THR Thanksgiving Hip

bethsail

Country
United States United States
Happy Thanksgiving!
After the #2020dumpsterfire, I’m getting a Holiday present of anew left hip. I’ve been through two successful knee replacements in 2018, but nothing hurts like this hip! Mine will be an anterior procedure. Any insight on post op is welcome, how it is different than the knees, pain swelling, rehab, etc.

thank You!

beth

@bethsail What is your surgery date and which hip? I'll update your signature for you.

I have not had knees done but from what my colleagues tell me here - hips can be an easier recovery. They don't need any PT - just walking. Rehab is much the same as knees - ice, elevate and take your medication around the clock, as prescribed.

I'll tag my colleague @leejaa . She has had both knees and hips done - a real bionic woman!

Hi and welcome. We'd love to have you date so we can help cheer you on.

@FCBayern has had knee replacement also...maybe he can lend his thoughts on the differences.

Hi @bethsail :flwrysmile: I personally found THR to be a walk in the park compared to TKR. With my knee at 6 weeks I was still taking some pain meds, with the hip after 2 weeks it was nothing but Tylenol. Even during the first 2 weeks which can be a little rough I could tell that terrible grinding hip pain was gone! Recovery pain seems easier to deal with for me, you know it's going to get better while the arthritis pain just gets worse and worse. Don't get me wrong, THR is still major surgery but compared to a knee or shoulder the pain factor doesn't last nearly as long. In my case I had THR about 10 months after TKR and my knee actually made some real improvements after THR. I think my gait was still messed up by the hip and everything was happier to work the way it was designed. I did no PT after knee or hip, just walking and daily activities of life. Good luck and come back often for support and advise. I think you will be very happy with your results.

The hip recovery is much easier than the knee and my knee recoveries were excellent with no major issues. I found the hips hurt a lot more before the surgery than after the surgery. As with the knees, lots of icing and elevation will keep swelling down and help with recovery. A slow and steady approach worked for me.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562