THR Thankful for the Hip Recovery Forum

Plenty of time later on if you feel they are helpful.
No to the clamshells!

Hello, thanks for the update!
You're doing well at seven weeks. Making progress for sure.
Take it slow and easy with the exercises and enjoy the weekend!
@jonni8

Hi I am on my way to completing my 10th week post op. I have been to three (3) PT sessions. I have 9 exercises. One of the exercises is a forward movement of the operated leg in a resistance band (green). Hip Flexion w/tubing-knee bent. I had to quit performing that exercise as it really hurt my groin and I have been recovering for two days. Getting in and out of my car really hurts my groin as well. I have also noticed that on my operated leg my foot supinates during the night and rest times. When I try to get up I am soooo stuff and sore until I walk it off. I hope that this is not my future.
Does anyone have any solutions regarding the supination (foot rolls outward) as to how I can correct this thus less pain? Thank you and good to share with those who care.

Tomorrow will be my 11th week. I gave up the tubing and resistance bands. I did mention this to my PT who still insists that I do bridges and squats. In regards, to the foot supination I have done some of the exercises, but most of all I have rolled a little towel to support my foot from rolling outward at night. Works wonders. I do the exercises freely.
The weather has turned for the better, more sunshine less rain. I have started walking (with my cane, in the event of..) I head outside everyday, and have managed to increase my steps by 500-600 per day. I am now up to 2.2 km or 1.86 miles. I feel soooo much better. My groin has finally dissipated, just a twinge if I sit to long and a bit stiff in the morning until I walk “it” off. I have tried to sleep on my side, and do not last for long; even though I am a side sleeper. I guess it’s other muscles “waking” up as I have been sleeping on my back for 11 weeks. I tried to graduate to the power sofa or love seat recliner. The power recliner(s) are of very good quality. Back, lumbar and head support.Again, my muscles get sore as I was sitting in an office chair for 11 weeks as well. I will be sending my walker and crutches back to the Red Cross Loan Program (equipment) tomorrow, but hang onto the cane for a few more weeks. I just use it outside. I wanted to use my walking poles, but the PT discouraged my thought. Not sure why.
Thank for the insight of advice and good to share with those who care. Keep calm and carry on.:spin:

What a great update! Thanks for taking the time to share, you're doing welll!

Please proceed with caution with the Bridges and Squats. Your PT can't make you do anything you don't want to do. Bridges and Squats aren't recommended in early recovery. Bridges are a core stability exercise and they put a great deal of pressure on the hip joint and soft tissue and muscle in an area that has been recently traumatized through the major surgery of a THR. Squats are also tough on a new hip. Muscles and tendons that have atrophied pre-op can be over stressed doing deep squats.

Keep up the good work and stop by and share your progress on ocassion. We look forward to hearing from you again. Have a great weekend!
@jonni8

:wave: you sound to be doing very well!!!!
I gave up the tubing and resistance bands.
Whew! So glad...plenty of time to strengthen and tone later if you feel it is necessary.

did mention this to my PT who still insists that I do bridges and squats.
I don't like your PT

In regards, to the foot supination I have done some of the exercises, but most of all I have rolled a little towel to support my foot from rolling outward at night. Works wonders.
That's wonderful, going to mention it to my mother who has these issues.

I wanted to use my walking poles, but the PT discouraged my thought. Not sure why.
I don't like your PT:giggle:

Keep the faith....month four was my biggest:yes!:moments!

Hope you have a good week.:roseshwr:

Hi All
I am at my 5th month (22Nov) recovery since surgery 05Jul/19. The groin pain is gone. I am walking about 5 km a week along with a very good weight bearing, strength training program, includes squats and resistance bands at the Senior centre 2 X a week. I am cycling on the recumbent bike 2X a week for about 15 minutes per. I still need to strengthen my legs more . I am very careful concerning hip precautions especially when selecting chairs and toileting to ensure that they are not too low or uncomfortable. I very rarely break the pre-cautions A question that I do have is: when in bed I am lying on my non-operated side with my operated leg stacked properly, my non-operated leg get soooo sore to the point that it is stiff and difficult to turn over. When I do, on my back I need to bend my knees to get relief. Same scenario when I am lying on my operated leg (no pain) the non-operated leg is stacked properly and it gets so sore. The inside part of my knees get sore and red. I have tried a towel between my kbees, it slips and is uncomfortable. I flip around on the bed like a fish out of water and am tired in the morning and don’t want to go to the bed in the evening due to the night I will have. Has anyone encountered thus? Any suggestion? Is it because my muscles are to weak to support the weight and why just the non-operated leg?
Another sensitive concern I/we (DH) have is perhaps the forum can direct us to various intimate (sexual) positions we can try? Missionary has been our go to however I & DH are nervous about how much weight can the “new” hip bear.
Thankful for this forum and the wisdom/guidance in it.

The inside part of my knees get sore and red. I have tried a towel between my kbees, it slips and is uncomfortable.
Have you tried a pillow between your knees? Might offer a bit more padding.

One question for you - did your surgeon put you on permanent hip restrictions?

Here's an article from our Library on Sex talking about sex after hip surgery.

Yes and as mentioned the pillow slips around l will try a towel. Thanks.
The surgeon suggested six months.

Oops got the towel and the pillow mixed up. must be tired.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom