have "backed out," and could be causing the infection. The antibiotics won't cure it if this is the case. It also won't dissolve if it's not embedded. So....I would have to have another surgery to remove it. I'm not even going to think about that until I know for sure, but it would be a total bummer...I just want it to get better so I can be more active. I want to use my anatomically correct joints!!

So, that's my update. I'm getting out here and there too, but I tire easily still. Thinking about quilting again, but we'll see. I'm also hoping to go fishing this weekend and I can't wait! I have some new gear and tricks up my sleeve! Still can't drive which is probably the hardest thing for me. It makes me feel trapped and stuck, if that makes sense?! I could drive if I had to, but I wouldn't be able to wear Das Boot, and my reaction time wouldn't be the greatest, so it's better not to chance it! I hate putting my parents out by having them drive me to my appointments. They do not mind, but I do!! I should be taking care of them!!! I'm going to think of something really big to show them how appreciative I am once this is all said and done. I would like to be able to visit my friend Mara (my BFF who I've talked about before) as she was admitted to the hospital in Buffalo today for complications of her Crohn's. That is my main focus and concern for right now.

Thank you for your continued good thoughts and for still following my story!!! I'll be so glad when the medical part of my life is boring!!

Still hanging in there!
Jen

Last edited:
I totally get feeling “stuck”. It’s not pleasant to lose independence and be virtually housebound for a period of time. Thanks for keeping us up dated and I hope you can get out a bit.

I'm still thinking of you, Jen. :friends: And I'm hoping that things get better for you from now on. I'm glad you don't have pneumonia - at least that's one complication you've avoided.

I hope your blood level come down soon. My husband takes Warfarin and has to be tested once a week. We had to stop the PICO suction pump on his wound when his INR got too high, as he was starting to bleed from the wound.

I'm sorry your friend is ill.

I think you're wise not to drive. Your parents love you, so they 're happy to do it for you, to make sure you're safe. As you say, you can repay them later.

I hope your heel starts to improve soon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads