The countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rusty so glad you are back on track. Stay healthy!

Now I feel so prepared because by the time the August surgery date comes along, I will have nothing left to do but concentrate on recovery and taking care of myself.

I'm ready for this more that I was for the original June surgery date.

You will appreciate your prepping when the time comes. This surgery takes a toll psychologically as well physically and anything you can do now to reduce your stress level will help immensely after your surgery.

Good news, Rusty!!! I'm happy for you.

6 days to go and everything feels so "out of body"ish. I'm not starting any new projects and trying to finish current projects plus preparing the house for my return from the hospital. I'm trying to keep busy and not think about it. I've paid the bills for August, cooked food for the freezer and next I'm going to clean the house and do some much needed filing of papers that I really should throw out.

I have heard so many people recently say that I will be very glad that I made the decision. Hubby is quite supportive and says he will bring me all my favorite comfort foods during recovery. I've just said goodbye to my last piano student today and will resume teaching when I feel ready. I'm hoping I don't lose any students while I recover, but I can't do anything about it. One student is going to bring me 6 cd's of Chopin music to listen to---isn't that sweet? Another is planning on cooking her favorite pasta and serving it to me when I'm ready for company.

I've started taking a blood thinner and iron pills. Stopped taking aspiring, etc. No alcohol. So much to remember that I made a notebook listing everything I should be taking and when to take it.

Oh well.....this time next week, it will be all done and I will be resting in a hospital bed.

Not long now Rusty! Keep busy - it does help.

Just curious - did your OS tell you to take blood thinners pre-op?

Take care - we are with you all the way!

Yes, my OS prescribed 1mg wayfarin for 7 days prior to surgery. Also some type of body cleanser to use twice a day for 2 days prior to surgery.

That's a first for me! :scratch:

I can't believe there are only 2 more days left before my surgery. Strangely, I am excited and nervous at the same time. Friends have been calling to wish me a speedy recovery. A few nights ago, had dinner with some theater friends after an evening of building sets and costumes for our next show. Wine glasses were raised and well wishes were given to me. I was so touched by that.

When I first joined BoneSmart, I remember reading posts entitled "see you on the other side". Now I am ready to say the same thing. I have done everything I could to prepare for this event and I have full confidence in the skills of my OS and the staff of the hospital. Plus my husband is wonderfully supportive as are my two adult daughters. I go into this, nervous, but confident.

SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE

Rusty

Good luck Rusty I am rooting for you:yay:

Mary: Let me know when you have your surgery date. It shouldn't be too long, right?

Carousel: Thanks for being a cheerleader. I'll post after surgery when I'm feeling up to it.

Hey Rusty
Unfortunately I probably won't be having surgery before March of next year if they do it at all. Apparently Oncor is running the light at the end of the tunnel and the power to it keeps going off:sigh:. I met with the doctor for the pre ops only to find out he won't do anything till he scopes my knee. Then he will decide what he is doing. My scope is scheduled for 29 August. I have the story under my thread can dental problems affect knee replacement surgery.

Jo explained that some doctors like to see inside the knee before committing to surgery, which calmed my frustration. So I am hanging in there and will wait to see what the next step will be. I am hoping they stop asking me to jump through hoops because all this jumping through hoops is killing my knee :loll:. I expect you to take good notes for me on your recovery cause you will be the old veteran by the time I make it to the other side. Good luck and keep us posted when you are up to it.

Rusty,
I'm gonna highlight a few tidbits that I learned the hard way and may not have been mentioned. The meal the night before. Don't make it very large and don't eat too late. You want to eliminate that meal before surgery. After surgery, if they offer you a stool softener......take it. If it doesn't work, ask for something a little more forceful. You do not want to be blocked and some pain meds will bind you up, but good. If that happens in the hospital or at home and nothing works, try Magnesium Citrate liquid in a bottle. (refrigerate and drink like kool-aid) IT WILL WORK and is very safe. Trust me, bound up is more uncomfortable than the surgery. Good luck, you'll be out and recovering great in no time.

The Big Day is just about here, Rusty. Best of luck to you and I'll be looking for your first post in the recovery thread!!! Go get 'em!!!!

All the best tomorrow Rusty! See you on the other side!

Bill: That is great advice; one that I don't recall reading about. Sounds like something my Mom would have said (bless her soul). Thanks for looking out for me and sharing.

Thanks to everyone on Bonesmart for taking me under your wing and nurturing me for this big event.

I will post as soon as I am settled.

Hi Rusty, I am new here too, hoping someday (hopefully sooner then later that I will get both new knees, but I still have hoops to run thru for awhile.
I see I am a day too late to wish you luck on your surgery, so I will wish you luck on your recovery, I hope all goes well for you. I pray that your surgery did go well. When your up to it let us know how your coming along..take care...Sheryl:doggieshmooze:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie