BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Thankful for the Hip Recovery Forum

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by jonni8, Aug 12, 2019.

1. jonni8

jonni8 new member

Canada Canada
    I am 5 weeks post operative. RTHR 05Jul2019 Anteo-Lateral. Very cautious and careful of all hip precautions. Having stated this is why I am thankful that I found this forum. I am always overthinking every move that I make. Doing so creates a fear of dislocating my hip. At this forum I do not feel alone on my hip recovery journey, many of my questions are answered here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. julesglass

julesglass graduate

United States United States
    Hello @jonni8. This is the best for us hippies. I had my second shortly after you. Being cautious on moving is important even after restrictions are lifted. I put my cane down once and started to pivot on my op leg :yikes: leg said "What are you doing to me!" Anyway there does come the times you do something and you go, wow that's cool I can do that now. You and I are both at the point of no restrictions coming soon. Are you getting around fairly well? I've been able to navigate the kitchen without the cane now, however not getting around the house yet. Definitely not stairs or outside. Glad you're here, keep on keeping on.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  3. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery. :welome: Thanks for joining us!
    You've come to the right place for support and encouragement. Please try to relax and not be so worried about dislocation. If you're moving slowly and carefully within these early weeks and are following any restrictions you received, you should be okay. I'll leave the Recovery Guidelines which I believe you'll find beneficial.
    Stop back often with questions or updates, we'll be here! :wave:
    Wishing you all the best as you continue the journey.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @jonni8

4. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

Not a bad thing to overthink every move. It's better to err on the side of caution after all of this you don't want to screw it up.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    Hi. You must be close to seeing your OS for the 6 week check up when they usually remove the restrictions and you are able to view the x-rays and the work done. How has your recovery been so far?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. jonni8

jonni8 new member

Canada Canada
    Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement.I have an appointment with the OS on Friday. Probably with PT as well. It was suggested that I continue to use my walker for the full six weeks, however at times to my surprise l walked right out of it. I have not attempted any stairs, just the three leading to the back landing. Use crutches once.We have a bungalow. I would like to get cleared for driving, though I am a bit nervous. My initial recovery is going well however, I have a very sore groin lately. Probably due to increased activity more standing, walking and less bed time. I have eased off of my exercises. I was prescribed 10 exercises work up to 30 reps per 2X a day . My calculations were 600 movements per day. I believe that I many have overworked the groin whilst I was trying to exercise the non-operated leg forcing more weight on the operated leg. For now rest, ice and meds. I feel that my recovery level is where I am suppose to be. I have learned “take your time “ . My mother used to say “ be patient or be a patient”.
    Trusting all is well for all that are recovering.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    :yikes: Wow - way too much. All that hips really need is walking and then not to excess. I'm very glad you are backing off all this and taking the BoneSmart approach. It's tried and tested and it works. I hope the pain eases very soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Layla

:yikes: Wow, is right! I agree with Jaycey. Please give yourself a break.
    Ice several times per day, 40-60 mins, no less each time. I'll bet with ice and rest you'll be feeling better soon.
    I like your mom's saying. I might steal it....and run :bolt:
    Be on the lookout :skep: It may pop up here as advice to another over achiever. :heehee:
    Have a great day!
    @jonni8

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. jonni8

jonni8 new member

Canada Canada
    Thanks for the advice. Consider it done. Round one: Two squares of chocolate, two xstrength Tylenol and 40 minutes on the clock. Quite a few of my co-workers would frequently use my mother’s saying around the office It’s so simple. Run with it.
    I’ll keep you in the loop.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. jonni8

jonni8 new member

Canada Canada
    Hi My pain in my groin has subsided. It is very manageable.Dull ache. Stiff in the morning. The protocol helped, however I can’t believe how many times both of my knees click now. Could it be caused by me attempting to not use my walker for small ventures? Yesterday, I may have sat too long, not aligned my operated leg properly whilst winning scrabble with DH nor getting up to walk as much as I should have.
    This caused a painful pinch of on the inner side of my operated knee, it was like a nerve was caught. I tried to walk it off, do a few gentle hip kicks, and marching on the spot . I took two xstrengh Tylenol and ice, went to bed. It has passed. Very sore back. Not a back sleeper afraid to turn over on my side in case I twist . I feel like a slab of meat lying on my back. DH and I have a good laugh when I refer to myself as a slab of meat since I’m a butcher’s daughter .lol. I used to get those type of “attacks” when I had a desk job and drove a standard car. Too much inactivity and stress on the Pre-Op OA leg. I feel like I need a chiropractor adjustment. Dr. appointment tomorrow. OS is a back doctor besides knee and hip. I realize that this too may pass but sometimes I feel like this hip is like an errant child sometimes. Always walking on eggshells. Lol.
    Trusting all is well with all in the forum, again thankful to be able to share with those who care.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Calgal

Calgal senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You sound like a very conscientious hipster. :thumb: Goodt to be mindful but not overly paranoid of movements. Your body will likely speak to you if you tweak it beyond its comfort zone too soon. Will be interested to hear what your OS says at your checkup. Take care and stay positive!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    Sounds like so much. My PT tailored my exercises Said do 5x and twice a day--there were about 7 exercises. I am in rehab now and there is more and different but I am walking without devices and went for 3 blocks today without. But the reason I am doing without is because of hand problems so I am forced. The groin gets looser with time and so do the thigh muscles. I want to do aerobics for arthritics tailor -made but I have to get the other issue seen to. Take it easy --do stuff but feel what is good for you.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. jonni8

jonni8 new member

Canada Canada
    Went for my 6 week follow up with the OS and PT. Prior to seeing him I had a visit with the PT. She checked my walking gait. My ROM has increased from date of hospital discharge of 41 degrees to 71 degrees. I can transition from the walker to a cane. I was carefully transitioning the week prior to my visit. The PT checked my reflects, and lifted my driving restrictions. I drove to pickup a pizza for the football game. I did receive a referral for PT a free assessment and 6 appointments. The centre that I will be going to is by my house and the owner is a wife Of an OS . My OS looked at my scar and stated that it was perfect. I mentioned the groin pain and he stated that it should ease by month 5 or 6. Less prevalent now that I am increasing my walking. I also mentioned my electric jolt in my knee and as I declared the OS agreed that I should have adjusted my alignment whilst sitting and gotten up to walk around a lot more. I will still adhere to hip precautions, if I do break a pre caution I am to ensure that I do break only one ie bending down not fully just to knees but not more than one in a row. I can now sleep on either of my sides, before it was non-operated side only. I can sit in my recliner; I tested it out yesterday when DH was home and I am not ready yet. No pedicure for another six weeks but can clip nails. DH shaved my legs with my electric leg shaver. Maybe in the next two weeks. OS would like to see me again in a year, however I can call the Bone and Joint Centre if any others concerns come up. Again trusting all is well with others in the forum and I am thankful to share with all who care.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Layla

Hi :hi: Happy Monday to you!
    Wonderful update. Thanks for sharing.
    It sounds like things are progressing nicely for you as you're healing.
    Wishing you all the best as you continue on the journey. :walking:
    @jonni8

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Great progress :yes!: and all will keep getting better and better.
    Slow and steady DOES win this race!
    All temporary, and to a great end.
    Hope the rest of your week is sweet!
    :tada:

16. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 senior

Great news! Its funny I had the same approach for surgery but no restrictions
    It was calked minimally invasive and incision supposed to be 4 inches long
    I do have to use my he walker for a week as the implant is uncemented so I am aware of not putting undue stress on leg
    Isnt it funny how surgeons have different protocols? I think they all work and for rach surgeons practice they are time tested successes
    PT. I trust PT that my OS recomnends but no other, because my OS effectively has a team all on the same page

17. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    Great update and sounds like you are way on the recovery road. My groin pain eased up at week 6 but stiffness continued but alas I had another setback unrelated to hips and put that progress on hold for another 3 weeks but will continue with exercises. I was allowed to sleep on both side not that I did but I could and did at about 4 weeks which led to more insomnia--go figure ROM sounds fabulous and driving-- bravo. Onward and upward.