Bilateral TKR Thank you

Thanks. Didot
The toughest part of dealing with this by myself is questioning “is this normal” I appreciate your words.

Ps down side of icing both knees is that I am so cold at night I sleep with extra jammies, socks slippers and my housecoat... feel like I’m living in the artic... haha

That was one of the benefits of my own recovery being in the late Spring and Summer.

@Claud, respect to you for going for bilateral whilst living on your own. It’s a tough enough recovery just getting one done with a hubby hovering in the background( albeit 8 days in and I think he’s getting a bit fed up with his housekeeping duties:loll:) keep up your good work, you’re doing fantastic so far.

Thanks lill215
Anyone who under goes TKR be it one or two have my complete respect
It’s quite a journey.
I have good friends who keep in touch and would come to my side in a heart beat. So I’m ok.
Taking care of myself Ie. making my food is at times all the PT I need
I am in a house that has another family in other part of the house but for me I’m on my own
That’s ok because if I make a mess cooking I don’t care as long as it’s eatable. Biggest draw back is company but I know by next month I will be driving....so watch out world here I come.
Take care of yourself, your the only you. You have!

@Claud you're doing amazingly well, not sure I could that on my own, especially bilateral. Glad I'm not the only one who finds the constant icing makes them cold all over. My husband keeps complaining he's too hot!

@Claud, your positive, “I can do this” attitude is what is giving you the edge on the recovery battle. Keep it up. I’m looking forward to seeing your first post later this Spring where you have succeeded in doing something you couldn’t do before surgery!

Is this stiffness normal two weeks out
Any tips on helping resolve issue
If someone experienced the same then how long did it take for it to go away.
Oh yes, that stiffness lasts for quite a while. Mine finally mostly went away at about 5-6 months. It's swelling, inside and outside that causes the stiffness. The best thing you can do is to elevate and ice. That helps to keep the inflammation down which keeps the swelling down.

The toughest part of dealing with this by myself is questioning “is this normal”
Read as many threads as you can and you'll find out what is normal. All you are going through now is completely normal. As a matter of fact, you'll better than normal!

Guys thanks again
Any positive “get Er done” attitude i May express is me feeding off all your positive vibes and info !
Even though I may be alone during day going thru this, I read your comments and I don’t feel alone.
Again .....thank you

In the early days I always used to picture bonesmart as being this massive hospital ward and all of us newbies laying in our beds chatting and complaining and the moderators were the nurses that would come in with med carts and dole out their wisdom. Was nice having so many people in the same situation to keep bouncing off of definately. Then slowly we all get discharged to outpatient and then just stop coming.

Had a strange development a day ago.
I have been doing my exercises, walking ,icing, elevating.
When I got up from a chair and I got a sharp pain at the top of my L knee cap. It was so sharp (8-9)that I sat right down thinking I tore something open.
I have taken it easier today , elevating and icing the knee.
Right now it has calmed down but when I walk I can still feel (4-5) in the background. It also has a minor burning sensation
I’m letting my knee rest today and tell PT when they come by tomorrow.
I don’t think taking a day or two resting it won’t hurt my ROM

Anyone have this sudden out of the blue pain when rising?

Thank you

Oh ya! The ice pick is crazy. I’ve had that ripping tearing feeling and happens when my quad was so tight and I tried to flex

There are a lot of weird and wild sensations you are going to experience. It never ends!

Thanks. Tracey’s

The pain still there today
It’s right under my knee cap
I hope the resting helps it
From sitting when I try to raise my lower leg it feels like a knife is stabbing behind my patella
Well today’s a non productive day
Maybe tomorrow a step forward

Ooh, I had that pain in my kneecap from Day 2 whenever I tried to lift my lower leg, move a bent leg or stand from sitting if my leg was at 90 degrees or less, really felt as if something was going to tear. It lasted a couple of weeks. I get a milder version of it occasionally, but nothing like before. I hope yours resolves quickly.

Thank you lindylee

It hurts so bad it feels like it burns.
Right at the patella
I’ve been easy on it and can’t bear flexing my knee. Walking not too bad but dam using it even in the slightest to get up is totally out of the question

I’m seeing PT today and see what their thoughts are.
I hope your right and it will repair and go away in a week or so.
Wierdest thing is that it’s coming from my left knee which was the better of my two knees pre op.

What did you do to help it go away ?

I recommend is icing it as much as you can. Mine burned, too. It was so annoying. It's a stage it's going through. One day you'll notice that it's not even there anymore! There are numerous different aches and pains with this surgery. You get past one and then it seems another one pops up.

Good on you @Claud i really take my hat off to you going home alone. I went to rehab for 2 weeks after 5 days in hospital!
I can't even imagine having to do everything for myself at your early stage.
I think you are coming up for 3 weeks post op.
I remember that i was still freezing for another few weeks. I wondered if I'd be warm again. I don't think it was to do with icing more like shock, i thought.
I chuckled when you talked about needing to know about food...i couldn't bear the thought of eating for a few weeks, (i sent many a tray back uneaten) and even after that i would get nauseous and could eat...was great for weight loss:sick:.
I hurt things slightly sometimes and couldn't lift my leg onto the lounge or the bed etc, but it would only last a few days. I hope you are ok soon.
Take things slowly and dont expect to much of yourself too soon.
Go girl you're doing great.
Carol

Thanks Carol

I’ve been doing better. I went to see my surgeon last week out as I was worried about the sharp pain I had in my left knee. He checked it out and said I was fine and just over working things. He was amazed at my progress being that short of time.
I’m in week 3 today. Left knee pain gone. Right knee pain minimal, mostly pain in my Right hip replacement which I think is trying to still find its new address in the the new body lay out.
I still ice but for me when I get the stiffness around my knees. I hold off on the ice and instead use an electric muscle messager pt recommended. I put my hand over the incision area and then use the messager above on quad and below on hamstring and calf for about a minute. OMG. The stiffness goes down dramatically. Then i ice a bit if needed. I discovered that if not swollen icing contracts muscles...walla tightness ! But if there is swelling I definitely ice.
I don’t know about anyone one else, but for me it’s another tool in my arsenal.
I exercise daily and try to get a mile walk in, back and forth in the house as it’s 20* outside . But other than putting a rut in the floor I’m doing ok.
I drove myself to Dunkin’ Donuts for my Carmel lata....withdrawals ....
Oh it tasted sooo good....
ROM. About 118 - 120 and flexion 0.

Looking back so far (I know I’ve got a long way yet to go) I am so glad I walked and exercised in prep for this surgery. I know I couldn’t have done it by myself if I had not

We’ll see the dr in next week...
be safe all

Best wishes
Claudia

Woohoo!! :happydance:

That is so good to read such an update! Glad you got your latte fix. We don’t have Dunkin here in Canada so I have to load up when I’m down there in the fall. Honey stick and caramel latte.
:roseshwr:

@Claud, fantastic update! You are an amazing inspiration to anyone considering a bilateral TKR, especially since you are doing it on your own. Don’t let the little aches and mysterious pains get you worried or down. They come and go and are usually nothing of concern. They crop up either because you did something unusual/different, over did it some, or simply the nerves healing and reconnecting.

Keep up the great healing work you are doing.

Thanks so much guys

I have my down days and broke down a cried one night bymself.
Then I read my notes about my progress when I had my hip done and had a down day then. It’s all part of the process I guess.
I keep a journal which I have read over and over and only then really see the progression forward that I’m making.

The positive landmarks in rehab are there but I guess I’m one of those people who has to read what I have done and not get lost in the moment.

Onward and upward
☀️

Claud

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back