The countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck at your pre-op Rusty. Please let us know how it goes!

Well, it was a busy day at the hospital for my pre-op appointment. Got a chance to ask a lot of questions. My husband and daughter were welcome to accompany me during all the sessions; we all had lists of quesitons. They took notes and helped me to remember the questions I needed to ask. In addition to donating my own blood, I had a physical, ekg, blood test, urine test and answered questions about my health. The physical therapist talked about what to expect. The case worker explained the whole procedure from beginning to the end including 2 or 3 weeks post op. Also discussions about the financial and insurance part of the process brought up questions which will involve a few phone calls from me. My doctor will use a general anesthesia with a femoral block. It all sound good to me. Today, life has quickly slowed down for me because I just finished music directing a 10-show musical theater production, my piano students were judged during the last two days and all that is left now is the piano recital on June 5 and then the surgery on June 8. I like being busy. Helps to keep me organized. Got a lot of well wishes from my theater friends. I think I am finally accepting my decision and almost looking forward to it?

I will use the next 3 weeks to get things in order before the surgery. Maybe making freezer meals, taking summer clothes out of storage, paying the bills and the estimated taxes..that sort of stuff.

Glad your pre-op went well Rusty. And it's so nice you had your husband and daughter there to support you! All the information at pre-op is sometimes a bit overwhelming. Having someone with you can certainly help as a reminder of questions and concerns.

My goodness you are going to be busy in the run up to your TKR! Well done - not long now!

I am glad to hear that the pre-op went well and that ou have had questions answered! Take your time and stay busy; it sounds like you have thought of a great deal in your plans and the freezing meals is a great idea.

Best of luck with the students and your upcoming TKR---please keep us posted as to how things are going.

Wow, with that schedule, you won't have any time to get concerned about surgery day, will you!!!! It will be here and over before you know it.

After reading many posts about PT, I'd like to see if I have the idea right....First job after surgery is to keep the swelling down using ice, elevation and rest. After that is under control, then start working on bending the knee, exercising. Which seems to imply that I should hold off on PT until I feel the swelling will not interfere with exercising. Do I have that right?

My surgery is June 8, 2011.

Thank you so much. I have read your link about exercises. A week ago, I had a pre-op visit at the hospital. One of the handouts was a dvd of prescribed exercises which I just watched. The exercises agree with your link. I'm going to work these exercises for the next 10 days until my surgery. Thanks again.

That's fantastic! Someone there must have been reading BoneSmart! :th_heehee:

Many of us, myself included, have fallen victim to the ulta-aggressive "no pain, no gain" rehab and exercise regimen. All of us have found out that it doesn't quite work that way. If you work too hard, your knee goes on strike, and the work stoppage causes yo to lag behind in recovery time. Keep the knee happy, exercise lightly, gently, and within your comfort zone, and you will progress---perhaps slowly, but you will progress.

When in doubt, ICE, ELEVATE, AND REST! REPEAT AS OFTEN AS NECESSARY, AND USE THE ICE, ELEVATE, AND REST AS YOUR MANTRA.

After reading posts regarding PT being aggressive and therapists doing "no pain-no gain" exercises, patients crying, knees rebelling, rom suffering, emotional damage, too, I was very concerned. But with feedback from BoneSmart, and seeing the dvd from my hospital, (and that they agree in content) I feel more confident and less scared. Seems like the approach my hospital takes is "less pain, more gain". I will be on the alert to follow this mantra plus Ice, Rest, and Elevation.

I have great friend and family support. Daughter gave me a bag of books to read during my rehab time. Several of my friends are TKA graduates and they are offering me supplies such as raised toilet seat, walker, shower seat, etc. Yesterday, my husband ran some errands for me and later in the day, I noticed several bags of peas in the freezer. Isn't he a sweetie?

Indeed he is - definitely a keeper!

And one very small correction, it's "NO pain more gain"!!!

Yes, of course....NO pain more gain"!!! I got lost in the wording but I will remember the correct wording, you can bet on that. That's a significant correction.

Thanks

Rusty....you've definitely GOT IT!!! You are well on your way now and you'll be starting that recovery program in no time.

Just got back from a 2 hour Pre-operative class held at New England Baptist Hospital. I made a quick decision to attend the class and was it ever worth it!! I realized how much I already knew but also how much I didn't know and how useful the new information was. My husband was so glad he attended. He learned a great deal and can be even more supportive.

We saw and held each component of the prosthesis, learned what each health personnel does during the surgery and after. Saw the bed and all its pulleys, etc. Learned about pain killers and told to stay ahead of the pain. When to ice, how long to ice, discussions about ROM, saw the white stockings that need to be worn for at least 2 weeks, demonstration on how to use the sock helper, chewing gum helps ward off constipation (not sure about that one!), what to pack and bring to the hospital, what not to bring. Leg compressions during recovery. Oh, so much and so relevant. I encourage anyone who has an opportunity to attend one of these classes.

Sounds like a good one!

What were the instructions they gave you about icing?

Good for you!!! I'm really glad you chose to go to the class. I think most people do learn something when attending these sessions....even BoneSmarties!!

Trying to read my handwritten notes.........Ice 20 minutes in every hour, 6 times a day. They mentioned that the knee may swell 1 1/2 times larger after surgery. Can gain 1 to 2 qts of fluid weight.

Adhesions form 7 to 10 days after surgery so it is very important to get the knee moving during that particular time frame to avoid adhesion problems. Prothesis weighs about 10-14 oz. Also mentioned that pain killer drugs can not be refilled; doctors can not fax some drug prescriptions. So it is in our best interests if we anticipate needing more pain killers to notify the doctor when we have about 10 pills left to allow for the doctor to call in the new prescription, etc.

Ice 20 minutes in every hour, 6 times a day
Very few of us on here adhered to anything like that! I iced for hours at a time as much as I felt like it and often went to sleep with the ice wrap on.
Adhesions form 7 to 10 days after surgery so it is very important to get the knee moving during that particular time frame to avoid adhesion problems.
Quite right - as long as you don't interpret that as meaning you have to go at it like a terrier! Some gentle flexion exercises like heel slides and walks around the house are quite sufficient. Stairs are good to and an exercise bike if you have one. Read this Some suggestions for home physio (PT)

I was taught during an athletic training course to ice 20 minutes an hour---but after a TKR, I boycotted that idea and sometimes would ice and elevate non-stop for hours.

Even during my time as a basketball ref, i would ice my knees after the game for more than 20 minutes.

I wouldn't worry about the 20-minute rule too much...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
shibbard
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom