THR The fun part

New hip, different gait?
Yep, I'll bet that's a factor.

Insufficient cane use?
And that, too.

On the bright side, my hip feels radically better today - if I thought I could trust my knee, I'd be ditching the cane for longer periods like I did last time. But that feckless joint's betrayed me too often, so the partnership of Bone-obo and Cane will be sticking around (see what I did there?) for a while longer.

Do you think a compression bandage would help...
It would be some extra support?
With the use of the cane of course!

You are doing amazingly well for less than 3 weeks out...so do remind yourself that is not very long for that new ball joint and tie-rod to get settled in.
Got to put strain on the rest of your leg...
I have no doubt you will get there...if you give it time.
(Poor Mrs Bone-obo. I should think you worry her silly at times)

Do you think a compression bandage would help...
Good idea! I'll try that!

Poor Mrs Bone-obo. I should think you worry her silly at times
Actually, I rely on her as a reality check to pare back my urge to excess! If she's worried, I'll rethink my plans. I may still do them, but at least I'll give 'em a rethink.

Have I missed the mark, or, like true archer, do I strike my quarry? Or am I prophet of lies, a babbler from door to door?
Alas, you are the prophet cursed to utter truths that no one believes. Woe and stuff!

What? You're not on the road to St. Louis yet? Going to need to do some speed walking tomorrow!

"the more complicated terrain I tried to walk yesterday caused a meltdown"....complicated terrain has ODIC stamped all over it, although I continue to flirt with it on the farm! I find this second time around so tricky. Many things came faster I thought, but then I had to backtrack....cue the zig zag lines! :tantrum2::hairpulling::gaah::headbang:

Hoping you are having a smooth day @Bone-obo and wishing you and Mrs. B a very Happy and healthy 2019!

Many things came faster I thought, but then I had to backtrack....cue the zig zag lines!
No lie! This time there was way less pain and way more energy, and I was running ahead of my previous pace until I got to ditching the cane, and I stalled. Suddenly, my energy is down (slightly but definitely), and I'm having trouble shedding the accursed stick.

Walked .7 miles today, and ascertained that my knee issues are almost certainly not related to walking on flat ground as long as I have my cane. Tomorrow I'll see how close I can get a mile, and if the knees are still good, Wednesday I'll see if I can handle the recumbent bike at the gym to start tightening some of the leg muscles.

And I have a deadline: Sunday we drive to DC to see a play, and since the theater is downtown, walking will be a necessary part of the trip. Nothing like a little pressure!

Good evening, @Bone-obo. It's new year's eve, and I hope you are doing exactly what you want to be doing. I haven't been invited to a loud, alcohol-fueled NYE party in decades but I don't miss those. We had a "faux" NYE on Saturday, dinner with friends and a sleepover, an annual tradition which I very much enjoy. Stupidly walked three miles yesterday morning with our hosts and I am paying the price today. Right operated hip did well, but left unoperated hip was screaming in protest most of the day yesterday and still achy today. I am feeling grumpy and upset with myself (no one else to blame, unfortunately) but taking it easy as husband has left for the Rose Bowl and I'm on my own until late Wednesday night. Made and ate macaroni and cheese for dinner but it wasn't very good--heavy sigh--so I'll pitch the rest of it in the yard waste bin tomorrow morning. Spent the day in my nightwear, so no changing required before bed tonight. I'm going to be a total slob for the next day or so in my husband's absence. Happy new year to you, and here's hoping recovery continues--zig zagging perhaps but in the end moving forward into a fully healed and healthy new year!

Are you setting my exercise routine for me? Tomorrow I'm going to head to the gym for a little time on the treadmill and recumbent stationary bike. I'm also transitioning off the cane - amazing how different it feels now compared to 10 hours ago!

Sorry you are having so much trouble with your knee. I hope it will resolve quickly. I've had knee pain on and off after surgery. At the first, I chocked it up to all those muscles being moved around during surgery. I'm sure that was the case at the beginning. Now, when it flares up, I feel like maybe I'm compensating somehow for the bursitis in my hip, or moved wrong, etc. Mine doesn't seem to be as painful as yours does though. Keep up your good work. We'll be here to keep your spirits up. :flwrysmile:

It's new year's eve, and I hope you are doing exactly what you want to be doing.
We did our standard walk through the shopping center, culminating in frozen egg nog custard around 9. Then home, where my wife binge-watched Game of Thrones and I read until we heard the fireworks downtown announcing the New Year. Quiet, private, and civilized (except for Game of Thrones). Tonight we'll go over to a friend's house and spend the evening swilling mildly alcoholic beverages and watching the New Year's special episode of Doctor Who. The perfect holiday for grown up nerds!

Stupidly walked three miles yesterday morning with our hosts and I am paying the price today. Right operated hip did well, but left unoperated hip was screaming in protest most of the day yesterday and still achy today.
I did that, too! Did you have to pretend you weren't hurting while you were walking with your hosts? That's the worst! I feel for you - hope your hip feels better today!

Made and ate macaroni and cheese for dinner but it wasn't very good--heavy sigh--so I'll pitch the rest of it in the yard waste bin tomorrow morning.
My niece swears by Alton Brown's recipe: https://altonbrown.com/baked-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe/ Too much like cooking for me, but worth a try.

I'm going to be a total slob for the next day or so in my husband's absence.
YES! Now that a resolution I can get behind.

Are you setting my exercise routine for me? Tomorrow I'm going to head to the gym for a little time on the treadmill and recumbent stationary bike. I'm also transitioning off the cane - amazing how different it feels now compared to 10 hours ago!
Holy crud - off the operating table and into the stratosphere! Just try not to burn up on re-entry!

Now, when it flares up, I feel like maybe I'm compensating somehow for the bursitis in my hip, or moved wrong, etc. Mine doesn't seem to be as painful as yours does though. Keep up your good work. We'll be here to keep your spirits up.
Eh, don't mind me - I'm being a drama queen. It's not that it's all that painful, more than it's restrictive - I know that anything that irritates the knee is cumulative, and can quickly turn chronic if I'm not careful, so it means I have to back off on what I'm doing until I figure out what the cause is. In this case, I think the problem was trying to shed the cane too soon, since I've been upping my walking mileage slowly the last few days with no ill effects. (I also self-certified on driving the car - everybody help me lie to the insurance company when I mow down that telephone pole!)

One unusual twist to this hip: my op leg feels shorter than the other! Isn't it supposed to be the other way 'round? I'm not worried - I saw the x-rays: two perfectly matched hips, bang on identical as to length, so this, too, shall pass.

Good morning, @Bone-obo. Sounds like you had the perfect NYE for YOU, always a good thing. And tonight another peaceful evening as well. Good for you! I, too, will have another very quiet evening as my husband doesn't return until Wednesday night. I need to take it easy today and tomorrow as Thursday and Friday we are watching an active 6 and 4 year old both days. I will need to be up and moving around, and aching hips won't be allowed. I need to identify two out of the house activities, one for each day, otherwise we'll go crazy with bored kiddies trapped inside the house--shudder. I think one day we'll go to an interactive children's museum about an hour north of us, and perhaps the second day we'll go to the Seattle aquarium or maybe the science center. I love my grands but, good grief, they are exhausting.

I think Ina Garten's macaroni and cheese is the absolute best recipe personally, but yesterday's attempt was a totally lame "I want some and I want it NOW" with ingredients I had around the house. I should have known better but I was lazy. I got what I deserved. I may bestir myself today and hit the store on the way home for the gym. I would like to make my absolute favorite grilled sandwich for dinner: cheese, crisp bacon, ripe tomato and avocado--a total fat bomb but, oh, so delicious!

Sounds like you are, for the most part, able to engage in some exercise with your mall walks which aren't a problem. I know walking three miles (and I could tell half way that things weren't going well) was stupid but our hosts didn't press me, it was my own stubbornness that kept me pushing through. They'd said "we can turn back anytime you'd like" but I was NOT going to be that person and just smiled and said, "oh, no--I'll be fine". I can't blame them, it was all on me. Heavy sigh. But feeling better today and will hit the gym for a short workout if I can manage it. Happy January 1--a new year with new hips, you're going to be swell by midyear, you lucky dog. Cheers.

Nothing much to post - I'm moving slightly better, but still stuck with the cane. Energy is at 75% - walking over .6 mile will reduce me to rubble. Time: it passes.

I think one day we'll go to an interactive children's museum about an hour north of us, and perhaps the second day we'll go to the Seattle aquarium or maybe the science center. I love my grands but, good grief, they are exhausting.
You probably go to the aquarium often enough that it's common, but I've only been there once, and loved it! My favorite was the tidal pool, with all the volunteer critters setting up shop. But then again it was just my wife and me with no distractions, soooooo I suspect it was a purer experience for us.

I think Ina Garten's macaroni and cheese is the absolute best recipe personally, but yesterday's attempt was a totally lame "I want some and I want it NOW" with ingredients I had around the house.
Been there done that. Made a rice pudding one year with substitute ingredients I had in the house - it came out like white tarry sludge. Disgusting.

I would like to make my absolute favorite grilled sandwich for dinner: cheese, crisp bacon, ripe tomato and avocado--a total fat bomb but, oh, so delicious!
Actually, that doesn't sound so bad! Maybe 600-700 calories, 800 if you go bananas with the butter while grilling. Fix two and ship one east, please!

They'd said "we can turn back anytime you'd like" but I was NOT going to be that person and just smiled and said, "oh, no--I'll be fine".
Ha! You, too? My wife's gotten really good at reading how bad I'm lying when I say "no problem, I'm fine", but I still get into scrapes by overestimating my abilities regarding the hips. Ah well. Here's hoping that will soon be a non-issue for both of us.

Good morning, @Bone-obo. I did indulge in that fattening sandwich yesterday and, yes, it did taste good but not as wonderful as I remember it from decades ago. I'd not had one in ages because after a certain point in life, one does think (and usually behave) more responsibly about diet and cholesterol. Regrettably, gone are the days when one can eat mindlessly. I get tired of having to stick to mostly good behavior, however, so every once and awhile I do indulge in something I know isn't great nutrition. But then, like yesterday, I find that it wasn't really worth it. Isn't that too often the way with experiences, food or otherwise, that we remember from previous days? Trying to replicate those often is disappointing. Not, however, that this stopped me from wolfing that baby down! I will say that after that heavy lunch I decided I just needed a bowl of oatmeal for dinner.

Hope you had a grand new year's day yesterday, a bit of walking, enough to stretch and energize you, not so much you felt achy afterwards with a cranky knee. I am feeling better after several days of lounging around so even though it's still hard to be so lazy I think it was the right decision. Both hips feeling better this morning and I think I'll get up and out of the house this morning. I do own other clothing besides nightwear, although you'd never have guessed it the last few days!

Holidays are now officially over so it's time to turn attention to the new year. Resolution #1: get these hips into fighting form! Resolution #2: in support of resolution #1, do not be an idiot and overdo it.

Hey, Hey, where art thou?
Hope you're not in the ODIC.
Haven't heard from you in awhile, I hope all is okay.
Wishing you a wonderful week!
@Bone-obo

Layla took the words out of my mouth. I get concerned about what you're getting into when we don't hear from you!

How are things going? What fun outings do you have planned?

Rumors of a gig at the ODIC are greatly exaggerated. (I had a standup comedy routine planned for ODIC amateur night, but it fizzled when my membership expired. Rumors of the content of that routine may have contributed to my expulsion...) I have, in fact, been very, very busy.

Last week, for example, I was busy feeling old. Very very old. Old old old old old, with a mildly achy knee, and my stoopid cane, and generally blah energy and frequent napping ... oh, it was a big ol' pity-party at the Bone-obo household, let me tell you! The first line on my personal diary for Thursday is: "Life sucks." Seeing that in print made me think that maybe, just maybe my thinking had gone off the rails at some point, so before I retired to bitterness and a rocking chair, I resolved to try something. First priority: the knees.

"Bone-obo Wife," I said to her. "I think I'm gonna call the PT folks and eat some crow to get this knee situation looked after."

But I'm stubborn and ornery and despise the aftertaste even the best-prepared crow leaves in the mouth, so I looked up knee exercises on the 'net instead, and set to work with a will, dipping and spreading and just generally sweatin' it up. And by Thursday afternoon, by golly, my knees were feeling better! My evening mall lap was still only .3 miles, but by the time I went to bed I was worn out in that mildly satisfied good way, and slept like a tiny baboo.

And lo! Friday morning the knee hurteth not, nor the hip, nor any of its family, and I walked the carpeted halls of mine abode unaided, abjuring the hated company of the Devilstick.

And. It. Was. Pretty darn good.

Still not good enough for outdoors (the mall walk was still stickifed) but definitely a step (ha!) in the right direction. And my total mallage (in discontinuous laps) went up to a mile. "Here I am, ODIC!" I cried defiantly. "Come and get me!"

Saturday morning they sent me a kneemail, so I chilled a bit, played video games, wrestled with work, and read. But for the first time in a week, my hip was sorer than my knee! Yay! Exciting! Pain where it's supposed to be! The unexpected excitement of the expected! Woohoo!

Sunday was Adventure Day: we drove to Washington, DC for the day, to see a play by one of my favorite playwrights, and eat at two favorite restaurants, one a Tex-Mex place right by the theater, the other an old-style NC BBQ shack in a small town on the road back. Even though the parking garage in DC was only a couple of blocks away from the theater, I used my cane, just to be sure I had the poop to walk it with no discomfort and no lingering afterburn. And that was the only thing that went as planned.

The Tex-Mex place had been converted into a pricey Spanish tapas bar with merely good food at exorbitant prices, the play was a disappointment that let its political message take precedence over its story-telling, plus it was so long that we couldn't make it back to the BBQ restaurant before it closed at 8 (!!!!). And at the end of a very long day, when Bone-obo Wife and I pulled into our driveway, shut the car off and looked at each other, we broke into grins, and agreed that, misadventures or not, the day was still fun!

Old age? Yeah, I don't think so. Today's Monday, and I've miles to go before bedtime.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
iriswest
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom