THR The fun part

The pain will come try to stay ahead of it. The nurses had a chart on the wall in my room with the times they gave the pills and when the next was suggested.

Welcome to the other side @Bone-obo ! Your focus should be on getting that pain management cocktail just right before you leave the hospital.

Here are your recovery articles to refer to if needed:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Congratulations and Welcome to Recovery! :welome:
Hope you're resting comfortably.
Will look forward to an update when you're all settled and your pain is well managed.
Wishing you a peaceful evening!
@Bone-obo

So glad you are all through.
Thanks for the update...hope they keep your pain managed and take good care of you.
:yahoo:

Many congratulations!! You might not find the pain gets a lot worse, but if it does, you know what to do. Welcome to the post-op world, brilliant.

Welcome to the other side. Great group of caring people here with lot of information and advice.

Random things: the OS leaves a cocktail of drugs in the joint to delay pain/swelling, and it works great - until it doesn’t. At the moment I can feel it slipping, but I’ve already had hydrocodone and Tylenol, so I hope that’ll hold the line at 2 or so. Fingers crossed! I’m icing like crazy - two ice bags going - and I’ve ordered dinner for calories.

I can’t remember anything about the surgery, even the spinal. I said goodbye to my wife and nada. Brain wipe.

So far this is way easier than the waiting - last night was a borderline anxiety attack! (I had a moment when I breifly considered bailing!!

The biggest issue is the dizziness when I stand. A nurse said she thinks the anesthesiologist was heavy handed - ALL her patients right now are dizzy and nobody’s able to stand more than a minute or so.

We’re ditching the hydrocortisone for this go-round to see if that’s affecting the dizziness and I’ll call if the pain starts to go out of control - right now it’s cruising at around 2-3. Very manageable. Very - walkable.

You might need to do some experimentation to see which drugs work for you. Some narcotics can cause nausea and dizziness. My pain was pretty manageable so I ended up going to 625mg tylenol. Some people tolerate the oxy and codeine very well.

It' such a relief for it to be over, isn't it? Now all you have to worry about is concentrating on healing!

Woke up around around 5am with pain at a solid 1, so went for a walk. Pretty gimpy, but made it about 60 feet before baby hip started to squall, so a World Record! The oxy-Tylenol combo works great, and confirms that the dizziness issue was most likely due to the a anesthetic.

I’m gonna spend my morning in a chair - that’s what the OS likes to see, and if I’m gonna be able to bust out of here I’m gonna have to put on a show. Fortunately, I’m not faking - I really do feel pretty dang good so far! There’ll probably be rough spots coming up this week, but ice is bestest buddy and I’ll stick with the pain meds as prescribed - no reason to challenge Murphy the trickster god.

Great news! Keeping the pain managed will certainly help you be mobile and I'm glad you've been able to stay iced down.
The hospital didn't automatically offer me any and I couldn't think to ask.
Home definitely made things more accessible Even though I felt anxious to go in such a vulnerable state.
So wonderful to be on your way to life with no hip pain:ok:

@Mojo333: that’s the great thing about this site - the advice and shared experiences. The nurses offered a bag of ice and I got greedy: I asked for two more! (I’m having to ice my knee, too. Again, thanks to info here, I knew to expect that. You guys rock SO HARD,)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GardenGram
Recent bookmarks