The count down

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAB

Hi to all.

My name is Dave and I'm to have TKR on October 7th.
I will be honest with you all, I'm scared to death.
One question I do need answered. Is all Knee prostetics created equal. They are going to install a Zimmer. Hope it's the best, but trying to get an honest answer from your OS is impossable.

Dave, to be honest, I've said what I'm going to say so many times I'm thinking of having a rubber stamp made!

Truth is, there is no 'best' in joint replacement prostheses. They're all pretty much of a muchness in the end. The crucial factor is the surgeon. You have heard the old saying about tools and workmen - well it applies here too. Poor outcomes are hardly ever to do with the prosthesis - they are always to do with the quality of the surgery.

Read my post How to choose a surgeon and a prosthesis and be sure to ask your surgeon the questions there in before he does ANY surgery.

Finally - if there are any specific questions you want answers to,t then please fire away. Both I and the members will be only too happy to share our experience with you. Also read the threads in this forum and the other knee forum. It's so stacked full of real-life experiences you should have a pretty clear and accurate idea of what's in store.

Dave,

Don't worry about this, it will work out, trust me I went thru what you are going thru. These guys and gals are great and got me thru. I had BTKR starting with the right on the 25th of Aug. and had a little bad luck with the left and had two(2) surgeries starting on the 28th of Aug. and the second on the 4th of Sept. Both were the Zimmer NexGen and my OS who does nothing but knees and hips, insured me that, in her opinion, Zimmer was the best. I do agree with Jo, the OS is the most important part of the TKR.

Best of luck,
Rick

http://www.bonesmart.org/public_forum/showthread.php?t=1882

Hi to all.

My name is Dave and I'm to have TKR on October 7th.
I will be honest with you all, I'm scared to death.
One question I do need answered. Is all Knee prostetics created equal. They are going to install a Zimmer. Hope it's the best, but trying to get an honest answer from your OS is impossable.

Dave,
I have 2 Zimmer knees; one 1/26/08 two 8/26/08. The first Zimmer has made me the poster boy for TKR. It has performed flawlessly and devoid of any pain issues. The 2nd Zimmer knee is only 16 days old but after the normal recovery/rehab, I am sure it will match the first knee in terms of satisfaction. My OS is the ortho. for the NY Islanders and several local NY colleges and swears by Zimmer knees.

so many questions

Oh boy is that good to hear. How do you get around on your first knee? I mean what can I expect after say a year if I'm serious about the rehab. Does it feel like a real knee?
Can I say walk 18 holes with out finishing with that glass knee feeling?
Will I have to keep iceing this thing for ever?
Am I done taking those magic pills called anti inflammatories?
I have so many questions

Dave

Then ask away, my friend - that's what this forum is for and I very much doubt you'll have a question that hasn't been asked before!

How do you get around on your first knee? I mean what can I expect after say a year if I'm serious about the rehab. Does it feel like a real knee?

After a year you should pretty much forget that you have had a new knee. At the start you'll have some adapting to do because the sensory mechanism will have altered some so you'll feel a tad unsteady but that should only be temporary

Can I say walk 18 holes with out finishing with that glass knee feeling?

All things being equal, you should be able to do that. People have done more - continued with their skiing and all sorts. One of our members, referee, is a baseball ref (have I got that right?) and is now back to the sport full time, I believe. You see, the whole objective of the op is to restore to you your normal, pre-arthritic life as near as possible. Otherwise there wouldn't be much point, would there?

Will I have to keep iceing this thing for ever?

No!

Am I done taking those magic pills called anti inflammatories?

Yes!

the most remarkable thing about my first Zimmer knee 1.26.08) is that 98% of the time I completely forget that it is an prothesis until the fading scar reminds me. I have complete ROM and zero pain. I no longer ice it or take any meds for it. Now its younger brother (8.26.08)is only 17 days old and is on its way. To say that I am relieved that both surgeries were a success and the decades of knee pain are behind me is a great understatement. Follow Josephine and her wisdom and the life experience of those in the forums who have had whatever it maybe that you have. Post and your questions and anxieties will be put to rest. The place is a God-send.

oh man my attitude has totally changed from talking with you all. Thanks so much for all the good info. I have been reading and researching for so long and had run into boards that were totally negative. Talking about having pain years after the surgery and so many problems I was wondering what the heck I was getting myself in for. I know it's good to know what might possibly happen but the odds look in my favor for a good out come. I'm 52 years young and not ready to give up on life because of my knee problems. I'm now modivated and ready to get this dam thing done!! Bring on the rehab.

"Bring on the rehab" is the most important part of your recovery. As partners in your recovery, your PT team will help you (along with your very hard work) bring your knee back to its optimal state.

About those negative posts on other boards--- one thing to remember is that KR is not 100% successful for 100% of the recipients--- due to a number of factors (including how hard patients work at re-hab). BUT in most cases of successful KRs you don't find people posting on the boards months later because we are out living our lives---- which was the whole reason for having the KR in the first place! So I think the postings are "skewed" toward the negative.

On this forum a bunch of us "winter knees" enjoyed each other's company so much we have been hanging around and "giving back" and continuing to post all the while enjoying our successful new knees. Mine is great!

I wish you the same success! (but be ready to work hard for it!)

oh man my attitude has totally changed from talking with you all. Thanks so much for all the good info. I have been reading and researching for so long and had run into boards that were totally negative. Talking about having pain years after the surgery and so many problems I was wondering what the heck I was getting myself in for. I know it's good to know what might possibly happen but the odds look in my favor for a good out come. I'm 52 years young and not ready to give up on life because of my knee problems. I'm now modivated and ready to get this dam thing done!! Bring on the rehab.

I'm a summer knee, but I imagine I will pop in and out even when I reach that magical point of forgetting I have an artificial joint. It's important that people with positive outcomes continue to mention that periodically--it gives us new folks such encouragement. While Josephine is right about the anti-inflammatories for your new knee, you might need to continue them if you have arthritis in other joints as well. Many of us do.

Good points everyone has raised, especially the one about the selective membership. People with successful outcomes are not going to be searching for answers to imposed problems therefore the tone is bound to be mostly negative. I remember a time when that was the case here.

But somehow, we've forged a fantastic group (family) of people who realised this and have been a tour de force in turning this forum into one of hope, encouragement and support.

(Can you tell how proud I am of them all?
ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b286_flagady15_smilies_9d6fdc9c77.jpg
)

DAB, find yourself the best surgeon you can find and you won't be one of those on the other boards complaining..... We are all here to support you and answer your questions. Just know that the surgery is not the hard part......it's the recovery and Physical Therapy. Not only is it a painful recovery, but I think it's safe to say an emotional recovery as well. There will be times that you will ask yourself why you did this and why it's taking so long to recover. I'm 47 and have had both of my knees replaced in the last year and age has nothing to do with recovering faster. Actually, I think older people recover faster!

Yes, you will get rid of that glass in the joint feeling. Boy do I remember that! How great is that!?! Karen

I have no clue what knees I have, I may be the only person on this forum who doesn't know what kind of knee their OS used. I just know it is titanium and my OS's favorite and it works. THANK GOD!!!! I would have to agree with Jo though, I think the surgeon is the most important part of the equation. I will always have a little prayer to say each time I say my prayers for my surgeon. Dr. Mike Miller in Tucson Arizona is without a doubt my hero and many others as well. When people told me he was the best they knew what they were talking about. I asked a lot of medical people during the year before my BTKR who they would have do their knee replacement surgery if they needed and he was always who they said so that is who I went with and I am so happy I did.Only one person reccommended another surgeorn and she reccommended one of his partners. Amazing!!! Good luck. Rowdy

So I guess this would be the next Obvious question to ask. How do you find THE best OS in your area. It seems that you can't ask other doctors because they will never rag on there fellow brothers. How do I hook up with people in my area that have had TKR. I asked my doctor if I could talk with some of his current and former patients and they looked at me like I was crazy. I now understand why, They can't because of the patient private laws. Plus even if you could talk with a large group of people that have had TKR some are going to be good and some are going to be bad. The bad might be the OS's 1% of bad operations. How how did you guys find your OS?

One good source would be physical therapists. They work with TKR patients for months after surgery and can give you some good recommendations.

Physical therapists are great. Go into a few PT places and ask for recommendations. then there is always your primary care physician and any nurses you might know. You could even go to the orthopedic floor at the hospital where you are having your surgery and ask the nurses there who they would recommend. Don't mention any surgeon's name yourself--they can't comment on that. You could also check with any senior centers in your area--not nursing homes, but the places where activities are organized for seniors. Many communities have them. There are many people there who have had this surgery.

I thoroughly dislike the term "senior" since age its only a number and you're only as old as you feel... but that said, I'm 69 and my husband is 75 so I guess we qualify. We found our OS by word-of-mouth, just asking our friends and acquaintances. Since you're younger, I'd suggest you seek people out who are older (the market, the mall, the park, after a movie)... let them know you're looking for an OS and ask if they know someone who has had a TKR. Good luck! Sandy

I'm a senior, too. I've earned it, so I don't really dislike it. I only suggested senior centers because more older people have knee and hip replacements. If one needed to know the best place to get strange colors put in your hair, I would suggest a high school.

Sorry Gang,

But I prefer to be called a person of age, wisdom and knowledge and I am only 63yrs young.

Thanks,
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties