TKR Thatlldo's recovery thread

Thankyou Thatlido. I find your returning to your sports inspiring. My knees have stopped my from hiking and doing so many other things, I want to hike in the Adirondacks and bike again. You’ve inspired me. I’m 7 weeks out right noeans getting stronger.

@Hshdobb i really missed hiking. I’m so happy to be able to do it again. I hope I can get back to agility, right now I’m skeptical. My feet are really slow. It’s a lot of work to pull all the pieces together to be able to come back. Today is 4 1/2 months post replacement and I’m ahead of some and way behind some goals. I did some footwork drills and ran some tiny courses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well for only 4 1/2 months, looks like your getting it together. Right now, at 8 weeks, I can’t think of doing those agility exercises nor would I have the energy. I am making it to the gym at least 3x week and doing a variety of upper and lower body machines as well as a little spinning.

I'm running AAC. The knee is fine - not much bend (between 115 and 120), but very functional and strong. I feel it's doing ok, given the fact that I'm not 30 years old any more. You seem to be doing really well. I remember those stepping exercises and should probably start doing them again!

@Hshdobb Good for you! You're right where I was at 8 weeks out. I set little goals and then try to beat them and its really motivating for me. I still get super tired, which is new for me. Im a pretty active person all the time so being tired is weird. I just go with it. I work out hard and then rest hard, I even skipped working out today.

Almost at the 5 month mark. Last week was great, long trail hike, lots of workouts and a couple of 4 mile walks. Then on the weekend I went to my first agility competition since last Nov. It was a smaller event and I had no expectations. Just entered as an information gathering session. We haven't really practiced so we were both rusty but the new knee was spectacular. I was actually able to kind of run. And we won 2 classes. 2 long days of moving around at the event and a bunch of courses and both knees felt great. I think the biggest challenge I had with running is that I'm a little overweight. Couldn't sprint very well. Woke up today and everything still felt awesome. No swelling, no complaints of any kind. Worked a long day, running around the entire time came home and took a 40 minute walk with my dog. Cannot wait to see what I can do when I'm further along the healing process. Sent my PT and my surgeon an update and a thank you for getting me here.

Wow, that is awesome!

No way can I do that on my partial at 2 years out!

Thanks :) @Jockette Well last year after the first knee I knew I could run courses at about the 3 month mark. This knee I have been more skeptical of, it did ok but I still have a lot of work to do.

And I live to watch those, the dogs seem so happy!

New knee number 2 turns 6 months old at the end of this month. Working out at the gym earlier this month I suddenly realized I just felt normal, for a long moment I didn't notice I had a new knee. This past week we went up to lake Tahoe. We went to the wild side in nevada and spent every day hiking a couple of miles down a long trail to the lake and then scrambling over granite boulders and swimming in the lake all day. The way out was a another long hike straight up. It was amazing to be out there living my life again. The only thing I wasn't ready to do was stand up on a paddle board lol.

Attachments

• IMG_8910.jpg
    IMG_8910.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_8931.jpg
    IMG_8931.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_8992.jpg
    IMG_8992.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_9009.jpg
    IMG_9009.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_9046.jpg
    IMG_9046.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 223
Beautiful pictures! I’m glad you were able to do all that.

Thanks @Jockette Tahoe is magically beautiful and the Nevada side is way less developed. We saw very few people. I felt so lucky to be able to be out there doing what I love. I forgot to bring my hiking poles and I was happy to find I didn't need them at all.

That’s awesome, and with a 6 month old knee! You are very blessed.

I love seeing nature and how majestic it is, away from the hustle and bustle of lots of people.

Got home from our trip on friday and I went to an agility competition yesterday. Thought I might be too wiped out from all the hiking but I had no problem running the 4 classes I had entered. Came in 2nd place in steeplechase out of a huge group of dogs with a fast time of 32.43 on a tricky course. Had to rethink my handling on every course because for the first time in many years I was able to run hard. My dog is so used to working at a distance from me and for the first time we were really racing each other. Back to the gym today so I can continue to get strong.

That’s amazing!:wowspring:

Don’t get too far ahead of yourself though, maybe you should do a rest day today. You sure don’t want a set back. Been there, done that. :gaah:

@Jockette :) Thanks for the reminder. Im really good about resting but I would have a hard time not hitting the gym or doing some kind of workout every day. Even if its just 30 minutes on the elliptical my head (and body) will thank me for making the effort.

Right back at you @trailspud . I just started reading through your post. Totally inspiring. The surgeon who did both of my knees has said to me each time "this is your knee now, we want you to use it. Enjoy your knee, go do fun things with it". I took that to heart and Im looking forward to what I get to do in another 6 months.

What an amazing recovery you are having and your dog pics are beautiful.

Thanks sistersinhim, my dogs and tahoe are both easy to take pretty pictures of so I cant take credit. This knee has been a lot of work compared to the partial I had on the other knee last year. I would say almost 3 times slower to hit benchmarks and a lot less of a "normal" knee than the partial. But the good news is the extra effort this knee is requiring is going to get me way more fit than I have been in years. Running courses yesterday was pure joy and I felt so much stronger than just a few weeks ago. Im still smiling.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom