Bilateral TKR Thank you

Remind me of that when the serious rehab work kicks in
There should be no serious rehab. Doing what you are doing now, especially with your being alone, will get you plenty of exercise. That is PT without a therapist telling you what to do. It worked fine for me foe 11 knee surgeries! As you start to feel better you will naturally do more walking. That is the best PT there is for your knees! @SusieShoes, tell her about your walking program.

It’s true. My OS says walking is the best rehab, and he provides all his patients with a walking program. The goals are appropriate to stage of recovery.

Though I did a few weeks of PT mostly to get out of the house, I focused on the walking. Just circuits around the house at first. At a month I started walking outside by walking down my driveway and back. Three times a day.

A few days later I walked the driveway and the sidewalk to my neighbor’s driveway and back. Every second day I walked farther. The next driveway, then the next. And back. It’s always twice what it sounds like. Twice a day.

After a few more months I was walking two miles a day. Once a day. And I went for longer walks from there.

The main thing is the program was gradual. I was very deliberate about adding distance in small increments at first. Later I would add longer distances to test my limits. But not at first. The first months were a little at a time.

At no time were my knees in pain from this walking. Other things, yes, like the time I made a reflex leap to escape a dog. And also from PT a couple times early on. It’s all on my thread. But never hurt just from the walking.

My rehab was fun and easy. My knees are almost two years post-op, pain-free, strong, and have great ROM. Walking works.

Last edited:
Hi, Claud. Welcome! I agree with everyone else about snacks. I found that fruit was good to keep handy. I also have Nature Valley bars and Girl Scout cookies handy for when I don't feel like being "good". I worried about weight gain because I put on 15 lbs after my surgeries in 2013-2014. I've lost 2 lbs during this recovery probably because my appetite was gone for the first few weeks. I imagine I'll find it again soon enough.

My only other advice is to make sure you have enough to occupy your mind. The days can last forever if you're not keeping your mind busy.

Well it’s officially 1 week 1 day From BTKR. surgery

The burning and stinging in my left knee has diminished but still there
My right knee is still very swollen and stiff. Ice ice ice
My ROM is about the same from Tuesday

But the big issue was this am when I was trying to make myself breakfast I started to get very fussy and confused (I call it stage one to a pass out) then stage 2 kicked in - cold sweats . I immediately sat down and drank water and ate a slice of toast... did not get into stage 3 (lights out) but I felt I was close.
I just sat still and drank water.. it passed and I went to my recliner
By the time PT came to my place I was better. My BP was low but going up
We did simple walking and she demanded I rest today as she figured I did too much yesterday. She said listen to your body—-just like you guys say.

Today just did simple walking and up and down a couple of steps
That’s it. Except for elevate and ice.
I am still amazed at how low my pain is in respect to the pain I had 4 months ago for my hip replacement rehab.

Mind you I’m not complaining
But I think with that in mind I did too much yesterday.
Live and learn
Don’t want to water off my new knees early in our journey as we are going to be hanging out together for a long time....

@Claud,

You seem to be doing great after a bilateral. And on your own, too.

Maybe if you drank a big glass of water before you got up, that would help. We all get a little dehydrated during the night and with the trauma of surgery, it’s no wonder you came close to passing out. Not sure how much blood loss you had during surgery, but that would decrease your circulating volume in your body and cause your BP to be low.
Just a thought.

One quick question
I’m 8 days post BTKR. I am still elevateing and icing my knees with the polar machines all day long.
Does everyone still ice all night long as well...
Please advise

Great idea Gia
I drink during the night
But getting a good amount down just before I get up makes sense
Thanks

I iced all night long for at least 6 weeks or more. It kept the swelling and pain down considerably. When the water started to warm up my knee would start hurting and wake me up. I'd replenish the ice bucket and go back to sleep as soon as my knee cooled back down and the pain lowered.

Thanks sistersinhim
I will continue to ice day and night for the months to come. whenever I’m not using them.
It’s a pain getting frozen bottle swaps at night...but it’s worth it in the long run ! Or should I say walk

It’s a pain getting frozen bottle swaps at night...but it’s worth it in the long run
Oh yes, it's well worth it! Ice feels so good it's almost sinful! :heehee:

How long a break between icing does anyone do
My Pt said ice till pack get warm then rest knees to increase blood flow for healing for about an hour or two then back to icing.

How does this sound to all?

I’m still making amazing progress
I noted my right hip area is aching a little. It was replaced 9-27-18
I think the hip is just a baby and is now trying to find its correct alignment with my two new knees

Any input on that ?

Have a wonderful day guys !! ☀️

My Pt said ice till pack get warm then rest knees to increase blood flow for healing for about an hour or two then back to icing.
Josephine usually advises to ice 45-60 minutes, preferably 60, and at least 3-4 times a day. Overnight is good, too.

So I would think this plan sounds good. You can also tweak it to your comfort level.

I noted my right hip area is aching a little. It was replaced 9-27-18
You are absolutely right, your hip is still in healing mode. Added to that everything is trying to settle post BTKR.

Sounds like your recovery is going very well!

she demanded I rest today as she figured I did too much yesterday. She said listen to your body—-just like you guys say.
Smart woman!
Please advise
I iced during the day, not much at night and not for long. Recovery was still pretty good -- it's just what suits YOU that counts.
I think the hip is just a baby and is now trying to find its correct alignment with my two new knees

Any input on that ?
Yes, your body will be making major adjustments to the new geometry, this takes time and causes all sorts of weird aches and pains. They all go away.

I iced all the time I was down, day and night. I used an ice machine with frozen bottles in the 'tank'. It circulated wonderfully cold water into a baffle that was wrapped around my knee. I was addicted to ice!

Thank you so much guys for your help and experienced based advise
I’m sooo glad I found this site

Hi guys
Tomorrow marks week 2 of my new knees
I keep up with my exercises , icing and elevating etc
Pain is not that bad and managed well with my pain meds
I’m awaken more at night with having to go to the bathroom then anything else....keep those fluids going

The question I’m presenting is the nagging stiffness around my knees.
It did last week also include my upper calf but for most part is all around my knee now.
I can get easily beyond 100 degree flex but dam it’s like this massive ace wrap tightened all around my knees making bending frustrating at times

Is this stiffness normal two weeks out
Any tips on helping resolve issue
If someone experienced the same then how long did it take for it to go away.

Sorry I’m pitting myself . Been a crappy weekend with snow and cold

Lord when I get back to normal don’t let me near a zoo. I think I’ll go and let all the caged animals out... I know how they feel

Well thanks for putting up with me
Any answers to my questions will be greatly appreciated...

Sincerely
Caged in Massachusetts

Oh that band feeling. I remember it well.
It does go away.. I remember the day sitting here and suddenly realized.. where did it go and when??? The days I do too much and it swells I get it back a bit but it’s so short lived.

The stiffness holds on forever. Often the last thing to go. It doesn’t take much for that to surface- especially in the mornings.

But your flex is fantastic!!!

Don't worry about gaining weight with all your snacking. It may seem like you're eating a lot but your body is using a lot of energy to both heal and do all your daily activities. You'll be fine.

One snack I enjoyed with my knees were the flavored prunes that come in a big resealable pouch. They taste great, are healthy and really give you that "bathroom boost" that can be important when you're on pain meds or spending a lot of time in the recliner.

It sounds like you're doing very well, except for that fainting spell. Keep the water and small snacks often going!

You’re able to exceed 90, which at 5 weeks now for me is still a dream. It feels like I’m walking with a balloon filled with water around my knee and when I try to bend it, it simply cannot. You’re not alone!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back