THR The fun part

Next week: all restrictions get lifted! Party at my place! :martini:
......and the ODIC is waiting...but we second time arounders are prepared for them!! Always helps to have a fellow hippy to send out a wee memo though! I had your reminder in my head starting at week six...or was it week eight...either way, I'm trying to be good....so back at you! I don't think my energy returned until week seven/eight though, maybe that helped!

So sorry about your basement flooding. What a horrible thing to deal with....but as Jaycey says...
It is as if by fate nature does what we just can't.

Hope your cold is better soon, so sorry you are feeling low, in addition to the basement flood...:holysheep: Wishing you a calm week @Bone-obo , with the basement issues and, hopefully the cold, behind you.

Basic stuff - easy: (difficulty level 2: the right leg was capable of all this prior to the recent surging)
- putting on socks
- tying shoes
- clip toenails

These are things I really want to do too @Bone-obo! In the meantime I'm enjoying the pedicures (was given quite a few gift certificates for Christmas from my family..no one want to cut my toe nails I guess :heehee:). I thank the dear Lord daily for the sock aid. I live in slip-on shoes and boots, and use the long handled shoe horn for that. I purchased hiking boots with velcro, and use a 12" adjustable wrench from hubby's work shop to pull the tabs across...idea thanks to @Eman85! Tying my own laces still seems a bit like scaling Mt. Everest :gaah:!

Happy Saturday, @Bone-obo! I trust you're feeling better today (stupid cold!) and looking forward to a pleasant weekend ahead. I kept thinking yesterday was Saturday for some reason, so delighted to realize this morning that today is Saturday. I am not sure why I care, given my retired status. But somehow old habits (week days vs. weekends) die hard. It's sunny here in my neck of the woods and feeling cheerful from this nice mood boost. Cheers to you!

Just a quick Hi :hi: that's all.
I'm sure you're out on some adventure and will be throwing down some Cheescake Frozen Custard at the end of the day. A tad chilly for that with the temps we're dealing with in the Upper MidWest. I hope your miserable cold is now history and you're enjoying the weekend, maybe even experiencing some warm sunshine. :SUNsmile:
@Bone-obo

When spring has sprung...my guess is you will be finer than frog hair!
I sure hope so! I've been spending longer and longer on the recumbent at the gym so I'll be ready to get back on the trike tomorrow evening after my probation ends. (Functionally speaking, I could do it today, but there's something so festive about setting an arbitrary milestone and waiting to cross it.)

My restrictions are lifted (other than the usual, "if it hurts, stop") but I'm slowly resigning myself to the fact that I still have a lot of work ahead of me to rebuild strength and agility. I am impatient, like many of us, I'm sure, but my body is in charge of this recovery, not my impatience.
Yep. Same. There's still a little weakness in my left hip leftover from the OS plucking on my muscles like I'm a banjo, and that'll take another month or so to vanish. Plus this is prime time for over-doing and collecting an overuse injury like tendonitis. This time around, I'm very aware of my own physical limitations and the need to let my body tell me when I'm ready to move on!

I live in slip-on shoes and boots, and use the long handled shoe horn for that. I purchased hiking boots with velcro, and use a 12" adjustable wrench from hubby's work shop to pull the tabs across...idea thanks to @Eman85! Tying my own laces still seems a bit like scaling Mt. Everest :gaah:!
You gotta love slip-on shoes! I use elastic laces on my day-to-day Merrills, but I've got a new pair laced with regular shoe laces I keep in a prominent place like a teenager keeps a condom in his wallet. Just a few more months...!

I kept thinking yesterday was Saturday for some reason, so delighted to realize this morning that today is Saturday. I am not sure why I care, given my retired status.
Glad to know this isn't just us! We're still working, but since our jobs are largely self-scheduled, holidays and weekends don't mean much.

I'm sure you're out on some adventure and will be throwing down some Cheescake Frozen Custard at the end of the day.
You used the link! Wow! Yep, went to a movie, then walked a couple of laps and had the cheesecake custard. Mmmmm!

Tomorrow: The Big Day...

:egypdance:I am so there!
You deserve all the good times and I'm very happy for all the good times ahead for you.
I, too, am double hippy happy!
Onward and upward friend!:ok:

Good luck today @Bone-obo....not that you need any! Look forward to reading your report!

You gotta love slip-on shoes! I use elastic laces on my day-to-day Merrills, but I've got a new pair laced with regular shoe laces I keep in a prominent place like a teenager keeps a condom in his wallet. Just a few more months...!
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: We have an almost 18 year old son at home still finishing grade 12.....I do the laundry:rofsign:

Wooo, what a rush! Going to the OS for the last time EVERS was like my college graduation, a mix of celebration and surprising regrets. (My OS is a really nice guy and I'll probably never see him again! :boohoo:)

This won't be nearly as amusing as @Klassy's amazing writeup, but here goes. First off, they blew a few roentgens thru me to make pretty pictures of my innards, which formed the basis for the first question:

Q1: are my legs equal length? They don't feel equal length! Am I delusional?

Answer: Yes, I am delusional, as indicated by the just-shot x-rays. Apparently my hips were so locked up and restricted by bone spurs that a lot of the muscles in my pelvis have had nothing to do for years but pound brewskis and play cards. My OS said once patients return to non-restricted activity, that whole leg length thing usually goes slam away.

Q2: What about the Baker's Cyst thing? Is this a harbinger of knee problem? Should I exercise gingerly, like my knees are made of unfired ceramics?

Answer: Not really. My knee's not that munged up, so it's probably gonna be okay in the long run. Advice is to keep moving, and it'll work itself out.

Q3: Ceramic or polyethylene? (I gritted my teeth and waited to hear polyethylene.)

Answer: Ceramic. :happydance: I explained that my interest was really trivial, and that I was chuffed to bits at having a boss looking purple ball in my socket!

"Purple?" he said. "It's not purple. It's pink."

Whuuuu...?

So I looked it up again online. Could this be interpreted as pink? Yea, thinkest I.

aproxy_duckduckgo_com_iu__0a8471d3151c0880b3a2d7c47651777b._.jpg

But wait! There's more! This evening while watching the tube I crossed my right leg over my left knee! Unheard of! I haven't been able to do this in 10 years! I am ... verklempt...!

If we don't all die, 2019 could be a very good year!

Splendid! The wonderful synopsis of the great report from OS, and your - as always - expressive rendering of it!:)

Definitely fuschia.
Definitely going to be an excellent year @Bone-obo :chuckmarch:

Definitely mauve. No, lavender!

“If we don’t all die, 2019 could be a very good year”. What a magnificently actuarial forecast.

So, back on the trike is next. Keep us posted!

Great news on all fronts other than that pink thing (but just pretend it's in support of breast cancer survivors). Louis it's interesting that you don't have any more follow-ups. I've heard of some that have patients come in once a year. I am supposed to go back at the 2 year mark and then I'll be done.

Look out world - Bone-Obo's trike is coming through!

I vote Pink too. In some pics, might have a lavender tint.
Great update for sure @Bone-obo
OS may be releasing you, but we aren't, not quite yet anyway. Your comedic relief would be sorely missed.
Nothing but happy for your progress. I hope Jamocha Tuesday is a good one!

Congratulations! Your on the bright side. Surgical pain responds much better to those meds than arthritis does. Stay ahead and communicate... if something doesn’t seem right let them know, if a med makes you feel weird, tell someone. Everyone responds differently. Breathe and flow with your body. Let it be your guide, it will try to tell you what it needs.
Catch some sleep whenever you can ;). Welcome to the bionic hip club!!!

Wow, @Bone-obo! What a wonderful report from your OS, and how satisfying to think this is the LAST check in you'll need. I am sure he is a nice guy, and did a great job, but there are a lot of nice folks out there for you to meet still and it's about time! I am envious somewhat, as now that your second hip has been replaced you truly don't need to see your OS again. My one year visit will be scheduled in September, and I wonder whether at that meeting we'll be talking about--gulp--a second surgery for crabby left hip! My OS is probably my daughter's age or slightly older, and very "rock star chic" looking. He makes me feel a bit old and shabby, but admittedly he did a great job on the right hip so I can't complain. Anyway, with a final okay, and some reassurance that you just need to focus on rebuilding strength and flexibility to relieve knee pain, I hope you're feeling like a new man, ready to get out there and--slowly and surely--start that process! Viva la Ejercicio! 2019 IS going to be grand.

Last edited:
Thanks, Bone-obo!
At -28 currently, I'm staying indoors...all day. High today of -14 :rotfl:
I hope you have a good one :)
@Bone-obo

@Bone-obo Great update after your follow up appointment! Don't forget to stop by once in awhile and update. I have a feeling you have lots of living to do these days.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back