Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

TKR The ball is rolling, hopefully.

denn

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello all. It's a while since I last posted. I dod look for my last post to follow on but no luck.
Before lockdown I contacted my surgeons secretary to begin the process of a TKR, this time for my left knee.
I asked about my previous phone call to this line but nothing had been reported. The secretary said she'd see Mr Shah and get me back on the list.
I received a letter telling me all operations had been cancelled due to C19 but, they would contact me again when the situation was more clearer.
I received a phone call telling me Mr Shah would call me on Monday May 1st.
He called me explaining that at this time, with Covid still around he'd be very reluctant to perform the op. He mentioned that September would be the time when it would be safe. He asked about current medical status, I do have BP but controlled and Diabetes, controlled. Like before he gave me all the pitfalls without any positives to take on board. He said he'd be willing to offer me the chance to have another new knee but did stress on my weight. Last time he gave me the benefit of the doubt and successfully completing my right knee. This has never gave me any problems since. I have put on weight, for my first TKR i was 104kg but i currently weigh 112kg, heaviest I have been in years. Mr Shah did go on to say that when he sees me when they do the X ray he doesn't want to turn me down because of the weight situation. It is now up to myself to get the weight down. Since the Gym has been closed I have found it hard to train whilst in lockdown. The Gym will be open soon so, I will have no excuses.
Dennis

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Welcome back, @denn .
I know it's hard to lose weight when you can't exercise, but you may be able to drop a few pounds if you eat just a little less each day. You'll have to watch that with your diabetes, so don't try to cut back too fast - slow and steady is the way to go.

When/if you can get back to the gym again, concentrate on upper-body exercises, as leg exercises will hurt the knee that is waiting to be replaced.

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
@denn After my surgery in October 2019 I slowly started to gain weight then Covid 19 appeared and as I had to cook proper meals etc for my husband I carried on gaining to the point I noticed my new knee was most unhappy. A couple of weeks ago, I decided it was time to lose, as I'm not a gym fan, I basically try to walk outdoors and have now started intermittent fasting, once you get the hang of it, it is fairly easy and you see results quite quickly , of course you need to be careful what you eat but it's far easier than calorie counting.
Just check with your GP prior because of your diabetes.
As Celle said gym is not good for the knees, try and just do upper body workouts. If I can do it I'm sure you can too xx

OP
OP
denn

denn

Country
Thank you both for your kind replies.
I'm not advertising here but, I saw this on facebook and wondered if this is any good or just another selling point for manufacturers. Whilst I'm waiting for surgery something as such may help me become more mobile and assist in losing weight by exercising more.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
United States United States
@denn .... you're certainly welcome to give a product like this a try as you try and prepare for surgery, but please know that most of the time these things don't work when you have advanced arthritis. There really is nothing much that touches that bone-on-bone pain. I'm sorry to tell you that. I suggest you continue to push your surgeon for a date to at least get on the schedule. A knee replacement is most likely your best option.

Starsfan22

Country
United States United States
Keto/low carb Dennis. Good for diabetes too. I lost about 35lbs before surgery, 50 in a yr.

Tykey

big-cheese
Losing weight on your own in Lockdown is extremely difficult. I reckon most of us spend hours exploring fridges, cupboards, biscuit barrels etc etc for comfort food. I certainly do
It's a lot easier to do it together with a slimming group. My local Slimming World group can't meet up at the moment, but are continuing to help each other with virtual sessions using Zoom.

OP
OP
denn

denn

Country
Thank you for your kind replies.
Whilst I realise surgery is probably my only option, my surgeon in a letter explained nothing will take place before this virus leaves us. Until then he advised me to take pain killers on a regularly basis. Again, he warned me of the consequences of the operation which again frightens me. I know I came through my first TKR without problems, and sure my left knee will also be a success, his wording does give me the shakes.
I have received one of the knee braces and tried it, as you stated, I'm not too sure if it gives me any relief. I shall continue with pain killers and the brace until I eventually get the call for surgery.
Yours faithfully
Dennis.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Again, he warned me of the consequences of the operation which again frightens me.
Every procedure has its risks. But you have already seen the benefits of TKR. What makes you think your second TKR will be any different?

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Again, he warned me of the consequences of the operation which again frightens me. I know I came through my first TKR without problems, and sure my left knee will also be a success, his wording does give me the shakes.
Your surgeon has a legal obligation to warn you of these risks. Remember, though,that just because they are a possibility, they are not a probability. Most of the things he warned you about happen only rarely. They are not commonplace.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
1645phillips
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom