THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

pdlinda

Country
United States United States
13 days to go until my big day getting my right knee replaced!

I live alone and have excellent professional support; however preparing for my post op care and household functions has left me very tired. In addition, my GOOD leg has become very stiff to the point where I can barely walk. The consensus (nurse at OS office) and PT say leg is victim of compensating for bad knee and/or am"flare". In any event, I'm literally counting the days when I can be taken care of post surgery and not have to deal with all this discomfort while finishing the chores I need to take care of to ensure a smooth. Post-surgical transition home.

My situation is complicated by the fact that I take many supplements and digestive AIDS to manage my IBS condition and must stop ALL herbal products by October 1st.

I started to wean myself off everything today so I can see how to handle what I can eat without the things that work for me.

It's great to know I can air my comcerns and situation with my friends in the forum!!

@pdlinda just the wait can make you feel exhausted. Add to it all the preparations and nerves - well it's just not a fun time. The good news is you are almost there. Take it day by day and keep busy. No long now!

I went to see a rehab facility yesterday just in the event I need it post hospital. It was the 3rd one I toured. It had a wing for long term, a wing for cognitive (dementia) and a wing for short-term post-op care.

The staff was great;HOWEVER, I found the place to be very dingy and almost musty. There was an odor you get when you spray a commercial deodorizer in a room. The PT facility looked dated. The furnishings looked ancient.

In all, I got the sense (from all 3 places) that there were likely so many infectious "agents" swirling around every inch of the places, I decided it would be best for me to bite the bullet and pay for private duty nurses in my home for the first week post hospital and get my organic meals sent in each day for a week as well.

I now will start preparing all my "stuff" to take to the hospital. Want to avoid last-minute flurry of activity.

@pdlinda you will probably be fine on your own at home. I would avoid the depressing rehab facility and set up your recovery area in you own home. Many of us recovered alone and were just fine. If you have a friend, neighbour or relative who can look in on you once a day in the first week that's great. Private duty nurses are an option but I think you will find you don't need them everyday.

@pdlinda
I’m in pre op organisation mode too... making soup to put in freezer & dinners for hubby to take out & cook. I’m lucky to have his support.

I can understand your reluctance re the depressing rehab.... would make you feel nervous re infection... so much better in your own home...

Do hope you can get your pain under control before the op.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Hoppy Nanny

Thanks so much for your support.

This week I have to get on that food prep "train" now that I know I'll be heading straight home from the hospital.

I spoke to the nursing care team who will be assisting me for at least 2 weeks ( 2 24 hr days and we'll see what I need time-wise after that initial stage). They will also be transporting me to the hospital and home. Both rotating nurses lovely, qualified people.

Your husband's support and ongoing care is truly a blessing.

Let's keep in touch!

@jacey

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I do not have any family or friends who can look in on me. I have one neighbor; however she has multiple health issues of her own so IMO, is not reliable for my needs. That said, I agree with you. I'll have the RN stay the first overnight and then see what I need from there.

My insurance will send an RN and PT person to my home for 1 hr per day for as long as my OS says I need the care so I'm grateful for that service.

Again, your advice has always been so helpful to me. I really appreciate your input!

If I can manage this left leg pain (stiffness) for these last remaining days I'd really be so happy!!

So glad that you’ve got a plan in place.... not long now!! xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom